HubSpot Ideas

ccds11

Contact or Company Tags?

Is there a process for associating tags to contacts or companies? If not, is there another way in which to associate certain qualities to contacts and/or companies that are not already listed?

242 Comentarios
Larscrama2
Miembro

We tried the workaround with multiselect custom property, but it just doesn't work, because then you cannot add a property to a bulk group - it will delete all earlier "tags".

Now we are adding a seperate property field for EACH TAG and then let people mark it "Y" or "N".... that defeats the purpose - doesn't make sense at all.

We still need this. But the thread has been going on for almost three years now.

lizzie_p
Miembro

Wow, three years after the first post on this topic and still nothing. As EpicRob says "Standard in almost every other CRM for a reason. Used widely by just about everyone."

I'm going to try to use lists and see if that works for me - otherwise, how do we group our contacts?  

kkoym
Participante

Is hubspot considering adding real tags? It looks like this question is a couple of years old, but not any real answer on true "tags" like in other CRM.  I really miss the flexibility of tags in Capsule CRM.

Peter_NZ
Participante

Hi - there does not seem to have been any response from Hubspot on all these requests in quite some time - is it possible to get an update from them as to whether this has gone anywhere within the development schedule or is just not going to happen?

davidp808
Miembro

I looking at Hubspot to replace my legacy CRM, where we used tags to segment our contacts and companies.  Does anyone know when or if Hubspot even has a tag feature in their future development plans?

jessewragg
Miembro

@davidp808 you can do this with custom properties.

I think the reason that this ticket has gone on so long is that people aren't using properties properly. You can create properties at Company, Contact, Deal, Products or Ticket level and use these values for filters, just as you would with "tags"; they're just completely customisable...

Jesse

TrevorSqE
Participante

@jessewragg I think a lot of us are looking for the ability to create tags on the fly, without having to set them up as pre-determined options first as you suggest above.  It's a hassle to set up the property options first if you're regularly adding brand new tags, that may occur to you as you're halfway through updating a list.

jessewragg
Miembro

@TrevorSqE in this case, what about creating a property called "Tag" once at each of the relevant levels (contact, company, deal, ticket, product)? Give this property a free-text value and simply add them as you go. You could have multiple "Tag" properties, or you could go through and set a range of pre-determined values as a drop-down which are most commonly used.

rg1
Miembro

Hi all, thank you for your ideas! Adding tags as a free text property won't give you the possibility to click on a single tag and get all contacts with this tag. For this you would have to perform a search. That would be ok with one tag, but not with two and more - like: 'publishers' AND 'Munich' (all publishing companies in Munich) or 'publishers' OR 'agencies' (both publishers and agencies).

jessewragg
Miembro

@rg1 you're right about this, but you could create "publishers", "agencies" and other common values as dropdowns, then save a contact/company filter for these.

TrevorSqE
Participante

Hmmm so what I'd like to be able to do - and can do using other tools - is something like this:

* Tag / categories contacts with regularly used labels e.g. client, decision-maker, their industry, role, whatever - can use properties, no problem - although a pain if I want to add a new option on the fly, e.g. an industry we haven't used before

* Tag clients manually if I want them to get a certain campaign - so let's say 2020-05-13-offer - can use free text field for these

* Create a segment based on advanced logic e.g. "find all client decision-makers in medical industry in New York who are tagged 2020-05-13 but were NOT tagged 2020-05-04"

The text field approach works for some of this but:

* No auto-suggest of previously used tags - e.g. if I start typing 2020 it won't remind me what the rest of the tag was, which is handy

* I can't run a filter on "text field contains X but NOT contains Y", I don't believe

jessewragg
Miembro

Before I jump in with a reply here, I just want to mention that I do see the value in the tags in general and I also understand that this is an ideas forum, rather than a support one. Nevertheless, given that this particular ticket has been open for a number of years, it seems that HubSpot feel that the properties functionality is sufficient for users to achieve the same goal; or simply that it's similar enough that it doesn't justify the development priorities. With this in mind, I'm just bouncing ideas around about how the same goals could be met with the current functionalities so you can carry on using HubSpot without waiting for something which doesn't seem to be coming any time soon... I also don't know which HS features you're paying for, so I can only base this on my own account.

Based on your comments, I would suggest using a combination of lists (create a static list based on your property 'tags') and workflows.

You can create an active list (i.e. it will constantly update based on the set criteria) if you want to use this for mail-outs, or you could do the same with a company/contact filter. In each of these views, you can add multiple AND/OR searches such as:

Contact "Job Title" contains "Director" or "CEO"

AND

Company "City" is "New York" or "Chicago"

AND

Campaign "Name" contains "{Date}

AND

Campaign "Name" does not contain "{Date}"

You can create a custom property at  the contact, company or campaign level with a date picker, which would also then allow you to add a date range. You can then use this value in the above filter(s) to refine it further. The date could be a "last contact date", "deal created date", or any other properties - pre-existing or customised.

You can also setup a workflow to update/create the property values based on other processes. Let's say you send {Email X} to clients A, B &C, you can update one of the above properties (such as your campaign name) based on if they received/opened/replied to it, or you can simply create a task for you to update it manually if needed.

Regarding the auto-fill for previously used tags, if you've got a long list of drop-down values (e.g. predetermined Tags), you can type in the top of the dropdown list and HubSpot will filter the list based on the values. So yes, you'd have to setup the tag values in advance, but you can then access these whenever you need to.

Worth mentioning as well is that you don't have to use exact values in the search filters; you can use "contains any of" or "is exactly", just as you can use "doesn't contain any of" and "is not equal to any of".

Steri-Q
Miembro

Please implement Tagging capability! This is such a popular, because it is effective, means of organizing people and companies... for marketing, for call lists, for financial analysis, etc. 

valerian253
Miembro

Not sure what the confusion is here. I am a new user. Here's what I did:

1. Create a custom property called "Tag" (single line text)
  2. Add the property to my view
  3. Insert tags for Contact separated by commas
  4. In my Contacts list, choose "More Filters" and type "Tag"

5. Type in your tag name

Voila!

Estado actualizado a: Idea Submitted
Dylan
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. At this time, adding tags is not something our team is currently planning to build natively into HubSpot. This is certainly subject to change in the future and we will update this idea if that becomes the case.

Estado actualizado a: Not Currently Planned
Dylan
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

lizzie_p
Miembro

Thanks for the update Dylan. Gotta say, for a company that talks a lot about customer service, and is usually pretty good at it, this is not a good answer. 

Not because you say it won't be done but because you don't provide a way to achieve the same outcome with the functions you provide.

Clearly, HS feels that we can already effectively categorise contacts. Having had lengthy discussions and read the thread here, I can't see how I can apply multiple categories and it seems others can't either. 

So if you're going to shut this request down, you also need to say one of two things: 1. We don't think this need is important; or 2. Here's a link to instructions where you can achieve the same result. (Currently, there is no link so I guess it's option 1 - no need to tell you what a bad option that is). 

dtwuensch
Miembro

Lizzie,

Here is my work around:

1. Create a property called TAG and add as many labels as I want

2. When certain label or labels get used enough, I create a new property to cover that.  Then I build a list of people on the specific label under Property TAG and edit them to add the new property as a bulk add

3. I then delete the label under TAG. Contacts will then show that label in red. I delete the labels as I see them to clean up the contact, but see no need to cleant them all up.

I have been using this process for a couple of years.  It has served as an okay work around.

David

lizzie_p
Miembro

Thanks for the post @jessewragg. Your info doesn't quite cover the idea behind tagging. I already know how to do all that you've suggested but it won't allow me to achieve what I need. The function needed (and which might be achieve with something like a tag) is being able to assign multiple categories to a contact.

For example, I have a consultancy and a music management business. In my music business, here are a few scenarios for which I need to assign multiple categories:

1. Musicians who I represent for licensing.
  2. Musicians I represent for composing.
  3. Musicians I represent for both licensing and composing.
  4. Producers who work in film production.
  5. Producers who work in tv production.
  6. Producers who work in both.
  7. Producers who work in advertising and film but not TV.
  8. Music supervisors who work in film production.
  9. Everyone associated with licensing – musicians, music supervisors, music industry contacts, music sync companies, advertising agencies, etc.

Currently, I can't see an easy way to apply this type of categorisation across all my contacts. So something like a tag would work, where I could select the relevant categories, even when there are multiple.

If anyone can explain an effective way to do that, then you're right @Dylan we don't need tags.

lizzie_p
Miembro

Thanks @dtwuensch - it seems we were writing a reply at the same time. I'll have a look at your method but not sure I will still achieve the outcome of having multiple categories assigned. Can you look at my second reply and let me know if you think your method would achieve what I need?