Hola! ¡Tenemos nuestra Comunidad en Español!

Create a new SF lead for every form submission

Spoiler
New feature/capability for SF integration.

I'd like to be able to create a new Salesforce Lead for existing Salesforce Contacts when a Contact submits a form.

The scenario is that I want leads created for the Contacts so that they go through the Salesforce lead conversion process.  I have lots of SF contacts that are leads that I want to generate a new SF lead for so Sales reps can qualify or DQ via the SF lead conversion process.

I would like to intentionally create duplicates in Salesforce (same email) and are aware of that.  

There aren't any settings in the Hubspot & Salesforce integration that I see that can help me accomplish this. Integrations & APIs

10 Replies
bradmin
Esteemed Advisor

There's no setting in the connector which will allow you to create new leads in Salesforce on each submission. Since contact uniqueness in the marketing product is designed around the uniqueness of the email, the connector will only talk to one record in Salesforce. While you can edit records in Salesforce with duplicate email addresses and change the association, that association will only be 1:1, based on the way the connector is currently designed. 

Until this is changed, you can use Salesforce web-to-lead forms instead. This will generate new leads in Salesforce on every single submission. However, since this won't be creating contacts that originate within HubSpot, by the time any of those submissions sync to HubSpot, the analytic information will appear the same as any other "offline" record. The tradeoff is duplicate records in Salesforce, versus having HubSpot analytics, but only on a single record. I can't say what will work best for your organization, but you'll have to choose one of the two. 

ksalazar3
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.  Yep, I understand the connector's limitation as I'd already spoken to HS support and read the support articles on it.

Appreciate the alternative route to my idea.  However, as you stated it has its drawbacks as well.  I'd rather stick to HS forms across the board than use SF's forms.  Trying to use SF forms across all our HS landing pages would create exponentially much more time with the amount of LPs we spin out.  

Hubspot product team should really build this functionality in as other MA systems like Marketo & Eloqua can accomplish this.

bradmin
Esteemed Advisor

Thanks, @ksalazar3. If it's any consolation, we're in a similar situation. There are some specific instances in which we'd want duplicate contacts, due to the nature of the hierarchies of accounts we sell to. We're considering using web-to-lead forms for a very small set of low-volume, high-value forms, where browsing behavior would be "known" by that point. 

Granted, that's sort of engineering the workaround to fit the use case, which we'd make as restrictive as possible, to minimize the number of records which avoid originating from HubSpot. 

I do like your suggestion, and I hope the team can consider it. Adding this functionality is important for some orgs, although it would mean designing some very different behavior for how HubSpot (or the connector) considers what a contact is, and its activity.

Cush
Occasional Contributor

I need something similar, but want to keep the tracking element that Hubspot provides

Ashwini
New Contributor

Hi,

I am in a similar situation and struggling to create new leads that has existing contact. If you can add this feature, it will be great.

Thanks

Ashwini
New Contributor

Hi ksalazar3,

Just try a hack for this. I have a referral form which is sent to the existing cutomers and they can refer a friend to us.

At first the lead was not getting created as the contact is laready there in Salesforce, but we needed to create the new lead for the reffered friend.

You need to link the existing contact details, example email with a text field in Salesforce instead of an email field type. 

Create a text field in Salesforce as User details and connect the HUBSPOT email to the User details text field.

It worked for me.

Thanks

romanRG
New Contributor

Sounds like most of you need to move to using contacts only in SF and completely ignore the lead object. You can replicate the lead status on the contact object and work the contacts as you would a lead. This will also allow you to build accounts with contacts for an account owner, thus building targeted account lists. The lead concept is great if you're starting fresh with a CRM. once you have 10's of thounsands of contacts in the system already, it becomes a nightmare to manage both objects.

bradmin
Esteemed Advisor

@romanRG, if you choose the option which uses contacts only, the connector creates private contacts - Salesforce contacts unassociated with an account. These present visibility issues in Salesforce until they're associated with an account that users can see. 

While you could whip up a workflow quickly to assign private contacts created by the integration user to a placeholder account, you'd still be responsible for creating new accounts and assigning the contacts at the placeholder account there. Apex handles this use case nicely, but not every org has developer resources available. 

Having HubSpot create contacts in Salesforce can be a useful tack for orgs who have the resources available to handle account creation/assignment in a touchless way; otherwise, the default of creating leads is recommended. 

romanRG
New Contributor

@bradmin thank you for your reply. is there a help article on using contacts as the default object in SF? we are transitioning to a sales process that uses Contacts only and are trying to see where Hubspot helps/fails in accomplishing this.

This is the first time I'm hearing about private contacts (accountless contacts) in Salesforce. Since this basically means users will have to create an account for every contact that is created in SF from HS (unless one exists), then we would need to create a workflow to help automate this as it's too much hassle and almost defeats the purpose of switching to the contact object. It would probably be easier/quicker to continue using leads and just click the "convert" button in SF to create the account/contact. Any insight would be appreciated...

bradmin
Esteemed Advisor

I don't think there's a help article for this - I tried some very cursory searches and didn't find anything immediately detailing the feature. It's been a few years since I've tested this, and perhaps the connector has changed since then, but the last time I had to do this, a Salesforce contact without an account was created while this setting was enabled. 

You may want to temporarily switch the setting, or set up a HubSpot trial portal with a test Salesforce environment, and confirm this for yourself. 

Salesforce workflows aren't going to be a good solution for reassigning contacts from a placeholder account, but it will work fine to assign them to a placeholder account. To go from the placeholder to the intended place, you'd need some additional automation. Admin tools in Salesforce don't have good functionality for determining "fuzzy" matches, like you'd see in the account and contact picklists on conversion. While Apex works best, you may have some look using Process Builder and Flow together. Your mileage may vary; I haven't tested this, either.