Contact or Company Tags?

Is there a process for associating tags to contacts or companies? If not, is there another way in which to associate certain qualities to contacts and/or companies that are not already listed?

HubSpot updates
May 21, 2020

@lizzie_p  @dtwuensch  Thank you for the quick replies here. We do think that, at this stage, "multiple checkbox" custom properties provide much of the same value. Certainly, there are places where they don't entirely fit the bill. And, it's not totally out of the question that we build tags some day. However, as of now, there are more pressing customer issues that our team needs to focus on to deliver the highest quality overall product. 

changed to: Not Currently Planned
May 21, 2020

changed to: Idea Submitted
May 21, 2020

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. At this time, adding tags is not something our team is currently planning to build natively into HubSpot. This is certainly subject to change in the future and we will update this idea if that becomes the case.

160 Replies
Regular Contributor

Before I jump in with a reply here, I just want to mention that I do see the value in the tags in general and I also understand that this is an ideas forum, rather than a support one. Nevertheless, given that this particular ticket has been open for a number of years, it seems that HubSpot feel that the properties functionality is sufficient for users to achieve the same goal; or simply that it's similar enough that it doesn't justify the development priorities. With this in mind, I'm just bouncing ideas around about how the same goals could be met with the current functionalities so you can carry on using HubSpot without waiting for something which doesn't seem to be coming any time soon... I also don't know which HS features you're paying for, so I can only base this on my own account.

Based on your comments, I would suggest using a combination of lists (create a static list based on your property 'tags') and workflows.

You can create an active list (i.e. it will constantly update based on the set criteria) if you want to use this for mail-outs, or you could do the same with a company/contact filter. In each of these views, you can add multiple AND/OR searches such as:

Contact "Job Title" contains "Director" or "CEO"

AND

Company "City" is "New York" or "Chicago"

AND

Campaign "Name" contains "{Date}

AND

Campaign "Name" does not contain "{Date}"

You can create a custom property at  the contact, company or campaign level with a date picker, which would also then allow you to add a date range. You can then use this value in the above filter(s) to refine it further. The date could be a "last contact date", "deal created date", or any other properties - pre-existing or customised.

You can also setup a workflow to update/create the property values based on other processes. Let's say you send {Email X} to clients A, B &C, you can update one of the above properties (such as your campaign name) based on if they received/opened/replied to it, or you can simply create a task for you to update it manually if needed.

Regarding the auto-fill for previously used tags, if you've got a long list of drop-down values (e.g. predetermined Tags), you can type in the top of the dropdown list and HubSpot will filter the list based on the values. So yes, you'd have to setup the tag values in advance, but you can then access these whenever you need to.

Worth mentioning as well is that you don't have to use exact values in the search filters; you can use "contains any of" or "is exactly", just as you can use "doesn't contain any of" and "is not equal to any of".

New Contributor

Please implement Tagging capability! This is such a popular, because it is effective, means of organizing people and companies... for marketing, for call lists, for financial analysis, etc. 

updated to: Idea Submitted
HubSpot Moderator

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. At this time, adding tags is not something our team is currently planning to build natively into HubSpot. This is certainly subject to change in the future and we will update this idea if that becomes the case.

updated to: Not Currently Planned
HubSpot Moderator

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the update Dylan. Gotta say, for a company that talks a lot about customer service, and is usually pretty good at it, this is not a good answer. 

Not because you say it won't be done but because you don't provide a way to achieve the same outcome with the functions you provide.

Clearly, HS feels that we can already effectively categorise contacts. Having had lengthy discussions and read the thread here, I can't see how I can apply multiple categories and it seems others can't either. 

So if you're going to shut this request down, you also need to say one of two things: 1. We don't think this need is important; or 2. Here's a link to instructions where you can achieve the same result. (Currently, there is no link so I guess it's option 1 - no need to tell you what a bad option that is). 

Occasional Contributor

Lizzie,

Here is my work around:

1. Create a property called TAG and add as many labels as I want

2. When certain label or labels get used enough, I create a new property to cover that.  Then I build a list of people on the specific label under Property TAG and edit them to add the new property as a bulk add

3. I then delete the label under TAG. Contacts will then show that label in red. I delete the labels as I see them to clean up the contact, but see no need to cleant them all up.

I have been using this process for a couple of years.  It has served as an okay work around.

David

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the post @jessewragg. Your info doesn't quite cover the idea behind tagging. I already know how to do all that you've suggested but it won't allow me to achieve what I need. The function needed (and which might be achieve with something like a tag) is being able to assign multiple categories to a contact.

For example, I have a consultancy and a music management business. In my music business, here are a few scenarios for which I need to assign multiple categories:

1. Musicians who I represent for licensing.
  2. Musicians I represent for composing.
  3. Musicians I represent for both licensing and composing.
  4. Producers who work in film production.
  5. Producers who work in tv production.
  6. Producers who work in both.
  7. Producers who work in advertising and film but not TV.
  8. Music supervisors who work in film production.
  9. Everyone associated with licensing – musicians, music supervisors, music industry contacts, music sync companies, advertising agencies, etc.

Currently, I can't see an easy way to apply this type of categorisation across all my contacts. So something like a tag would work, where I could select the relevant categories, even when there are multiple.

If anyone can explain an effective way to do that, then you're right @Dylan we don't need tags.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks @dtwuensch - it seems we were writing a reply at the same time. I'll have a look at your method but not sure I will still achieve the outcome of having multiple categories assigned. Can you look at my second reply and let me know if you think your method would achieve what I need? 

Occasional Contributor

Lizzie,

You can create as many different contact properties as you want. Does that not do what you are looking for?

David Wuensch

HubSpot Moderator

@lizzie_p  @dtwuensch  Thank you for the quick replies here. We do think that, at this stage, "multiple checkbox" custom properties provide much of the same value. Certainly, there are places where they don't entirely fit the bill. And, it's not totally out of the question that we build tags some day. However, as of now, there are more pressing customer issues that our team needs to focus on to deliver the highest quality overall product. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks @Dylan and @dtwuensch multiple chexkboxes might work, last I looked there was some limitation but that was a while ago. Creating additional contact fields doesn't work as I need a lot of categories, the list above is just a sample. I'll go look up the check boxes. But Dylan, if that works, then that should be your response here - if you can let everyone know they can achieve the same outcome and they're just using different terminology, you could actually tick this as done. 

New Contributor

Dylan, multiple checkboxes absolutely 100% DO NOT work like tags. The reasons are numerous but it is easy to try it yourself to figure it out. I'm a db guy with decades of experience and took the time to try it out over a couple weeks and sure enough they do not accomplish what is needed.

I did the testing months ago and can't remember every limitations but one was that checkboxes get blown out with an import. That is unacceptable and not at all the behavior you'd expect with tags.

Occasional Contributor

Grooooan, thanks for saving me time @mayall ... It may still work for me but it sounds like not.  And more importantly - why am I having to invent the answer for someone else's product?! 

New Contributor

Nothing works like tags. Period.

I've built databases. I've built CRMs. But more importantly, I've used many databases and many CRMs (along with lots of contact managers). I've intimately managed systems with thousands of records and hundreds of thousands of records.

I'm guessing that those doing the design at Hubspot view Tags as impure. Tags don't fit into the tradtional db mindset. They are too free and unstructured. But therein lies their power.

A real world example is my recent experience with Highrise and Hubspot. Someone recommended Highrise to me because I was looking for a simple CRM that would need relatively little management. At first, I was actually put off by Highrise's reliance on tags as a primary way to categorize and track contacts. But I grew to love it.

Tags allowed me stop having to add a new field/column/property every time someone wanted to track something new. They just used a new tag. But it also turns out to be incredibly liberating when doing queries. Having to create new properties tends to have you predicting both the future of what you should store and also how you will use it. Tags are much more flexible.

Hubspot is a beautifully designed and implemented CRM (and more). It does things that Highrise would never do. But the reality is that the day-to-day use of Hubspot and Highrise were, for our needs, essentially the same. But the Hubspot CRM probably has twice the properties/fields as the Highrise CRM to accomplish the same goals. Many of the Hubspot properties end up not being used because they get lost in the pile. When you have tags, you see them all.

I can't say it strongly enough: Hubspot is making a big mistake by not implementing tags.

Will Mayall

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Will - exactly and well-said! HubSpot properties do get lost in the pile, you need to be an expert user to design and build it all in a half-decent way and then it just gets too hard. One of my clients uses NationBuilder (yikes!) which uses tags but as long as we have some protocols, they don't get too messy and without tags, my client won't be moving from NB to HS as I'd like as there is no way too apply the categorisation needed in a simple way. Thanks again Will - hopefully HS crew read your post. 

@mayall @Dylan 

Visitor

it's so uncomfortable without tags 😞

I can't just select what I need and apply the tag, I have to edit some properties and don't want to edit, and I don't see a way to do it that my colleges would get it. 

And I just spent like 30 minutes trying to organize the companies, it would be much quicker in Excel 😞

New Contributor

Yes please add tags!

New Contributor

Not having tags available is a real issue, this should be added. I regret that this feature is not available.  I will have to proceed to create 30 custom fields in the db, with 1s or 0s. This will for sure impact HS performance.

Regular Visitor

This makes customized sorting impossible. I want to sort contacts by product interest or which boards they serve one...simple tag search allows for this IF YOU ACTUALLY ADDED THAT! Why not an advanced search the lets us click search by TAGS?

New Contributor

Not having this feature, it very limiting to our organization. At the same time, it's a strange that it's not implemented given how straightforward and common this feature is for CRMs in general. Hubspot lacking this feature despite being requested by users for years definitely gives SalesForce's CRM platform an edge.