HubSpot Ideas

wilsontayar

Define custom Return-Path without a dedicated IP

Currently, if the portal does not have the dedicated IP add-on, all e-mails are sent using a "hubspotemail.net" domain in the "Return-Path" header.

By doing so HubSpot is breaking SPF Alignment rules. SPF and DKIM alignment are positive indicators and should be considered for the security of users, even those that do not need a dedicated IP setup. 

Competitors are already offering this feature with a simple CNAME entry, see: https://postmarkapp.com/support/article/910-how-do-i-add-a-custom-return-path 

Without proper return-path values, all DMARC reports and Google's Postm Authentication reports show SPF fails, making it harder to detect problems and postponing companies to fully implement DMARC's quarantine/reject policies.

42 Replies
kfox

This should definitely be an option given by Hubspot.

GrayTShirt

Have to second the DMARC compliance. I could really use the option to set Return-Path

PWD

Please correctly support SPF for DMARC compliance. DKIM alone can break for many reasons. For example, DKIM breaks if a recipient has an email gateway such as ProofPoint that rewrites web links in order to pass through a scanner.

jaschris

We are seeing SPF alignment as a major issue also, please consider fixing this known issue.

olalofgren

Agree. This should really be added for better dmarc compliance 

kbpc
Participant

Same issue here as well, we're looking to start enforcing DMARC, but simply cannot as 100% of the emails we're sending via Hubspot are failing the SPF requirement.

Lumen5KJ
Participant

I agree with all comments thus far. My company also needs to properly enforce DMARC, and having 0% SPF alignment from HubSpot is a serious blocker and pain point.

Lumen5KJ
Participant

Heads-up to everyone following. Please consider upvoting this Idea, which is closely related to this one. Hopefully, we can collectively get more visibility on both Ideas so that it gets flagged for consideration by the HubSpot product team.

MPrentice
Participant

Agree that something needs to be done to improve SPF compliance here.

Due to this type of issue, we've moved away from all HubSpot emails and we use SendGrid for all of our transational emails now. This has resulted in almost none of our emails getting blocked or not being received, which was a major issue while using HubSpot emails (for example after a HubSpot form is filled out).

JMcLeod7
Participant

Please add the custom Return-Path option. DKIM alone doesn't ensure a message won't be blocked. We need to comply with SPF authentication also and the eturn-Path is what we need to do that.

jrm_krb

Just adding my thumbs up to the thread as this is quite surprising that Hubspot prevents SPF compliance.

AAzmy

it's important to have custom Return-Path option to improve SPF compliance

rlevans
Participant

Adding my support for this idea here. Hubspot accounts for about 60% of our email volume. All of it is SPF unaligned. When we view our deliverability reports with Google and other inbox providers we are constantly dinged by having such a high volume of email from a domain that is unaligned. 

I'm surprised there has been no response to this thread from anyone on the Hubspot product team. 

Chris46

I'm completely blown away that Hubspot has not fixed the custom-return path to ensure proper security and deliverability. Like many others, we rely on high deliverability which has a high correlation to our sales. Hubspot has great functionality to set up email automation to nurture and drive sales with abandoned carts etc. But what's even the point if emails are not delivered properly? It's truly insane.

We have a huge issue avoiding SPAM rating for Outlook (a pretty big email service...), our DMARC policy is perfect with the exception of having a relaxed policy. I have had top deliverability experts going changing wording/content as well as talking to Microsoft, there is nothing wrong except this issue.

When talking to Hubspot they say that your deliverability reports do not have SPAM reports, your email is being delivered correctly. Then I show them screenshots from tests + Glock tests that clearly state outlook email delivery rates as SPAM. This with a perfect 100 sending reputation, no content errors and with the dmarc policy they clearly say is OK to have.

I have not received an answer back in days now and we are looking at switching CRM/CSM only because of this reason. It is a ticking time bomb before even more email services incorporate strict dmarc policy for delivering emails to an inbox, why shouldn't they.

Kinda ironic reading up on HubSpot content on the importance and massive effect of email marketing when they can't even get emails delivered properly or in a secured manner.

rlevans
Participant
Amen to this! We’re in the same boat.
alexnette

Any updates on this HubSpot? This is a huge security and email deliverability miss if you cant offer this!

MSorete

Hubspot team, we really need this to become a feature! Emails might be rejected by clients just because my emails do not contain a return path.

kfox

how are we in 2022 and this still hasn't been implemented... 😢

MSorete

@kfox Hubspot devs since 2020 😴😴

rlevans
Participant

We're coming up on two years of this request being open. 70+ upvotes. I've personally emailed support 3x about the deliverability issues we're continuing to see as a result of not having a custom return path (and other issues with the Hubspot IP set)

Here is a comparison of our domain reputation at Google across two different ESPs. The first is with Sendgrid (average reputation in the high 90's). Sendgrid offers us a custom return path on a $100/mo account (a tiny fraction of what we pay HUBS). The second is with Hubspot (average reputation in the mid-70s).  Guess which email provider gives us the most problems with delayed deliveries, blocklists, soft bounces, etc? 

Hubspot management should be ashamed that they charge the rates they do and provide such poor email infrastructure. I'd switch providers today if we weren't so hooked into the Hubspot ecosystem or if we had more internal resources to manage the migration. 

Increasingly frustrated every time I look at these reports. 

rlevans_1-1651593159554.png

rlevans_4-1651593227695.png