HubSpot Ideas

grayson

Customizing "log activity" in HubSpot CRM

Hi HubSpot Development Team, 

I recommend revisiting the idea to customize log activity in HubSpot Sales. I would like my team to track "Direct Mail," and I've seen others asking about logging texts and in-app messaging. 

Thanks for considering!

Grayson 

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
January 17, 2024 09:25 AM

Hi all a couple of years ago, we released 7 new logged activity options based on what we saw in this post. Could you please submit this short form if you still have a logged activity type that isn't being supported? Thank you!

kman_1-1705511699748.png

Re: Customizing "log activity" and Task type in HubSpot Sales - changed to: Idea Submitted
December 20, 2018 05:36 AM

Hi everyone, I'm going to update this idea as 'Idea Submitted'. To be fully transparent, the mistake was mine in interpreting these discussions as the need to customize Call & Meeting types - this feature was in beta and is now live (details below).

However, I understand that the need here is to identify, track and report on custom activities. I have made a note of this change and demand and will be taking this to Product, I know this is something they are aware of and reviewing but I do not have any further update at this time. To set expectations the next report I bring to the Product team will be early January. 

I apologize for the miscommunication here and will endeavor to get you an update on this idea. 

How to set custom call and meeting types:

How it works

• Navigate to Settings > Sales > Call & Meeting Types.

• Click “Enable Call and Meeting Types.”

• Add your types.

Inline image 1

• Then, when you’re logging an activity from a record in your CRM, simply click “Select Call Type,” and choose your desired type.

Inline image 2

What about reporting?

With the update, call/meeting type is now represented in two pre-built reports within the report library, and can also be used to build custom reports.

The two pre-built reports look like this, and live under "Prospecting:"

• Call and meeting totals (by type). Holistically, are there trends in the types of calls/meetings your team is having?

• Call and meeting leaderboard (by type). This report shows you the total number of meetings and calls each of your reps are having, by type. Did one rep have more pre-qualification calls, while another had more demo calls? Use this report to find out.

In addition to the pre-baked reports, Reporting Add-on or Sales Professional users can create custom reports using the Call/Meeting Type data.

251 Replies
Bumblelion

Is there a way to add custom task "types" ? Currently i only have the option to choose from Email, Call or Meeting. I'm wondering if I can create custom "Types" ie. Text Message or Fax ?

Thanks

hshafter
Participant

Direct Mail was also something that our company was interested in tracking.

Along with that, we wanted a way to track project delivery interactions versus sales/prospecting contacts -- since we use the CRM to track all communication with the client, including logistics and invoicing.

I think if HubSpot just added these 2 options, it might not be necessary to open up entirely to customization. I understand the value of using a set number of activities to track metrics.

sellerdoer
Participant

I LOVE that you added options for logging calls (e.g., reached, left message, etc.)

I'd like to have a category other than email, meeting, and call. 

I sometimes send direct mail or handwritten notes. I'd like that to be a fourth option. 

Thanks. 

MSFTWNESH

This feature is very critical to my workflow.  I currently use insightly as a CRM, but wanted something that I could have more users for free.  I love the way I can create and customize as many "Categories" as I want to "code" my tasks.  The  "Deal" Pipeline & Stages feature is a similiar concept to "coding", but cannot assign the "Deal" to someone else to complete a particular stage.  Maybe I'm missing it, but I cannot find a way to assign a Deal to someone else.  With Insightly, I can easily assign the task to someone, we can then make notes on the task, change the code (type), and make our notes and it remains in their queue until it's assigned to someone else or marked complete.  Please go to Insightly to see how they have their task options set up.  I will continue using Insightly for now, but feel free to email me when this feature is more flexible.  Thank you

@Bumblelion wrote:

Is there a way to add custom task "types" ? Currently i only have the option to choose from Email, Call or Meeting. I'm wondering if I can create custom "Types" ie. Text Message or Fax ?

Thanks

David_Kennedy

Yes PLEASE!

Please add an "Other" to Log Activity so I can type: "reached out on LinkedIn" or "filled out contact form on website" or whatever, thanks!

David

JasonC
Contributor

Great Idea, but I think we should be able to make our own drop down options we would make a bunch such as "Stop In", "LinkedIn Connect", LinkedIn Message" etc...

ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

Text message option

norsini

+1 vote

In regards to logging e-mail, be able to mark the message as message being "received" from a person.

mlynch

I agree...this would be a great feature and will enable greater use of the Task workflows

SarahN
Contributor

This would be amazing. We have certain tasks we complete on each account as separate times. I would love the option to make those activities a category to log.

JeffR

I would like to be able to log an inbound call as such. We receive return calls or inquiries from customers and it would be helpful to identify when they contacted us as well as when we contacted them.

bcp1992

I also would love to track calls outbound and inbound, emails sent and received (especially when manually populating contact info from a previous CRM), as well as text conversations.

Until HubSpot develops an SMS service, I'm fine copying and pasting conversations from my Google Voice. It would just be great to have a designated place to do it in Log Activity. Currently, I log my text conversations as successful or unsuccessful calls rather than just notes, since I can track the date and time of the conversation.

AnnaSeattle
Participant | Partner

We'd like to be able to add a "proposal sent" activity option. We use a digital platform to execute 90%+ of our documents, but for the companies who need a format outside of our usual template, we have to send them a hardcopy (e.g. Word), and have had trouble finding a way to measure this. 

cpayne992003

I've been using Hubspot for many years and wondering if there a plans to subcategorize the log activities selections; specifically meetings. It would be nice for sales to be able to distinguish between internal meetings client meetings, and tradeshows or events and be given an option to time stamp the length of each meeting. On a weekly, basis I attend at least 3 internal or vendor partner meetings, 3 or 4 off site client meetings and at least one trade show. Being able to accurately report the different types would help my supervisor have a better sense of where my time is spent.

clwydp
Participant | Diamond Partner

It would be useful to be able to playback at increased speed to review a call rather than having to listing to the complete call in 'real time'.

chelocean
Participant

Agree, inbound calls, inbound voicemail, and texting would make a difference to our company!

mscottz6

I also would like to see more ability to customize activities: we need to be able  to log things like "rec'd PO" , etc.

JasonC
Contributor

I think we should be able to make custom "Activity Type" and custom "Activity Result" that way we can also make a workflow to automate a task based on the type and result.

Example: Call with the result of no answer sends email #1

Call with the result of Voice Mail sends email #2

VagaeNatus
Key Advisor

Hello, 

On Deals, the only possible options for "Log Activity" are: Email, Call and Meeting. This is not enough to reflect the reality.

I would like to have the possibility to add live chat. That would be the option selected for the new Hubspot's chat, for Intercom, messenger, whatsapp, etc.

We are in Singapore and the number one channel for communication is Whatsapp chat. Email and phone are "has been" here.

Mary_Pouliot
HubSpot Employee

In addition to Call, Email, and To-Do, a LinkedIn activity would be helpful for analytics tracking of daily tasks.