HubSpot Ideas

SamuelBanks

Conditional Field Dropdown Values

Hey HubSpot, 

We love the use of conditional functionality now within the HubSpot CRM. However, we do struggle with it only being limited to show "If Field A's value is X, then show Field B" 

What we're looking to achieve is, "If Field A's Value is this, then show Field B with only options X, Y and Z". 

Essentially, we're finding it quite difficult for both reporting and data management purposes to create separate properties to consolidate certain values i.e. 

Example
If Location is "Newcastle" then show "Buildings" with only "Newcastle Building A" / "Newcastle Building B" as options despite hosting other locations in the same field as values. 

A lot of other systems support this so would love to see it implemented - this also applies to both CRM sidebars and forms

Thank you

Sam

30 Replies
DominiqueV
Participant | Platinum Partner

I've been asked many times for this by my HubSpot clients. For one client I setup 252 state dropdowns depending on the country property. That was a lot of work to bypass this missing feature. 

callie
Contributor

This realllly needs to be a part of the required pipeline properties. When we're collecting data/additional context on closed lost reasons, for example, things get quite muddy.

CDouglas4

I back required pipeline properties! ^

We have a range of products that need different properties. For example, one of our products needs 8 different billing properties filled in upon contract signing, while our other products don't  (don't ask, its a better solution than we've been working with). We do not have seperate product pipelines to reduce mental load on the sales team in managing their deals so what would be ideal would be conditional rules around this feature. 

If "Product" = "X", then 'these' properties display as required fields upon stage movement.

shajones
HubSpot Product Team

Hi folks,

I’m Shay Jones, the Product Manager on the CRM product team.

I'm happy to report that this Idea is now In Planning! Our team is actively researching and scoping out a solution for this feature.

The product development process is always filled with unexpected bumps and hurdles, so I can't give a timeline, but I am confident in saying we'll deliver this feature as soon as possible. If you are interested in giving feedback while we are in the research phase, please send me a message and we can set up some time to chat.

All updates will be relayed on this thread, so stay tuned!

Best,

Shay

Designer-Kyle
HubSpot Product Team

Update, 2/1: Due to an enthusiastic response, this research study is now fully booked. Thank you all for applying!

Previous message is below:

___

Hi everyone! My name is Kyle and I’m a Product Designer at HubSpot. Good to meet you!

Some good news: we’re aiming to add new functionality that will allow you to define conditional options for fields. With this, you'll be able to show options in one field based on a chosen option in another field. Based on what I’ve been reading here, I think this would solve many of your needs. But first, we have to test it to make sure it’s easy to use and understand. That’s where you come in.

Would any of you be interested in participating in a paid user research study, testing Conditional Property Options? In order to ensure that this feature is effective and easy-to-use, we need to test it with you, our users. That will help us understand how well it works and meets your expectations.

Session details:

- Participants will be paid upon completion of the session
- Session will require no more than 45 minutes of your time.
- Session will consist of a recorded Zoom call where you’ll complete tasks using a prototype of this new feature
- You’ll be asked to provide honest feedback as you go

Interested? Please sign up using this Google Form . If you qualify, we’ll reach out to set up a time to talk. Thank you, this study is now fully booked.

Once you’ve submitted the form:
If you qualify, you’ll receive an email within the next 48 hours with the subject, “Schedule a HubSpot UX Research Session”. Just pick a time and we'll do the rest. We’re looking forward to sharing this prototype with you and gathering your feedback.

DominiqueV

If this means I can move away from the 255 state dropdown properties that now are dependent fields and move to just one country and one state dropdown that automatically filters the states of the selected country, **bleep** yeah, sign me up! 

VCantu2

Hi, is there an ETA for this to release? Our business coukd benefit a lot from this function. 

CyrilHorbach

This is one of the greatest features me and my clients are anticipating too

DominiqueV

They are prototyping it now so I guess it will be implemented in the upcoming months. 

BennyP
Contributor

Hi @shajones , 

Thanks for the updated. As some already mentioned, this would be super super helpful. 

Was wondering if we had an ETA or if we could participate in any beta. 

JWilden

Any update on this feature? 

DominiqueV

Yes, I'm testing it at the moment. I'm in the private beta. 

JWilden

@DominiqueV Amazing! this will be a game changer for our company

rwebb1
HubSpot Product Team

👋Hi all! I’m Rachel from the HubSpot Product team. An update for you - we are in private beta for a feature called Conditional Property Options. This feature enables admins to specify which options are shown for a property depending on the value selected for another property. During the initial beta period, this feature will only be enforced in the ‘create record’ form : When a user creates a record, they will be prevented from saving the new record if an incorrect option is selected based on the admin’s configuration. During this beta, the feature will be expanded to ensure that users select the correct options when editing properties in the record page and index page.

This feature is available for all Hubs, Professional+ subscription. Your Customer Success Manager can request access to either beta on your behalf. Thank you all for your feedback!!

MNabi

Hi @rwebb1,

I am trying to access this but unable to locate it in the Beta Features list in my hubspot profile. Would it be possible to get a link for it?

BennyP
Contributor

@rwebb1 thank you very much for the update. We're already using this feature! 

Though we're also super interested in having conditional logic on other fields - do we know when this could be released in Beta? 

For example, we want to customise the company record left side bar for each country and have e.g. the field "competitors" pop up but show only values of German competitors when "country" is Germany. 
Is this something Hubspot will be working on? 

@MNabi I don't think I enrolled in any beta and I have access to it. Have you tried doing the following?: Settings > Objects > Deals > Set Up > Customise the "Create deal form" > Conditional Logic

MNabi

@BennyP 

Conditional logic was always there and was the workaround for getting conditional properties.

Unless I am misunderstanding this feature. I understood this being a new property type that takes conditonal inputs. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Update: I managed to get access after you opt into the beta. The screen should look like this and accessible in the properties.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 3.03.19 PM.png

BennyP
Contributor

Oh @MNabi, this is great - I hadn't realised the conditional property had extended to any property (and not just the create form)

But my understanding is that this idea is about achieving conditional field drop down values rather, as with the example mentioned by @SamuelBanks:
We love the use of conditional functionality now within the HubSpot CRM. However, we do struggle with it only being limited to show "If Field A's value is X, then show Field B" 
What we're looking to achieve is, "If Field A's Value is this, then show Field B with only options X, Y and Z". 

However, I'm quite sure this hasn't been released yet..

Designer-Kyle
HubSpot Product Team

Hello @MNabi and @BennyP ! I just wanted to clarify something because I think we're getting a couple of features mixed up, here. We currently have two different beta periods ongoing for two different conditional logic features, so I can understand why there might be some confusion!

• Conditional property logic is in a public beta and allows you to show and require additional properties based on a selection in a controlling property.
    • For example: When "Industry" equals "Restaurant" show and require the property "Restaurant type".
    • You can access this through Product Updates in your HubSpot account.
  • Conditional property options is in a private beta and allows you to control which options appear in a property based on a choice in a controlling property.
    • For example: When "Country" equals "Canada" only allow users to select "Quebec, Ontario, British Columbia (etc)" for "State/Province".
    • As this is in a private beta, you can contact your Customer Success Manager to request access. During this private beta, the feature will only work when creating records, and not when editing them.

I hope that helps clear things up!

BennyP
Contributor

Thank you very much @Designer-Kyle , makes much more sense now! 

Regarding the "Conditional property options", you mentioned it is currently in private beta and thus the feature will work only when creating records. Do we know when we can expect to be able to have this feature apply also when editing records? 

Thanks again!