HubSpot Ideas

Kim_GP

Customize the close date in deals

When you create a deal, there is a default close date (end of current month). Every month, we have to postpone the close date of our deals to the next month.

In our industry, the time to close is more around 80 to 90 days. The deal forecast will be more accurate with a close date set 2 or 3 months after the create date. close_date.png

140 Replies
krispag
Top Contributor

Same. Why automatically populate a date if the deal is not closed? After all, there is an expected close date property.

Paul_Good

YES. Please this.

TomS
Participant

We would like to see this as well. Seems like it's not being picked up by Hubspot yet?

rso

Hubspot can drastically improve the user experience by getting rid of the default close date (end of the month) when a deal is created and also when a deal is closed if there is already a value in the close date field

Carlson

Similar to all the previous posts, we would like to configure the close date when creating a new deal. 

Too much work on monthly basis to have the sales team manually update this, seems like this request would benefit all Hubspot users. Any work around ideas out there?

krispag
Top Contributor

I propose a default of no Close Date when a deal is newly created as it is unlikely closed at the time of creation. Instead, allow pre-determined values for Expected Close Date, but default that to no value as well. The default for Close Date is truly a pain point for us!

CHHS

@hubspot can you comment on why this is not addressed however this goes back 2+ years?

tomas212
Participant

It's really sad how Hubspot keeps on ignoring this issue although people have been talking about this problem since 2017. Very poor. @cnewtonhubspot @ashahhubspot can you explain?  

LeeHouse
Participant

@tomas212 Sadly unless a request is about a way that @hubspot can make more money in developing a new component that has a subscription model then they are not interested in listening.

There are a number of very small and simple things in the UI/GUI that could be fixed to make the user experience a better one and a more productive one but they are single viewed. They just want more and more intergrators they can sell to and knock out half finished SAAS components that you get tied into.

We leave in a couple of months when our 2nd year is up and will move to Salesforce. I would advise the same.

tomas212
Participant

@LeeHouse Exactly, we have been noticing those small issues that could be solved very easily since we started using HubSpot. It frustrates me because the software itself could be brilliant if they cared about it more and actually listened to us, the people who have bought it in the belief that it's gonna be the right solution for us even though it's not the cheapest solution on the market, by far. I absolutely get why you decided to leave the platform, but we just started using it 4 months ago so it's not really a solution for us. 

Sophie_Higgs
HubSpot Product Team

Hi everyone, 

My name is Sophie, I work on the team that builds HubSpot CRM. I wanted to address this idea and the frustration expressed recently at the end of this thread. The ability to set customize when the close date is set (or what is set to) for each account is something that we are interested in exploring in the future, but it's not on the immediate roadmap for this year.

We treat the deal Close Date property as the expected close date for the deal (until it is actually closed). The property is used in the Deal Forecast report to forecast revenue by month/quarter/year and so we set it automatically to ensure all deals show up in that report. While this property is given a default value, it is expected that the user will change this value to represent the expected close date when the deal is first created. If the user knows that the deal cycle is usually 80-90 days long, they should set the close date to 3 months time to reflect that (ensuring the deal forecast report is somewhat representative of the pipeline). When the deal is finally moved to a closed lost or closed won stage, we will update the deal close date to that day automatically to ensure accurate reporting and reduce the effort required to close a deal. 

In terms of why this feature request has not been addressed sooner, while it is absolutely true that the more votes an idea gets the more likely it is to be reviewed by HubSpot's product team, there is no guarantee that ideas will be implemented based on a critical mass of votes. That said, it's not our intention, ever, for customers to feel unheard and we're actively looking into means of closing the loop in a faster and more transparent way.

If you have specific feedback about the CRM that you believe will make it easier and more efficient to use, please don't hesitate to message me directly. 

Best,

- Sophie

asinc

Hi Sophie - thanks for respond. I too need to change it for my business however I want to leave as a date. I work in real estate investments so the date received is more impactful. Is there a way to leave it as a date and just change the text so I can say "date received" vs. "close date" ??

phodgen

Yes, this is very frustrating. When I only want to sort deals by the ones that ACTUALLY have closed not just a random date in the future. Make this a toggle so we can turn it on or off. 

Smartlage

I would love this to stay blank until the deal is actually closed. Having the date default to end of month is tough to manage.

slucci

Glad I'm not alone on this.

Gotta say, even though I see the logic in requiring a default date for the Deal Forecast Report,  why not at least allow users to customize the default date?

Ultimately, I would personally prefer if this could be customized to default with no value at all, but w/e.

cvaage-actgloba

I feel that this property should either not exist or be able to be edited and customized. 

It's not helpful to my company the way it's default set up.

Yes it's helpful to know when a deal is closed won/lost but it's more important to note when a deal is expected to deliver/project complete. 

I'd rather customize that so it shows below the deal name and amount, the expected completion date. 

It's currenty usless and confusing the way it is now. 

I have to tell our sales team to basically ignore it. 

Also, the upvote feature is broken so I can't upvote this. 

GregDuffy
Participant

I agree that it's not always helpful to be limited in what you can display on the deal boards.  I'd like to see the ability to change it. Personally, I'd put one of our value fields in there if I could.

krispag
Top Contributor

It just makes no logical sense to me why they auto-populate the Close Date on a deal that is not closed. Would it not be more logical to anticipate the Expect Close Date and leave the Close Date cleared until it actually closes? On the deals board, for any deal which is not closed, display the Expect Close Date. For any deal in a closed deal stage, display the Close Date. Why is this so difficult?

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

@Kim_GP @krispag @GregDuffy @cvaage-actgloba @slucci 

I agreed that the deal close date needs our help. Here is the thing, this is a property we can easily edit when the deal is set up.  There is nothing that can predict when we want the deal to close. 

@jennysowyrda while this has been submitted over 2 years ago, are there any plans to make adjustments to deal close dates or is this a tabled idea?

Thanks.

SDesigns

Absolutely agree, just increasing the chance that bad or innacurate data will be captured by autopopulating a date. Please make this field customizable!