Contact or Company Tags?

ccds11

Is there a process for associating tags to contacts or companies? If not, is there another way in which to associate certain qualities to contacts and/or companies that are not already listed?

165 Replies
AIGuy

I agree. Take a look at the tag feature in AgileCRM. It is very useful to create your own tags that can group multiple contacts and can identify groups within groups. e.g. Source, campaign, use case, etc.

Scarlettjazz

NEED THIS!

kkoym
Participant

Wow.  Tagging is not implemented, and it looks based on previous posts that hubspot doesn't understand how important and flexible this feature makes a CRM?  This is a problem.  This could be very well what has me move back to our previous CRM... we hadn't moved over all the data yet, as our team in marketing is really pushing for hubspot... but to not be able to have a tag cloud (in our case to be able to use for locations around the world) is a problem... 

nikita93
Participant

Please consider adding this.

vcaldwe

It's really disheartening that this basic feature is still an issue.  I don't know any CRM that doesn't have this.  To say this has been requested for years is daunting.

EPiCRob
Participant

Needed. Standard in almost every other CRM for a reason. Used widely by just about everyone. 
I use custom fields where I know a value or want absolute interogation of the data. However, there is simply no alternative to tagging for quick, "anything" tagging that can be searched for later. 
Yes that means it may not be perfect, but then just be aware of that when searching. 

jmcnamara

We need this too. Shocked it doesn't exist. 

Let me point out that the idea page has tags...

Can this basic functionality please be applied to Deals (and contacts and companies while we're at it)

Zangerine

I agree that tags would be VERY helpful.

jessewragg

Why not just create a custom property called "Tags", then add a set of pre-determined values as accepted properties for this?

Depending on how many values are needed, you could allow a free-text field, but this runs the risks of typos or duplicate/similar entries.

I have done this, and it works much better than pre-determined tags. I also added a value "Other", which triggers a workflow for me to ask the colleague why they've assigned "Other" - i.e. is there a value missing, or do they need extra training?

You can then filter within the company/contact overview based on tag type.

rg1

not being able to tag our customers prevents us from using hubspot at all

ben_cherre

+1 to the idea of tagging

lizzie_p

Wow, three years after the first post on this topic and still nothing. As EpicRob says "Standard in almost every other CRM for a reason. Used widely by just about everyone."

I'm going to try to use lists and see if that works for me - otherwise, how do we group our contacts?  

Peter_NZ
Participant

Hi - there does not seem to have been any response from Hubspot on all these requests in quite some time - is it possible to get an update from them as to whether this has gone anywhere within the development schedule or is just not going to happen?

davidp808

I looking at Hubspot to replace my legacy CRM, where we used tags to segment our contacts and companies.  Does anyone know when or if Hubspot even has a tag feature in their future development plans?

jessewragg

@davidp808 you can do this with custom properties.

I think the reason that this ticket has gone on so long is that people aren't using properties properly. You can create properties at Company, Contact, Deal, Products or Ticket level and use these values for filters, just as you would with "tags"; they're just completely customisable...

Jesse

TrevorSqE
Participant

@jessewragg I think a lot of us are looking for the ability to create tags on the fly, without having to set them up as pre-determined options first as you suggest above.  It's a hassle to set up the property options first if you're regularly adding brand new tags, that may occur to you as you're halfway through updating a list.

jessewragg

@TrevorSqE in this case, what about creating a property called "Tag" once at each of the relevant levels (contact, company, deal, ticket, product)? Give this property a free-text value and simply add them as you go. You could have multiple "Tag" properties, or you could go through and set a range of pre-determined values as a drop-down which are most commonly used.

rg1

Hi all, thank you for your ideas! Adding tags as a free text property won't give you the possibility to click on a single tag and get all contacts with this tag. For this you would have to perform a search. That would be ok with one tag, but not with two and more - like: 'publishers' AND 'Munich' (all publishing companies in Munich) or 'publishers' OR 'agencies' (both publishers and agencies).

jessewragg

@rg1 you're right about this, but you could create "publishers", "agencies" and other common values as dropdowns, then save a contact/company filter for these.

TrevorSqE
Participant

Hmmm so what I'd like to be able to do - and can do using other tools - is something like this:

* Tag / categories contacts with regularly used labels e.g. client, decision-maker, their industry, role, whatever - can use properties, no problem - although a pain if I want to add a new option on the fly, e.g. an industry we haven't used before

* Tag clients manually if I want them to get a certain campaign - so let's say 2020-05-13-offer - can use free text field for these

* Create a segment based on advanced logic e.g. "find all client decision-makers in medical industry in New York who are tagged 2020-05-13 but were NOT tagged 2020-05-04"

The text field approach works for some of this but:

* No auto-suggest of previously used tags - e.g. if I start typing 2020 it won't remind me what the rest of the tag was, which is handy

* I can't run a filter on "text field contains X but NOT contains Y", I don't believe