HubSpot Ideas

Namola

Changing a contact owner when a team user engages with them in a specific way

Can we change a contact owner based off a trigger activity (i.e. the sending of an email (so sender becomes contact owner)) in a workflow.

This will be useful for team members where there are multiple actions taken with users and the contact ownership does not matter too much - more that it lays with the appropriate staff member at the time. This will allow them to take full ownership of that contact (incl. workflow outputs - tasks etc.) whilst they are assisting the user.

Why?

We have a very large database of contacts - many of whom are basic users of our service, so are not necessarily leads etc. and they will only really ever deal with our support team. We keep them on HubSpot for trackability of past comms. So the owner of those contacts is not as NB as the owner of contacts who might be classified as leads. So the owner is often best suited to the support staff member dealing with the contact at the time... i.e. Employee A is helping the contact with a battery issue in June 2019, then Employee C helps them with a connection query in Feb 2020 etc.

Is there a way to assign the contact owner to the support staff member based on an action taken (i.e. if the contact is sent an email with a specific subject, assign the sender of that email to be the contact owner) and to include this in a workflow? i.e. can we assign a contact owner based off a trigger activity.