HubSpot Ideas

grayson

Customizing "log activity" in HubSpot CRM

Hi HubSpot Development Team, 

I recommend revisiting the idea to customize log activity in HubSpot Sales. I would like my team to track "Direct Mail," and I've seen others asking about logging texts and in-app messaging. 

Thanks for considering!

Grayson 

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
January 17, 2024 09:25 AM

Hi all a couple of years ago, we released 7 new logged activity options based on what we saw in this post. Could you please submit this short form if you still have a logged activity type that isn't being supported? Thank you!

kman_1-1705511699748.png

Re: Customizing "log activity" and Task type in HubSpot Sales - changed to: Idea Submitted
December 20, 2018 05:36 AM

Hi everyone, I'm going to update this idea as 'Idea Submitted'. To be fully transparent, the mistake was mine in interpreting these discussions as the need to customize Call & Meeting types - this feature was in beta and is now live (details below).

However, I understand that the need here is to identify, track and report on custom activities. I have made a note of this change and demand and will be taking this to Product, I know this is something they are aware of and reviewing but I do not have any further update at this time. To set expectations the next report I bring to the Product team will be early January. 

I apologize for the miscommunication here and will endeavor to get you an update on this idea. 

How to set custom call and meeting types:

How it works

• Navigate to Settings > Sales > Call & Meeting Types.

• Click “Enable Call and Meeting Types.”

• Add your types.

Inline image 1

• Then, when you’re logging an activity from a record in your CRM, simply click “Select Call Type,” and choose your desired type.

Inline image 2

What about reporting?

With the update, call/meeting type is now represented in two pre-built reports within the report library, and can also be used to build custom reports.

The two pre-built reports look like this, and live under "Prospecting:"

• Call and meeting totals (by type). Holistically, are there trends in the types of calls/meetings your team is having?

• Call and meeting leaderboard (by type). This report shows you the total number of meetings and calls each of your reps are having, by type. Did one rep have more pre-qualification calls, while another had more demo calls? Use this report to find out.

In addition to the pre-baked reports, Reporting Add-on or Sales Professional users can create custom reports using the Call/Meeting Type data.

251 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

We want to do something like this down the road but there are a few roadblocks in our way before we can get there.

codipeterson
Participant

This is something that my team could benefit from as well! We'd like the ability to log custom activity types such as "text, direct mail, etc"

timritchie2005
Participant

It would be nice to be able to create a "Proposal" task type.

tomothick

We ould like to be able to edit the task types to make them more relevant to our business, we would still keep call, email, to-do etc. but add others in too.

craigvarcoe

What a great idea. Customisable "Task Types" would make life a lot easier for our Sales Team, and asks could then be used to report on KPI's! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our team is currently evaluating the best way to give users more logging options. If anyone would be interesting in speaking with us (the product team) about their use case, feel free to shoot me a direct message and we can set up some time to talk!

rodrigo_santos
Participant

We need a basic way to create and track different tasks, like LinkedIn and WhatsApp or any other that teams need to create and track.
PipeDrive has it and HubSpot has been discussing this since February 27, 2017.

It’s sad.

dan360MD

How many votes do we think it takes to make this a reality? 

aesclama

Great Idea. We want to be able to track task types that are for prospects from a specific, low value contact list, but do not want those tasks to interfere with other tasks that are "real" against vetted opportunities.  It is kind of like a task priority but taht is also not modifiable.  We want to be able to filter these out of some taks reports (eg. current tasks overdue)

JakeW
Contributor

Chiming in to say that we would use this!

lupinehollow

Yes, seconded!! I really need this for tracking comments/conversations on social media. 

Autorun

Waiting for solution (it make sense to add Skype, WhatsApp, etc.).

edeutsch

Hi. Would love to be able to add or edit the task categories 

craigvarcoe

For everyone who has commented and upvoted this idea - please also do it on another thread that has more upvotes etc. 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Custom-properties-for-Activities-Tasks-Meetings-etc/i...

craigvarcoe

Custom Activities Are A Must For HubSpot

Totally agree with all the points raised above. This functionality is especially important in a post COVID-19 world where many organisations will be changing their processes and require customisation across activities (meetings, call, tasks)

A great example would be the addition of different tasks types like; "video meeting", "create quote", "follow-up quote" etc. 

Custom Activity Types Allocated To Specific Users or Teams

To further the idea, customised activity types should be allocated to various "team views" or specific users.

For example, a custom task type for our Sales Team could be "Create quote". Our Project Management Team (who manage a deal once it is "won") will never use this task type. Instead, they can have their own bespoke suite of tasks types that could include "Complete construction site Health & Safety documentation" or "Order & send product to construction site".

For Enterprise CRM users particularly, this level of functionality is a must to ensure the platform continues to suit our diverse business needs. 

Cheers, 

Craig

Diana_Cristin
Participant

a sales calendar to accurately measure productivity need to be able to create custom activities and these need to show up in reports (eg office days vs site visits etc). 

grogers
Participant

Being able to customize Task Type, similar to Call & Meeting Types, would have enormous benefits from a tracking and reporting perspective - particularly for things scheduled in the future. Here's a simple use case: Salesperson needs to create a proposal next week for a new prospect so they add a Task with a Type called "Proposal" and a due date of next week. The Sales Manager has a widget on their dashboard to track "Number of Proposals by Rep/Week" that would filter for this Task Type. Then they would be able to see both proposals that were completed for a specified time period (last week/month/quarter) and propsals scheduled for a future time period (next week/month/quarter). This could apply to an infinate number of different Task Types to track common sales activities.

BryanWatkins

I agree!  Having more than "To-do, Call, or Email" for task types/categories would be very beneficial.  Then they could be sorted and grouped as well.  A lot of us wear multiple hats and being able to group or sort tasks by editable categories would be awesome, as not all tasks are created equal.

nfbuckley
Participant

At the very least, it would be nice to expose the "Activity Type" to tasks. Currently when logging a call or email you can categorize based on the type. Since tasks are handled as engagements by the API, why not allow tasks to be categorized by type as well? As is, the only way to tell one task type from another is by the subject, which is problematic for a number of reasons, and makes tasks totally useless for any meaningful reporting.

CamilleC

I am seeing a lot of the communications in 2017/2018, is this something that has been resolved or is it still in consideration?