Create dynamic content via smart rules based on ALL UTM parameters

I'm trying to leverage HubSpots smart content to change based on the referral source. Where i'm getting caught up is just how to do this efficiently.

If for example I want to change based on specific parameters, like someone who searched for "Marketing Agency Software". I would want one landing page to change because they clicked my PPC advertisement and made it to my page.

How does the “Paid Search” smart rule work in HubSpot? Is it looking for UTM parameters and changing content? If this is the case, we would want to change the content based on UTM parameters, not just the utm_campaign.

Here’s why...

We want to run our PPC campaigns with dynamic content in this way:

utm_campaign = Marketing Agency Software
utm_content = Feature ABC (content about features ABC)
utm_content = Feature DEF (content about features DEF)
utm_content = Feature XYZ (content about features XYZ)

With this structure, one landing page can replace 3 landing pages in Unbounce. It all rolls up to one aggregate campaign and helps us increase conversion rates for that audience (Marketing Agencies) because we are tailoring our content based on the um_content parameter.

Now, whether the content is based on “utm_content” “utm_term” or “utm_medium” is of no matter to me. But I think the ability to filter content based on these parameters is CRUCIAL to the use of HubSpot smart rules. Otherwise, I don’t see the point of using referral info for smart rules on LANDING PAGES.

That said, smart referral rules for hosted websites is ok.. changing my content on a hosted HubSpot COS website page based on utm_campaign (if that’s how this all works) makes sense in a broad fashion. But expanding that tone level deeper would be even better. Imagine showcasing specific information to the broad audience who found your site… now that is smart.

HubSpot updates
1 Reply
BenjaminRazi
Occasional Contributor

I second that.