HubSpot Ideas

VikingVentures

Default Meta UTM Parameters ≠ Paid Social

This is a suggestion.

Instead of forcing custom HubSpot Specific UTM parameters to classify leads from Meta (Instagram and Facebook), update Hubspot to recognise the {{placement}} parameter. 

I've been experiencing issues with leads coming in from Instagram ads being classified as "Other campaigns" instead of "Paid social" because the parameters assigned to UTM_medium by the Meta UTM Builder is set to {{placement}} which is dynamically added by Meta, and does not contain "paid," "ppc," or “cpc" (which it needs to according to established HubSpot processes).

The Placements parameter gives a few different values depending on where the ad appeared. Possibilities include:

• Desktop News Feed
  • Instagram Mobile Feed
  • Facebook Marketplace home page or app
  • Facebook Video Feeds
  • Right column on Facebook desktop
  • Instagram Explore
  • Instagram Shop
  • Messenger Inbox

I've had to hack the utm_medium and manually setting it to "paid" to get around this issue and avoid manually updating new leads from "Other Campaigns" to "Paid Social".

I created the utm_placement={{placement}} as a workaround to retain the placement information, but it goes nowhere inside Hubspot. 

It feels like Hubspot should take the default values of the Meta UTM Builder into account for their next update.

Thanks for reading!

1 Reply
Coopr
Contributor

Strong agree!

I created a Facebook ad campaign within HubSpot - then, when the campaign started delivering traffic, I was dismayed to see HubSpot categorizing it as "Other Campaigns" when it was clearly paid social. It took many back and forth messages with HubSpot support for them to finally point me towards this suggestion, and for them to say, essentially, "When you create a paid social Facebook campaign in HubSpot, we won't track and report it as Paid Social, because we aren't integrated with Facebook Ads correctly - instead, you have to go make a manual adjustment to the settings in Facebook to get it tracking correctly to the "Paid Social" category".

That is just silly - if I create an ad campaign in HubSpot, it should just work! Please fix this bug.