HubSpot Ideas

Mazze

Convert Filtered Contact Views into Lists

After working on a rather complex set of contact filters, we thought there would be an ability to convert this saved filtered view into a Contact List. So, if you have a database of 15,000 contacts and filter this down to 1,500 people, you can quickly save this filter as a List to be used in Workflows, Emails, etc.

The current functionality lets you send a maximum of 100 contacts to a static List - which doesn't seem useful in any way. We would like to select ALL contacts in the filtered view and save them to an Active List.

10 Replies
emilybrogan

Hi Mazze, I found your question hunting for the same answer. I actually figured it out though and wanted to pass along:

- Create new static list with no filters and name/save it.

- Go to your view and select all of your contacts (you'll have to do 100 at a time unless someone knows how to do that better)

- Click "more" just above your selected contacts and select "add to static list" and then search and select the list you want to add them to. 

Hope this helps!

GrantAtGrowth

Yes.

We need this now that there are more filters and views on more objects.

We need to be able to build a list from a view. 

Build view>>Action>>Create Active/Static list

Katrina_Growth
Participant | Diamond Partner

Agreed! 

We should be able to convert the criteria used on a filtered record view into Active/Static List criteria. 

MStach
Contributor

Similarly, I would like to convert a list to a view. For example, I have 20 random contacts I always want in a view vs. a list. I'd like to build a static list and convert to the view. Either that or just build the view using the select checkboxes.

thatcorcoran

Is this really not possible now? Any update from Hubspot? I just spent 10 minutes filtering a view, then went to save it as a list and....nothing? 

Mazze
Participant | Platinum Partner

At this year's Inbound Conference, I had the opportunity to meet with a few HubSpot product managers. I brought up this idea again — explaining how useful it would be to be able to use the Contact / Contact Advanced Filter as a List Builder. I also commented on how responsive the Contact / Contact page seemed to be versus how long it takes for a List to build. HubSpot seemed to be aware of the performance issue — and they recognized the value of this feature idea. I'm hopeful there will be some movement on this soon... That said, it's been 3 years since I first wrote up this concept. Fingers crossed they'll escalate the concept. 

thatcorcoran

Thanks @Mazze. For your persistence, patience and quick reply. It's been a while since I did any coding or database work, but from what I do recall, this should be a 2-minute fix. At least saving a view as a list. The performance bug I'm not sure, but you raise a great point. You'd think they'd be querying the same tables?

In any case, I'm obviously just ranting now in the hopes someone from HS will see and take care of the "save view as list" bug before lunch:)

Thanks again, mike 

SMeyer0
Contributor

Almost all of my lists are over 100 Contacts long.  This would be immensely helpful!

LouPardi

Found this idea trying to find a way to save a filtered view to a list. Really should be easy.

Mazze
Participant | Platinum Partner

Thank you to everyone who has upvoted and commented on this idea! After 3 1/2 years... the concept of using Contacts > Contacts to create an Active list through filtered views is still releavant and badly needed. A lot of us live in this view. This feels like it has the makings of a natural "killer feature". 😎

@jmclaren Could you review?