HubSpot Ideas

Wilco

Create a New Note or Log Activity in a WorkFlow

Is there a way to create a New Note or Log an Activity for a Contact in a workflow? It would seem this should be easy but I could find an anwser anywhere. 

Thanks for any guidance.

24 Replies
BrettLanguirand
HubSpot Employee

Hey @Wilco,

Thanks for the question!

This feature is not currently possible in HubSpot, but you can search, vote for or post this as a feature request on our ideas forum here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/idb-p/HubSpot_Ideas.

One potential workaround is to create a custom contact property that you can choose to seet in a workflow.  I know it's not a perfect or ideal option, but depending on the information that you're looking to apply to a contact record, it might work for you.

Thanks,

Brett

Wilco
Participant

I hired a programmer from UpWork to add this for me for $200. Seems like it would be really simple to add this in the system. I've posted it for an idea as well. Appreciate the feedback.

logan
Participant

Hey Wilco, I'm looking to do the same thing. I'd be interested in the process required to do this. Would you be willing to share?

Wilco
Participant

Sure. I used a freelancer from UpWork. Not sure what he did but here is his profile: https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01ee19aac371f0f19a. He did a great job for me and apparently it's quit easy to do for him.

mbaradell

What did this freelancer do for you? did he help you add notes to contacts via workflow? I'm interested in doing the same thing

charliepinker
Contributor

I'm not the person who hired them, but my guess is that they would have done it using the API.

Sbon

Absolutely need this, seems like it would be quite simple since you can already create tasks via workflows (which is much more complex).

bcarter

This absolutely needs to be a thing!

Have contact forms to create data in a ticket but not user friendly to view this as a property.

Would be far better served as a note where it is clear (although ideally not editable..).

mohney64

We've implemented something like this at our agency, too.

The solution we implemented at our company was:

• Create a new workflow
  • Do whatever you need on the workflow
  • "Trigger a webhook" action in the workflow
    • The trigger should go to a server of your choice (We use Google Cloud Functions, GCF), and have that GCF
  • On that server, your code should leverage the hubspot Engagement API (https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/engagements/create_engagement) to attach a note, meeting, etc, to the appropriate contact, deal, company, whatever. 

Hope that helps. 

MMutsaerts

Although, this should definetly be a standard function in Hubspot I found it to be easily done with Zapier. 

With zapier you are actually able to ad an activity to the workflow, and there you can add a note. I hope this would help some here! 

amandafann
Contributor

I agree with @MMutsaerts! Although it would be nice to do thisin a HS workflow, I was able to easily add Notes using Zapier.  

test12345

Hey @amandafann ! Can you link the zapier integration you used for this?

amandafann
Contributor

@test12345 Here's a screen shot of my basic Zap steps to add a Note to new Tickets:

amandafann_0-1636748728437.png

1) Trigger: new Ticket is created in Hubspot

2) Filter: add your criteria (I only added my notes to a new Tickets in a specific pipeline)

3) Action: Create Engagement in Hubspot. Engagement Type = Note. Add your Note body (bonus: add html to format your note).

I only needed to associated the Note to the new Ticket, so under "Id's of the ticket objects that should be associated with engagement", just add your Ticket ID retreived in Step 1. 

Hope that helps.

amandafann_1-1636748884433.png

JLoomis
Participant

Please add this as a feature. Would make it so much easier to be able to track process right within a record through workflows without having to manually create notes. Thank you!

Participant

Almost 6 years later and still not a function unfortunately. Would be really useful to see this added. 

Thrive
Contributor | Elite Partner

This is now possible with Ops Hub! Ping me if you need any help with this. 

claudiaalbasi
Participant | Diamond Partner

Hi, could you explain how it works? Thank you!

Thrive
Contributor | Elite Partner

I'll send you a message.

GabrielSaleh

Hi, could you explain how it works? Thank you!

Bürobert
Contributor

Another—in my opionion—essential feature. I can not see any technical or design-wise reasoning why this feature is not desirable.
Oh well, we met again my old friend Zapier. Catch some webhooks then...