HubSpot Ideas

virginiam

Calculate and Report on the Time between Two Properties

I would like to create a custom report where i can see how much time my contacts spend in each stage of their Contact Lifecycle. I am looking for something much like the "time in deal stage" available for deals.

I know that hubspot has the "became a lead date", "became an opportunity", "became a customer date" properties, but I can't seem to get any good report using these.

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
July 17, 2020 10:49 AM

Hey all! It's been awesome to see so much interest in the Time Between properties beta. After consulting with the team, I'm going to move up the public release of this feature to Monday. Hang tight over the weekend and you'll have this feature soon! With that update, I am marking this community post as "delivered".

There were a whole bunch of comments added on to this post that are really about current time in stage, which as I mentioned previously, is a separate challenge altogether and something that will take considerable research to do right.

To make sure your input is heard, please take the conversation about that topic over to this Community post. Give it plenty of upvotes if you care, so we can prioritize it properly. Thanks!

In Beta
July 13, 2020 03:29 PM

Hey all! It was really informative (if a little painful at times) to read all the comments on this post.

Excited to share we've released a new kind of calculated property into beta: "Time Between" properties.

Time Between properties take two existing date properties (like "became a lead date" and "became a customer date") and calculates the duration between them. It's just what you need for creating reports like "average time spent in lifecycle stage" or "average time for Enterprise leads from initial conversion to Go Live", etc. The feedback on the beta so far has been terrific, we're on target to release to all Pro and Enterprise customers in the coming weeks. If you want into the beta, just reply to this update and I'll get your hubs added.

Next: There are SO MANY comments on this post about wanting to measure time spent from entering a stage to today. I want to re-iterate that while that seems basic, creating that functionality that also works with the rest of the HubSpot tools (like Workflows and Reportings) is incredibly difficult to do well and at scale. While that functionality is not part of the initial Time Between properties launch, we are working very hard (think multiple conversations with many, many smart HubSpotters weekly) to figure out how we can make it work. I look forward to updating you all on that soon.

Re: Create "Time in Lifecycle stage" report - changed to: Being Reviewed
April 09, 2020 11:15 AM

We are investigating building out a "Time in Lifecycle Stage" report to provide more insights into contact changes. 

181 Replies
Jim65

Yes - Being in sales this is a necessity.  The "Deal" terminolgy should also be clarified to coincide what is used as common industry standards.  

Hubspot Deal Format

1)Qualified to buy - 2)Presentaiton Scheduled - 3)Decision Maker Brought in - 4)Contract Sent -5) Closed Won - 6) Closed Lost

Preffered Format

1) Lead - 2)Qualified Lead - 3)Customer RFQ - 4)Quoted - 5)Order Won - 6)Order Lost

I need to know the running time that a Deal is in each process after I create a Deal.

A) Show Deal name

B) Show Deal enter date

1) Show running time of how long it has been a Un-qualified "Deal" lead

2) Show running time of how long the lead has been qualified

3) Show running time of how long the lead took to get an RFQ from customer.

4) Show running time of how long the it took to quote the customer from the time of RFQ

5) How long did it it take to win or lose the order 

This is the structure my past comapnies have always docuemnted in other CRM's.  This is what I need and it seams that the "Time in Deal" report is capable of creating it but the the directions seem limited.

slaw
Member | Partner

Agreed! I'd just like to be able to see HOW LONG a prospect has been in a deal stage. We're attempting to focus energy on minimizing the amount of time a deal moves through from start to finish and understanding this would be a huge benefit that HubSpot could create for us. 

stefana

Our team would also like to be able to see the "time in deal stage" on the deal board. We're thinking that we'd be able to set colors to the deals so that with a quick glance, we can see deals in "red" (30+ days), deals in "yellow" (15-29 days) and deals in "green" (0-14 days). The aging of deals is critical for us to understand if we're getting stuck at a specific point in our pipeline. The deal board is great, but without this feature, we're stuck wondering if what we're looking at is good or bad for the company.

WendyV

I could use this information too. I am aware we can look at aggregate data in reports, but I want to be able to drill down by deal owner, stage and lead, and see how much time each lead has spent in each stage. The reps can use this information to plan their work. 

mikael

I feel the same as magandy2. This is possible in most other CRMs. Making this data available on the Deal Board would be a phenomenal addition.

MW
Participant

I couldn't agree more. I was under the impression that I could be able to report this already and finding that it's not already an option is really disappointing. This information can help us see from an overall level when things aren't moving as they typically should and helps us catch errors!

AlanR
Contributor

Fully agree and thanks for posting.

Sales doesn't always operate by going through EVERT stage of the funnel and it's not unusual for stages to be skipped in the sales process. There are even instances when some leads go straight to 'Closed WON'. In such instances, I would expect the skipped 'stages' in the funnel to automatically calculate at 100% conversion, because that's essentially what has happened. As it stands, 100% of all opportunities in the funnel would need to progress through every single stage in order, so that we can calculate a meaningful conversion for each stage.

Thanks

jsg121
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all, thank you for the feedback! This is not something that we are focused on right now, so I'm updating the status to "Not Currently Planned." We'll let you know if anything changes!

magandy2

I originally put this idea out there in April of 2017. Looks like a fair amount of support for the idea yet it took 18 months to even get a response from Hubspot? 

jalagrange
Participant

I just started learning about Hubspots reports and this small change would make a huge difference for us. Sometimes a deal may skip a step and jump directly into the following one. In this instance, said deal is not displayed in the "Show deals that have gone through all stages" which is the only report that reports back conversion rates from one stage to the next. It would be ideal if Hubspot would assume that if a deal skipped a stage, said deal also went through the "skipped" stage. This would allow the conversion rate to be consistent and true without every sales rep having to place a deal in every stage despite perhaps skipping a stage (which can happen if deals acccelerate)

carlosxcl

+1. This is a dealbreaker for us as it makes accurate reporting a massive pain. Currently looking at alternatives for our CMS. 

CS1977
Participant

Hi

Why is this not being developed!!!

I'm a big fan of HubSpot but this is a crucial piece of MI for any sales ops team. 

Leaving it as it is means that I can only spot issues of deals being stuck 'after the fact' ie. when the have finally been moved to closed lost or won after months of inaction .  We should be able to see real-time if any deals are stuck in a particular stage and take action.

Not impressed at all with this response from HubSpot.

niek83

Hi,

We also need this in order to trace how long deals are 'stuck', or which deals haven't moved for a very long time.

This is a crucial insight to streamline and monitor the sales process.

Reports are not only to report 'after the fact' but also to keep an eye on the current deals. 

I agree with the reaction above that we are not impressed with the reaction from Hubspot. You have 64 upvotes, yet decide not to plan it 'because you are not focussing on it'. How hard can it be to use the CurrentDate and substract the date a deal entered a certain stage, and display that outcome ? This is all we ask....

NicoP

Same here... This information is a must-have. For report mainly in our case. The "time in stage" don't work for current stage and it is a huge lack. And it could be useful too for identifying deals/contact stuck in a stage since X days.

cscott

I would like for there to be a feature that allows users to start, stop, and log a time within a ticket so time spent on a ticket can be tracked properly. In any other CRM I have dealt with this has been a standard feature.

rachelhering

I agree. Marketo does this, Hubspot should as well.

mbutterworth
HubSpot Employee

Thank you for posting this idea @virginiam! I agree this would be a valuable feature and I hope it's something we can see in the future.

Marlene
Contributor | Platinum Partner

I agree with this idea. It would be very helpflu feature.

emurray

I'd like to echo something from the developer forum:

We would like (read: need) to be able to track time spent in ticket stage, the same way we can currently track time spent in deal stage.

https://integrate.hubspot.com/t/want-to-track-time-spent-in-each-ticket-status/15060/3 

shawnfreeman
Participant

This is a MUST for us since we are an IT support company, we need to track time both for billing and overall scheduling and employee utilization.