HubSpot Ideas

VagaeNatus

Date-filters: Improve Options Across all of Hubspot [Master Idea]

Idea: Make all Date-filters available everywhere they are relevant.

Background: 

Hubspot is missing date-filters in multiple places and is not consistent (i.e. different date-filters are available at different places) about them. This issue drastically reduces the power of filters, reports, automation and marketing, etc. Fixing that would be high impact, it's a core platform feature, with impact on all products.

There has been 15+ ideas on the forum about missing date-filters for filters, reports, lists, workflows, ... everything. Those ideas were at first aimed to request one date-filter in one place. This master idea aims at grouping all smaller ideas, giviing visibility to this "Date-filters" issue and getting it prioritized as one overall review of "Date-filters" across Hubspot. Because the only solution is for Hubspot to fix Date-filters everywhere, by working just on that.

Things currently not possible on Hubspot (i.e. use cases):

1/ Filter contacts with last activity is more than 10 days ago

2/ Filter deals with a close date that is in the past

3/ Build Report on Deals with last activity is more than 30 days ago

I want to give my sales team a filter of contact not contacted since 14 days. I am expecting to go to contact and to save a filter but the Date-filter required to do that is missing.

4/ Build List of Contacts with customer/deal who expire in the next 30 days

5/ Build List of Contacts with deal created last week.

Etc...

Research:

I've been comparing all Date-filters and noticed there are 11 types of Date-filters currently available on Hubspot (see screenshot below). The issue is that those Date-filters are randomly available on:

- Contact WF but not Deal WF

- on List but not on Report

- on Dashboard but not Contact Table

Etc. There seems to be no logic and that this is just the results of features coming one after the other while Date-filters never receiving focus as one topic.

This feature request is not about creating new Date-filters but only about making all the ones currently existing available everywhere, it is relevant to have them. In a nutshell, that means turning all Red cells below to Green.

HS_Jun_2019_-_Dates_Filters_-_Google_Sheets.png

Some of the smaller ideas this master idea is grouping under one roof.

2017, Use 'relative' dates for enrolling contacts and companies in workflows by @Daniel1 

2017, Allow the use of relative dates in workflow... by @CCasemore (marked delivered but that's not fully the case)

2017, Filter using relative date values ("TODAY" etc.) by @Frank 

2017, Lead scoring - Add the option to refine... by @laurao93 

2018, Sales workflows deal properties based on dates by @Peter-marketing 

2019, More than filter for report timeframe by @krispag 

55 Replies
Mary_Pouliot
HubSpot Employee

@VagaeNatus Thank you for organizing this so meticulously! I was just on the phone with a customer that has a similar request and he was able to reference this post to explain the feature he is looking for. I've upvoted this post and hope to see the satus change to "in planning" soon!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would help in so many ways, thank you!!

Jams
Participant

100% agree, great work 🙂

chris_p_lukes
Contributor | Elite Partner

This would be very helpful.

For the "Is after/before property" filters (third filter column in the spreadsheet in the original post, i.e., comparing two date properties against each other), it would also be useful to be able to compare date properties across objects (e.g., compare a Contact Date property against a Date property on the associated Company -- although contact workflows allow comparison of Company date properties against each other, I'm finding I have to temporarily copy a Contact property to the Company in order to compare against another Company property.

E.g.,

Is Contact Date Property before Company Date Property X?

1. Copy Contact Date Property to Company Date Property Y

2. Compare Company Date Property Y vs. Company Date Property X

3. (Possibly clear Company Date Property Y if intend to just temporarily support this comparison)

^ This workflow could cause conflict if multiple associated Contacts might have different values for Contact Date Property and would be enrolling in the workflow at the same time -- really I should be able to compare the Contact property directly against the Company property (without requiring edits to the Company record), to determine if the workflow needs to do anything with each particular contact.

GraehamF
Participant

Yes, please!

sspinolaNG
Contributor

Ditto. Last Quarter is available in Website Analytics but not Social Reports. It's hard to report on all your marketing efforts if you can't synchronize dates.

BobBalm1
Contributor

This is masterful, thanks!

I wanted to add: please create a Wait until Fixed Date step for Workflows.

I know I can use Workflows centered on date for this, but that just feels needlessly complex and kills other options. 

Consider this use case: Today I wanted to create a workflow for an event. General steps:

1. Enroll on form submission
  2. Send confirmation email
  3. Wait until X time before event
  4. Send reminder email with venue info etc.

Seems simple enough, until I realised that there's no option for 3. 

I then looked at centering the workflow around a date. That solved 3, but now I had to find a solution for 2, because that happens relative to when the contact sumbits the form (i.e. immediately). And you can't do that in a workflow. 

I realised that I could create a follow-up email or simple email on the form for this, but that required me to recreate from scratch the entire email I had just made. That's a separate frustration altogether, but in short, my request:

Get rid of separate date-based workflows and add 'wait until X time before/after X' as workflow action.

Let me know if this is better off in a separate idea.

ridingforlife
Top Contributor

BIG +1 for this please!

We'd like to be able to do a task based on a travel date property in the deal record. For example, send a "your trip is coming up" email X days before their travel date.

Beka
Contributor

This would be very helpful for marketing email filters.

The refine by date filter for contact was sent "specific email" is only based on before and after static dates.

We really need - contact was sent "specific email" in the last __ days. So that we can send the next in a series if they already recieved the first email within a certain amount of time.

Current work around....

Workflow for email send:

Trigger > Branch: is contact on static list "marketing email X sent in last __ days" > No: send email X, Yes: send email Y

Workflow for static list used above:

Trigger: Email X sent > add to Static List > Delay ___ days > Remove from Static List.

mitchellkp
Top Contributor

Here's my use case: 

MollUser1
Contributor

I notice the different filter options for a date too. It would be super helpful if they would be consistent.

Right now I would really appreciate a filter for "Close Date/Renewal Date (from a company) is in 3 month"

-> or of course any other specific time frame.

Please consider adding all these filter options.

Thank you.

khamer
Participant | Partner

@VagaeNatus How are you or your team-building workflows and or lists for triggering workflows with so many of the date fields being used to build lists not accessible?

Gryzzly_io

We're using Deals during the trial period of our users.
After 30 days of Trial I'm moving the Deal and modifying some properties based on other workflows.
But the property at the center of it all is a "Deal" property: "Installation date", and I need to be able to use the filters "is more than" or "is less than" to play around the trial period of 30 days.
I must have it.

Right now I must copy this property to all contact properties. It is silly and inconvenient af !

This must be fixed, such a small feature and request looking at a tool such as hubspot and its price. And looking at how long people have asked for it, seriously Smiley Mad

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Sales-workflows-deal-properties-based-on-dates/idi-p/...

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Workflow-Deal-Property-Last-Date-Contacted-Trigger-ad...

Beka
Contributor

@Gryzzly_io have you tried using a  list for this?

You would have a workflow like the following...

Trigger: Installation date is known

Action: Add to static list "Trial Period"

Delay: 30 Days

Action: Remove from from static list "Trial Period"

Then you can use the list membership in filters to show deals on that list/ in the trial period.

(Alternatively, you could just delay then add to a list "Trial Period Complete" which could trigger other workflows)

Gryzzly_io

@Beka Excellent idea !
There are so many possibilities in Hubspot, sometimes we forget how we can use features to various ends.
I'm going to give it a serious thought. Thank you very much !

DavidTheASF

Excellent proposal.  I would like the 'export submissions' option in Forms to be date defined (ddmmyyy to ddmmyyy) as I need to capture the applications we receive on a calendar month basis.  It would also be useful if I could archive historic submissions by ddmmyyyy to ddmmyyyy.

Thanks!

JakeRubin
Participant

Hi everyone, I have a slight fix that may help you when building workflows. 

The more than _____ days from now and less than _____ days from now in deals allow negative numbers.

For instance you can set a rolling date range by saying something is more than -30 days from now and less than 30 days from now.

This helped resolve my issue. Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 2.59.16 PM.png

TELLandTRAiN

Simply adding an 'is not' boolean logic option would fix a lot of issues here and is my reason for replying here. I want to find all acccounts who's last contacted is not in the last 30 rolling days. Can't do it in HS. Yikes.

dmastin
HubSpot Product Team

Hi, there.

My name is Davis and I'm a product manager on the reporting team here at HubSpot. As @VagaeNatus pointed out, there are a lot of inconsistencies with what filtering is available where in the tool.

I wanted to let you all know this is something we've been reviewing and are actively planning to improve across HubSpot. Thank you all for your help.

Sincere regards,

Davis

bkeller
HubSpot Product Team

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this review and thanks @VagaeNatus for such a detailed dive into underlying issues of filtering. We are in the process of reworking the "wiring" of our filter system at which point we will be able to solve many of the issues you have outlined. As we roll out improvements I will keep this idea up to date.