HubSpot Ideas

MichaelC

Creating contacts and/or companies in workflows

Today it is possible to create a deal from a contact or a company workflow. But it is not possible to create a contact or a company from a deal workflow. Trying to automate as much as possible of our sales processes this sometimes accours to be an issue in my workflows. 

You are free to create and set properties to deals, contacts, companies freely. So behind the scenes a lot of data can be created - copied - moved around the different properties. But to make things simple: In the contact properties there is a default property called "company name". Lets say a contact is created through a form and the contact himself fills in his/hers company name. Then it would be great if a workflow catched that and create a company based on the company name - and from there its possible to create tasks et cetera to continue. So - creating companies is therefor a obvious good thing.

I do lack some motivation to why contacts should be created by a workflow - but I found that anything is possible in hubspot doe to the flexibility in properties. So why restrict the great functions by not being able to create contacts from workflows. One example I can think of is that a deal is manually created by a sales representative - then from there I might want some basic things to simplify the representatives time by creating contacts based on properties in the deal. 

At least give us the posibility and freedom to make the choice for ourselves. 

Kind regards,

Michael

23件のコメント
jjin
HubSpot Employee

Leaving the use case on behalf of the customer, the customer's sales team creates the deals when they receive the call from the customers (or leads), sometimes some of them don't give them the details of their information (they only know the phone number) so that the sales team is not able to create the contact but still create the deal. Once they can get enough data by having several calls, they can create the contact and associate with the deal so they would like to create the contact based on data on deals.  

jlyman
参加者

I need this too!!  I have a few workflows that copy a contact property over to a company property, but I've just discovered that if there is no company to start with then it doesn't actually create the company??  I also need it to automatically create a company from the contact property: Company Name. 

goetzchr
参加者

This would be awesome

tom_maxwell1984
メンバー

This would be incredibly helpful. We use Automatically create and associate companies with contacts, But this causes problems when the domain doesn't match the business name. We always capture the Company Name in our lead gen forms, and we don't necessarily want to capture their domain as a back up, otherwise we will end up with too many fields. If we could create the company in a workflow from a Company Name property, we will get much better data.

chrisdanilo
メンバー

Ditto.

MichaelC, what have you and your team done in Hubspot to work around this?

Right now, I'm looking into using Zapier to automate some imports.

My goal is to automatically associate companies with contacts.

I'm blown away that I can't do this in Hubspot forms. I had to figure this out the hard way because there's even a "company name" field that associates with a contact in Hubspot forms, but it doesn't actually do anything. The support team confirmed this.

Despite how frustrating it is to figure this out, I understand why Hubspot is set up this way. It'd be really easy to accidentally create duplicates and typos for companies. Like, what if you have Bob's Crab Shack as a customer but they have 22 locations. You might need a unique identifier, like a domain name to separate/associate the points of contact you have at each location.

You're getting better "data validation" if you only rely on a domain name like www.bobscrabshackdelray.com

My issue is that I have customers who have domain names but their emails don't match. Lots of mom and pop shops who might be www.bobandmaries.com but might have an email like bobandmarie@gmail.com

This is my frustration. There's no way to use another field (maybe one that I am wayy more confident in, like phone number or company name) as the "reference key" to associate a company with a contact.

Anyway, what I've discovered is that the only ways you can create a company are:

1. Manually
  2. API (via Zapier or similar)
  3. Import company info using multiple files
  4. Automatically create company and associate with contact by email/domain name

Only using 3 or 4 can you also associate a company with a contact.

There are no known workarounds as of the time I'm posting this on 3/19/2020

Hope this helps someone.

Looking forward to any replies and new workarounds!

chris

FilipTHEO
参加者

This is indeed direly needed as the automatic creation of companies CRM-wide has fallacies. Please make this possible.

FelipeFelix
トップ投稿者

More than a year since this SIMPLE idea was proposed and still none solution from HubSpot.

Come on, this is a really simple but essential feature.

I work at a B2B2C company and we don't want to auto-create companies for B2C clients, but it's essential to create to B2B.

FilipTHEO
参加者

Agreed, when is this being looked at? Auto create option right now is not helpful.

shawnabrishami
メンバー

i'm surprised this hasn't been worked yet after 1 year.

This is definitely a boost. Creating a company in the workflow.

Ability  to use various fields in form would be great too. right now forms are either ticket based on contact based. What id you want to use a company name in the form and on the workflow internal emails etc

BradG
メンバー

Come on HubSpot! You manage to change pricing tiers, and raise costs for every additional contact, but you can't give us a basic feature after an entire year? 

Akamu77
参加者

Ditto, amen, agreed, yep! I have faith in you, HubSpot!  You can do this!

shipjosh
メンバー

Seems pretty simple to implement. Can we get an update on when this feature might be added?

ステータスに更新: In Beta
MeganLegge
HubSpot製品開発チーム

Hi everyone,

The ability to create a Company from a workflow is currently in beta! We're not currently planning to introduce the ability to create a Contact in a workflow, however.

You'll see this as an option in our Upgraded Create Record action. If you don't yet have access to this action and would like it, please send me a direct message with your hub ID.

Create CompanyCreate Company

Let me know if you have feedback : )

Thanks!

Megan

FilipTHEO
参加者

Hallelujah! This is amazing news, we were about to turn on the dreaded auto-create soon. Well done! How does it actually work? What happens if there is already a company in the CRM for a contact but they haven't been associated yet?

ステータスに更新: Delivered
MeganLegge
HubSpot製品開発チーム

Hi everyone,

The ability to create a Company from a workflow is now live to all workflow users! 

You'll see this as an option in our new, consolidated & upgraded "Create Record" action.

In follow up to FilipTHEO's question above, this action doesn't automatically deduplicate if there are companies with the same name, already in your CRM, so you may want to use filtering/branching to check if the enrolled object is already associated to a company before creating one.

Create RecordCreate RecordCreate CompanyCreate Company

Please let me know if you have questions or feedback!

Note: At this time, we don't have plans to introduce the ability to create contacts using this workflow action. 

MichaelC
ガイド役 | Solutions Partner

Great news! Many thanks 😎

EmilVK
メンバー | Solutions Partner

Gamechanger! Thank you!

geekbleek
参加者

Can you provide an update on when creating contacts from workflows will become available?  This is a huge pain point for us and I'm currently using Zapier (which is a pain with lots of records) to create contacts from form submissions - the form itself is populated by another Hubspot contact already in our CRM as they are providing lead referrals to us.  This is a critical function that right now has us looking at alternative platforms, so if you have a beta we can try that would be outstanding to put my business stakeholders on pause!

MeganLegge
HubSpot製品開発チーム

Hi @geekbleek ,

At this time, we don't have plans to introduce the ability to create contacts using a workflow action. 

That said, I wonder if there's still a better solution for what you're trying to accomplish, that would eliminate the need for either Zapier or a workflow. Forms has a relatively new setting that may be helpful for your use case, which ensures every submission with a unique email address creates a unique contact record (this way, one visitor can submit the form multiple times, on behalf of other people):

form settingform setting

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/forms/create-forms#customize-your-form-options

Always create contact for new email address: select this option to create a new contact record for every submission with a unique email address. If the email address submitted matches an existing contact record in your database, the details on the existing record will be updated. 

Let me know if you have questions about this, or if it doesn't fully meet your need.

Best,

Megan

shanestiles
参加者 | Platinum Partner

Need this in order to create joint or similar applicant/holder processes. This is key functionality in the financial industry.