HubSpot Ideas

samanthacrist

Create a Toggle for Internal vs. External Emails to Remove Unsubscribe Module Hardcoding

Hi HubSpot Community,

If you're anything like my organization, you use the email marketing tool as a way to send internal and external emails -- because why wouldn't you, right? You can pull all kinds of data around your internal emails that are going out... if someone says they didn't know about something but you've got open rate and clicks that suggests otherwise, you're able to hold them accountable, etc.

Well, one of the problems with this that we have encountered is we have current internal staff who are opting out of the emails and actually not getting our messages. While we can pull a list of those who unsubscribed and chastise them accordingly, my administration would like to see this module removed as an option completely for our internal emails. Note: This is in compliance with CAN-SPAM laws.

Unsubscribe module required in all out-going emails from the Drag and Drop EditorUnsubscribe module required in all out-going emails from the Drag and Drop Editor

With the way the system is set up now, the module within the drag and drop editor is hard-coded into the template and won't allow you to send the email without having an "unsubscribe" link/"manage your preferences" link present in the footer.

We tried setting the font and link colors to match the background, but the editor is also hard-coded to recognize when the HEX code is the same color and won't allow you to send the email because the text isn't visible.

That being said, we were able to bypass this by changing one number in the hex code (ref. the example below) - but this is annoying and seems counter-intuitive:

Example workaround that worksExample workaround that works

Proposed Solution or Fix:

One of the possible solutions that might work is if you were able to create a toggle within the settings of the subscription types that allows the unsubscribe link to be excluded from internal emails.  This could then be triggered by the Subscription type that is populated within the individual emails.

Maybe the Unsubscribe link is hard coded around the type of out-going emailMaybe the Unsubscribe link is hard coded around the type of out-going email

--------

Not sure if that would work, but I'd be interested in helping you explore different options.

I'd love to hear your thoughts or see if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.

Thanks,

Sam

7 Replies
Luke_Archer

Hi Sam,

I'm having exactly the same challenge – I have a workflow that sends out an automated email to our Sales team when a new lead comes through.

For some insane reason, one of the team has unsubscribed from the notifications and has been missing the leads that were allocated to them.

HubSpot already distinguish between 'Send Internal Email' and 'Send External Email' in the workflow options, so I don't see why the hardcoded unsubscribe link couldn't be removed if the internal option is selected.

Thanks,

Luke

EmmaMusson

Hi Sam and Luke,

I agree with both of you, and would love this functionality for when sending internal emails.

This change gets a vote from me!

Kind regards,

Emma

dtafleur

I'm experiencing the same and agree with you all.

A definite yes from me!!!

Kinds regards,

Dennis

DavidVoigt
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

Count me in!

giuliapavanello

I need something like this too.

zachburger

In addition to this issue, the other is data.

There should be an easier way to exclude internal and external data, so there is not any overlap between the two that will lead to inaccurate lead gen data.

This is the most apparent under Marketing > Email > Health. There is no separation and includes all data from all email outreach, regardless of the type.

kkoltun
Contributor

I completely agree and am running into the same issue. The normal internal notifications don't work for if someone wants to respond to an external party with the email notification (because of the HubSpot portal links and general display). So we need to use the internal marketing email option when processing form submission notifications. If the internal recipient clicks the unsubscribe on accident or purpose, they won't be getting important internal communication. We use this for routing form submissions to sales, accidental service/support requests to our support, and some other routes. This feature is really important!