Cookie Notice/ Data Privacy - Optout for Hubspot and Google Analytics in one central place

Quick Disclaimer: We are using HS COS / Marketing / Sales. We have also implemented Google Tag Manger to manage all our Marketing Tags for (Re)targeting + Run Google Analytics in parallel 

1. You are offering 4 options in your data policy section for the cookie notice (1. No cookies, 2. Acceptance that is using cookies, 3.Option to opt-in / optout from HS tracking, 4. No Cookie notice
  2. With the current upcoming EU Data Privacy regulation, we have to take care of certain things incl the optout cookie (see 3.)
  3. For my website visitors I want to give them a central place where the can optout of tracking ( in our case Hubspot, GA, Facebook / LI / Display retargeting). This place is ideally in the data policy section.
  4. We have implemented this with a Optout Cookie which runs define a firing exception at the Tag Level in Googel Tag Manager
  5. Now to the essential problem
    1. The only way to optout from HS Tracking is via the cookie notice, there is no way to alter the notice and to link a second (let's say "more information") to the data policy where the user could optout the a) hubspot and b) GA tracking
    2. There is no way to replicate the optout link form hubspot tracking on the client side (At least by what your support is telling us)
    3. How do you expect the customer to understand this? Customer will understand the cookie notice, but will definitely not understand that this will only optout from hubspot… I would expect a single point for optout as a customer either in the cookie bar oder in the data policy
  6. Here is my quick fix: make the cookie bar more flexible by allowing an option which is a) accept cookie and b) more information to optout. Under the option b) you put a link to your data policy with an anchor for optout part. Here you can then list all the links to optout from the various system.

HubSpot updates
15 Replies
IC
Regular Contributor

Hello,

this is a very hot right now and important point.

In accordance to GDPR we want to use the Cookie Policy Banner with the Setting "Tell visitors that your site uses cookies and require opt-in". In this case the user has the option to accept or decline/turn-off the cookies. But apart from Hubspot cookies we use e.g. Google Analytics and Piwik cookies. So if we turn on Hubspot Cookie Policy Banner it will turn off only the Hubspot Cookie and the rest of the cookies will run as usual, which is of course against the European GDPR. There should be a possibility to turn on/turn off all the cookies from the cookies banner.

Currently there is no way to have consent for third-party cookies to be linked with a HubSpot cookie banner. It would be a highly important feature right now.

HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Just passing by here. Quick note on the point 5.2. in the original post: this is now possible via Tracking Code API I believe: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/tracking_code_api/remove_cookies

IC
Regular Contributor

Point 5.1. is now also possible. We applied it already on our site www.addison.de - the Data Policy is linked from the Cookie Notice.

liang
New Contributor

"Currently there is no way to have consent for third-party cookies to be linked with a HubSpot cookie banner. It would be a highly important feature right now."

Is it possible to do the reverse? IE, have google analytics look at the cookie opt-ins from hubspot, and if there is an opt-in, it tracks google analytics cookies as usual?

IC
Regular Contributor

Is it possible to do the reverse? IE, have google analytics look at the cookie opt-ins from hubspot, and if there is an opt-in, it tracks google analytics cookies as usual?

First, I do not think it is GDPR conform. Second, there are other tools than Google Analytics which should then according to this logic also adjust.

Johannes_LAC
Occasional Contributor

@IC: I see that you linked to you Data policy in the cookie notice. Two comments:

1. You still using wording, from the old data policy legislation, basically giving an accept button only. The very clean version would be to have a second button "decline", which opts out the user from all tracking and marketing cookies.

2. in you data policy, you do not offer the possibility at all, to optout from hubspot tracking. Right now you can only technically do so by including this button in the cookie notice (see my post).. 

I will try to tweak hubspot in the next 30 Minutes and let you know, if I find a solution..Best JF

Johannes_LAC
Occasional Contributor

@vbrech: Not sure how this helps; i looked at the API code. This just lets the cookie notice disappear. Maybe you can explain?

I want a cookie notice with two buttons "Accept"  and "Decline in Data Protection Policy". the later leading to the Dataprotection policy. Here I want to have optout link to GTAG (Which I have) and second Link to set the optout cookie for hubspot... 

Johannes_LAC
Occasional Contributor

@vbrech: Ok. reread the entire section in API documention. You were on the right track... I would do this https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/tracking_code_api/place_do_not_track_cookie 

Is there any guide gow to call this function from a URL link in the data policy? I have not worked with API...

IC
Regular Contributor

@Johannes_LAC thank you for reaching out.

1. The problem is as I explained above that we use not only Hubspot Cookies and the Cookie Banner accept or decline referrs only to Hubspot cookies. So the 3d party cookies like Google Analytics will be not turned off if the user clicks on decline. That is why we cannot use this solution.

2. Good point. How do we include this button in the cookie notice? you mean an opt-out link or button in the Data Policy section?

Johannes_LAC
Occasional Contributor

@IC

1. for exactly this reason I have asked Hubspot to include rather than an decline button: a) a generic configurable Button b) an easy way to add the link to optout  link for hubspot (this seems to be possible via API as described by @vbrech (Still how would you do it.

2. Our workaround is a) have a long cookie notice, which desribed that you need to optout in two places: 1. via decline button to hubspot, 2. via optout link in data policy.

3. We are using the Hubspot COS, where tracking code of hubspot is integrated, therefore we have to do this way.

4. on my own Wordpress site (I am a consultant), I have installed the hubspot tracking as Tag in Google Tag Manager, as well as other tags such as GA, Facebook. I then add to all these Tag a trigger exception if the opout cookie is set. you can check it out here htttps://www. predict42.com and here for instructions https://converlytics.com/2015/07/einrichtung-eines-erweiterten-optout-ueber-den-google-tag-manager/  . If you are using GA you could use this solution. Precondition is to use Google Tag manager..