HubSpot Ideas

btsp

Changing auto-association behavior which is hostile to B2B2B workflows

We are using HubSpot for B2B2B sales, insurance being sold via broker/agent partnerships. This means many Deals with one Deal Contact, where each deal has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with other deals and should be kept completely separated.

We are running into a problem caused by design issues with some of the automatic record association features which are described in https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/associate-activities-with-records .

This feature which force-auto-associates the last 5 Deals is very unhelpful for us, and user complaints from my team are stacking up, as our sales and usage volume continues increasing. I need a solution for this because it is causing us real operational problems tracking our activities and avoiding security issues caused by stream crossings between irrelevant transactions.

We run into this problem when, for example, we log a Meeting, where the Deal Contact is shared with another completely irrelevant unrelated Deal. Inaccurate associations we do not want, and cannot seem to disable, are being created, causing the meeting to appear on unrelated Deals, just because our B2B2B Contact for the Deals is the same, even though each Deal has nothing to do with the others.

5 Replies
Makinnatraylor
Participant

We are in B2B and have many deals with the same customers - we also try to tag our suppliers into the deal for tracking. - automatic meeting associations make for messy meeting records with irrelevant information on deals.

FernandoVW

Upvote!

Definitely when dealing with large amounts of deals with a single customer, this brings confusion in the contact, company and deal activity!

AdreannaWeems

Also using for B2B and this is a reoccurring issue. It can make logging communication very messy and it is time consuming to remove associations that are not applicable to the deal. 

AdreannaWeems

Circling back to add that this is now even more time-consuming, especially with the "associations" listed that the bottom of each email thread, each thread now has to be expanded in order to remove unrelated object associations. 

btsp
Contributor

In working with my account team at HubSpot recently, I found that some progress has been made on this, though I wouldn't say it's fully solved yet. There is a way to disable it email plugin by email plugin but no way to disable it company-wide or for big groups of users, to prevent configuration errors. It's called the "Default Associations" setting in the HubSpot email plugin.

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 3.01.43 PM.png