HubSpot Ideas

ccds11

Contact or Company Tags?

Is there a process for associating tags to contacts or companies? If not, is there another way in which to associate certain qualities to contacts and/or companies that are not already listed?

HubSpot Updates
May 21, 2020 02:21 PM

@lizzie_p  @dtwuensch  Thank you for the quick replies here. We do think that, at this stage, "multiple checkbox" custom properties provide much of the same value. Certainly, there are places where they don't entirely fit the bill. And, it's not totally out of the question that we build tags some day. However, as of now, there are more pressing customer issues that our team needs to focus on to deliver the highest quality overall product. 

Not Currently Planned
May 21, 2020 11:41 AM

Idea Submitted
May 21, 2020 11:40 AM

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. At this time, adding tags is not something our team is currently planning to build natively into HubSpot. This is certainly subject to change in the future and we will update this idea if that becomes the case.

242 Replies
nicolebrenner
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Bonnie, thanks so much for all of the detail here. This really helps provide some great context. I'm going to reach out to a few of my colleagues here, and depending on the feedback I get I think this would be a great contribution to our Ideas Forum. I'll give you an update when I have some more information to share with you all. 

monicaway
Contributor

Thanks @nicolebrenner! I think all the folks on this thread will be so happy to hear back from Hubspot about this! Thank you for considering our requests and ideas! 

Hales

Hubspot needs this badly. Even when I have set up custom fields and added tags to them they don't seem to be read when doing a contact search.

johnb1

Hubspot team, I am really interested in this as well and would love an update if you had one! Thanks!

LanceHaverkamp

In non-profit land, a contact may be a #Donor, #Volunteer, #Sponsor, #CommitteeMember #Director, etc.
They may be any number of these simultaneously, we need to be ablt to mark,or tag, each contact as possibly more that one thing.  I may need to contact all the volunteers about an upcoming project, or all the committee members about training.   Is there any other method that #tags to see only specific contacts?

Viktor

Yeah, Tags work great, for example, in AgileCRM. Adding tags and rules of tags help, for example, automatically move contacts on pipeline or automate email sendings. For example, if i add tag "Coupon" to Contact, CRM sends Email with coupon to a client. Also it helps salespeople to easy understand "How is a client" (tags "Newsletter", "2nd Purchase"...). I really hope that Hubspot will add tags!

Shannon1

Hi Nicole

We currently use Insightly and are putting our ducks in a row to transfer to Hubspot. As much as I personally dislike tags (it's easy to accidently delete), our CRM usage depends on the their quick and dirty ability to mark 'birds of a feather'. 

We employ about 100 different tags, for both long term and short term solutions. Also, each Contact could conceivably have up to 5 diffferent tags, which makes radio buttons or dropsdown exhaustive to create and manage. Examples below of how we implement tags for our business-to-business services company:

1. Each year we send a holiday card/gift to clients chosen by their Account Managers. So, each AM marks 25 of their best Contacts with a HolidayCard_2017 tag. When it's time to send out the holiday card, it's a simple matter for our card fulfilment team to click the tag and the whole list is right there—and they can simply exports only those records with that tag for the mailing list. At the end of the campaign, we remove the tag. Making a custom field for this would make the records excessively bloated.

2. When new AMs come on board they can be overwhelmed with the type of complex CRM we are putting in place. Tags are an easy training aid for newbies to click to see sample records that we create with dummy Contact and Companies and to refer back to, to check their work. The benefit from this type of use, is that as we create new fields or protocols, we update the dummy records, rather than updating PDF tutorial sheets.

We also 'tag' the new hire's clients, with the their name or initial, AM_David. That way they can always click that tag to take them where they need to go.

Tagging is really a simplified filtering, and we can bulk edit tags—maybe we want to send cards to all Acme folks, well we'd filter by Acme and then use a bulk edit to add the holiday tag, and you're done.

Insightly handles tags really well. There's a Tag side bar on the right in that are specific to each type of record: Contacts, Companies, Leads, Opportunities, etc. Anyone can create a tag, and anyone can use that tag. Tags add an on-the-fly filtering granularity that is valuable.

The key feature for us is the fact anyone can create a tag. You don't have to be at the CRM admin level. This is super important. I tell my AMs that they own tags—they can create/use them as they see fit, and over time if we feel creating a custom field is warrented, we can easily do that. As the CRM administrator, I want my team to feel like it's their CRM. If they're working at 2:00 am on a Sunday morning and need filtering that's beyond what the CRM offers, then they can create those tags and let me sleep.

ThinkingTree

Yes, this is needed. Please add. 

virtualorbis

I would like to use tags for adding information to prospects like source (e.g. facebook) and products they may be interested.
So I was wondering how can I do this with Hubspot CRM.
Can you help me?

Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Hi @virtualorbis

You can absolutly do this, by creating whichever custom properties you need. Here's a how to guide: How can I create a custom property in HubSpot?

Hope this helps.

Edit: If custom properties don't work for you and you want real tagging, please vote on this idea: Contact or Company Tags?

MartinG

Hi folks & @nicolebrenner

Any news on this? It seemed there was some enthusiasm and traction, with the suggestion that the Hubspot team might work on introducing the Tagging facility.

I'm guiding my colleague who is getting on board and importing a lot of contacts and we've been discussing how we will be using the Contacts CRM, and the topic of tags has come up a few times. I had set up a custom property named 'tags' to preserve historical data imported from other CRMs eg Insightly, but introducing a proper Tags feature to quickly add an open, 'on the fly' self-organising function would help.

Many thanks!

kat_xsm

I am also thinking of transferring from Nimble, and lack of tags is most likely a deal breaker. It may be something that might make us go with Zoho. Before any decisions are made, could you let us know if there is any progress on this and if this feature is going to be implemented?

Aquashii-Beatz
Hi, I was just wondering if a tagging ability will be implemented in the future. I think its a really important feature.

Thanks

Tony
cpsucsa

Disappointing to see that more than 6 months after the Community Manager's acknowledged the widespread request for this feature which comes standard with almost all other CRMs, still there is no progress. We were considering moving from our current CRM to HubSpot and adding the bells and whistle of HubSpot Marketing and HubSpot Sales but without tagging it would be impossible - it would set our workflow and targeting back 10 years.

DavidY
Participant

I'm pretty surprised they haven't implemented tags either.  I guess you can create custom properties each and every time, but it would be nice to have a built-in solution for this. 

StephenDB
Participant

Yes, this would be a really useful feature to have...

JimmyHayes

*We really need this feature too ! ! 

jch

It's a bit remarkable that the Hubspot team has so little understanding of the value of tags. That is why they are integral to pretty much every CRM system. We typically use tags to keep track of things like how we connected with the contact. If they came through an event, if they are based in a region rather than isolating to a specific city (especially in places like Los Angeles, where there are dozens of cities in a greater metropolitan area), the vertical specificity not just the industry they sit in, etc. Things that are easier to lump into tags rather than creating 50+ custom fields.

Considering the CRM has been around for about 4 years and hasn't implimented tags is surprising. 

BrianR
Participant

I agree 100%.  One of the key things I would like is a way to identify the principal contact at a company. Prospects get moved around and since there are multiple contacts tied to a single company, having a way to identify the main players/decision maker quickly would save time in trying to reconnect when someone new takes over.

Richie_Palma

I am new to SalesForce and HubSpot and am already seeing shortcomings in the platform from a record segmentation standpoint.  I have used other small business CRM's that utilize Tagging almost like a #Hashtag is used on social channels.  The idea is to give users the freedom to mark leads and contacts in a way that allows for quick targeting and segmented list builds.  This would be a powerful tool that doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement.