HubSpot Ideas

cfleishman

Cloning a Deal

Need to be able to clone an individual deal. This is helpful for recurring revenue organizations and building MRR. Please! Smiley (fröhlich)

Update from @JoeMayallDue to a technical error on HubSpot’s end, this thread has an inflated upvote count. As of June 10th, 2020, we estimate this thread has around 500 upvotes. I'll continue to update this count as the thread receives upvotes."

557 Kommentare
Dylan
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hello HubSpot community, Smiley (fröhlich) 

Thank you all for your continued input on this idea. I'm a product manager on our CRM team and wanted to provide you all with a status update here as the status of this issue is a bit complicated.

For starters, @JoeMayall recently made an update to the core idea. There was a technical error on our end that increased the number of votes on this issue by about 300.

When it comes to cloning deals, we hear you! We've been steadily looking into all of the context provided here and its clear there is product pain in a few areas.

Recurring revenue - the ability for HubSpot to support a recurring revenue model can be painful due to the fact that deals need to be re-created month over month, or quarter over quarter.

Saving reps time - sometimes deals are created that are very similar to a previous deal and the rep creating the deal wants to use the same data. Re-typing this data is inefficient.

Regarding recurring revenue: We're currently working on several aspects of the product that will help recurring revenue models. This includes invoices, reports, and even forecasting.

Regarding saving reps time: Our entire product is shaped to help you grow better. When reps are doing duplicative tasks, this slows you down and hurts growth. However, different businesses have different needs around "cloning". Some want just the deal name, others want the same deal amount, others want to copy the entire contents of the deal (including activities and emails), some want the deal to be included in the same reports as other deals. Since there are such vast requirements amongst our user base - this would inherently create the need for "settings" to allow admins to choose exactly how a deal cloning would work.

Both of these things are goals that we have our eye on. The problems that are expressed here are likely to be solved in many ways. There is not a "clone deal" silver bullet. We plan on working continually towards solving all of this pain, every day. However, at this time we do not have immediate plans to build or launch a "clone deal" button and have our energy focused on solving other problems that help our customers grow better.

Status aktualisiert zu: Not Currently Planned
JoeMayall
HubSpot-Alumnus/Alumna

Hi HubSpot Community,

I'm updating the status of this thread to reflect Dylan's comment.

Best,

Joe

Ideas Forum Manager

sparent
Mitglied

Hello Dylan,

thank you for your detail response.  We all appreciate it.  I just want to point out that I understand that the Cloning feature include various options based on demand, however as a FIRST implementation the easiest and shortest option is listed in your reponse. Just the abilitity to clone the deal with the name is an ENOURMOUS time savings from having nothing at all.

thank you for this first iteration and consideration.

Suzanne

Regarding saving reps time: Our entire product is shaped to help you grow better. When reps are doing duplicative tasks, this slows you down and hurts growth. However, different businesses have different needs around "cloning". Some want just the deal name, others want the same deal amount, others want to copy the entire contents of the deal (including activities and emails), some want the deal to be included in the same reports as other deals. Since there are such vast requirements amongst our user base - this would inherently create the need for "settings" to allow admins to choose exactly how a deal cloning would work.

imorrell
Mitglied

Being able to clone a deal and then edit and small differences would be my biggest time saver period!!!!

Without it is so much repetitive work

mark_poyser
Teilnehmer/-in

@JoeMayall @Dylan if Hubspot are not working on this currently and have no immediate plans to add any functionality relating to cloning, then could you please share with this thread what the customer base is calling for and that you are actively working on currently. From what I can see this is a pretty major requirement for over 500 people. So what is it that trumps this?

I think when it comes to eventually providing this function in Hubspot, the point raised about what to clone should, i believe be given to the user to try and not the admins, as you may wish to clone certain items on one deal and other items for another deal. Therefore these options should form part of the cloning process with checkboxes to decide what you would like to clone at that point. Products MUST be included in this cloning process.

In addition, the workflow process MUST also include the ability to make these decisions in any automated processes.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Mark

robert1
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

@Dylan thanks for the update. It's exciting to hear you are working on recurring revenue and invoicing. Any information you can share on that? And, will these features be included in marketing pro or are they reserved for enterprise? For us, enterprise is way out of our price range, but we are in dire need of recurring revenue and invoicing features. It was a bitter surprise to learn that recurring revenue features were reserved for enterprise after we had signed up and I don't really understand the logic, as many of us in tech and tech startups have this kind of business model but are nowhere close to classifying as an enterprise, and probably never will.

aalthaus_revriv
Teilnehmer/-in | Elite Partner

It's encouraging to see some motion here from the HubSpot team!

Last year, my team developed a widget to solve this exact challenge for one of our clients. When we realized how many folks experience the same duplicative data-entry pains, we built it out further and launched to a good-sized group of beta testers. We've gotten great feedback and the usage data is encouraging! 

It's nothing fancy, but here is what it will do for you: 

- clone your Deal

- select the Deal Stage for the new deal (this helps avoid unnecessarily triggering any automation you may have set up)

- select whether or not you want to carry the Products over

- provide you with a click-through link to the new Deal

Maybe it could help you! Maybe not. Here's the link if you want to check it out. 

markahope
Mitglied | Partner

@Dylan Thanks for the note.

I think that your team may be overthinking this a bit.  The ability to clone a deal, as a standalone idea, should be simple.  There are many places in HubSpot where an element can be copied or cloned.  The ability to clone an Opportunity in Salesforce has been a basic feature for many years.  Our Salesforce customers use this feature constantly and we are able to write workflows using the feature to create very specific applications without a lot of custom code.

While there are probably recurring revenue or subscription features that are more complex, the ability to clone a deal should be a no-brainer.

Evans4316
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

@Dylan  Thank you for the update. However, I too think you guys are overthinking this.

I believe a majority of users are simply asking for a very simple 'clone' or 'duplicate' button or something and then let the user make the changes. Your explanation tells me that you have made it far too complicated.

In Gmail calendar, there is a duplicate option of an existing calendar item...take a look at it. It's very simple. It gives you a starting point...then change the fields you want. Bam. Save it and you are good to go.

Please re-evaluate your decision and how complex you guys have been looking at this.

Thanks, Karen 

imorrell
Mitglied

@Evans4316 EXACTLY!!!!

twinloger
Teilnehmer/-in

Hi, we need a simple cloning of the deal. This can suit all users. We will change the data we need to change manually.

tabb
Mitglied

Agree 100%.  Don't complicate things, let us deal with the changes ourselves.

Elsystems
Teilnehmer/-in

Three years of comments and requests and 800+ customers voicing (not to mention the many customers who wish for the feature but have not voiced their opinion) their plea for this feature that is common to many other programs.  What does it take to add basic features to Hubspot??  
The program is great in many ways but still has GIANT holes that need to be addressed.

I just realized that this request has twice the number of upvotes as compared to ANY idea that is on the Ideas Forum - how is this not completed or addressed?

SusanH
Mitglied

For all those that want to clone deals ... I've installed a widget that integrates with Hubspot.   You can clone in 2 seconds and just change the fields as appropriate.   Easy fix for something that Hubspot just can't seem to do! www.revenueriver./com/revlabs/duplicate-deal

Elsystems
Teilnehmer/-in

Looking at the widget that SusanH mentioned.  Thanks for sending this. Has anyone else used this yet? 
Any good or not-good experiences?
This seems to be the widget address
https://store.revenueriver.co/collections/deal-dupe-widget

mark_poyser
Teilnehmer/-in

I have seen some other widgets / add-ins like this previosuly. Can these type of things also be integrated or called up in the Hubspot workflow engine?

SusanH
Mitglied

If I recall, they had a free version (which is what I'm using) and I believe if you want it for more than one user there is a fee.   I have it installed for our sales ops admin... and it works perfectly as she's the one that normally clones the deals. 

This particular widget add-on integrates into Hubspot and shows on the deal page (on my screen it shows right above the 'help' button on bottom right. 

twinloger
Teilnehmer/-in

Cannot register in another country only in the USA !!!

JeremyPSE
Mitglied

@Dylan Thanks for the rundown of thoughts, but you don't really give a reason for why you wouldn't allow Cloning deals.

It would be such an easy feature to add that would really help for use cases like this.

Evans4316
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

@Dylan I agree with JeremyPSE.  I think the underlying problem is that your team has made this idea far too complicated when all that was asked for was something very simple. I think you guys need to revisit this and maybe look at it with a simplistic paradigm. I think what most of us are asking for:

In Contact:
1. Select an Existing Deal (can be open or closed deal)
2. Press [Duplicate Deal] button
3. Duplicate these fields into a new deal
  • Deal Name
  • Deal Description
  • Deal Stage
  • Amount (Deal Amount)
  • Deal Close Date
  • Deal Type
  • Deal Owner

4. User can then modify the new deal as they want to.

This is what I'm looking for... Something very basic.