HubSpot Ideas

mrizzo

Change Influenced Revenue in Campaign Analytics

According to the support team, the Influenced Revenue in Campaign Analtyics is "an imperfect metric at the moment because we include all deals associated with these contacts."

This means that "any deal that is associated with any influenced contact is brought into [the] influenced revenue figure, regardless of when the deal was closed."

We need the ability to have influenced revenue look at deals that were Created and Closed AFTER the campaign was created and Created BEFORE the campaign was created but Closed AFTER the campaign was created.

An added layer of complexity is the report date range filters. I think we need to have the report dates impact how the revenue looks. For example, if I filter to see contacts influenced by a campain within the last 90 days, we shouldn't see deals that closed in a windo prior to that 90 days.

Here's the best way I can illustrate this:

Campaign Influence Report to view "Contacts influenced for the past 90 days"

Inbound 18 Campaign, Created 1/1/18

Inbound 17 Camapaign, Created 1/1/17

Today's date: 8/08/18

Look back range: 8/06/18 to 5/08/18

Let's say there are two deals associated to one contact:

Contact Name: Bobby A Smith

Deal 1 Created 12/10/17

Deal 1 Closed 1/15/18

Deal 1 Amount: $5,000

Campaign(s) Associated: "Inbound 17 Campaign" and "Inbound 18 Campaign"

Deal 2 Created 1/10/18

Deal 2 Closed 5/10/18

Deal 2 Amount: $1,000

Campaign(s) Associated: "Inbound 18 Campaign"

My proposal is that deals could appear as influenced in two ways.

1. Deals created after the campaign was created and have closed within the dates that you are filtering in the influence report AND contacts were influenced by the campaign.
  2. Deals created before the campaign was created but closed after the campaign was created AND a contact was influenced by the campaign.

In the above example, Deal 1 would appear against rule 1. 

Based on Rule 1 (above), the results for the "Inbound 18 Campaign" should be $1,000 of influenced revenue based on the create date of the deal. This is because the deal was created after the campaign was created and closed after it was created.

In the above example, Deal 1 and 2 would appear against rule 2.

Based on Rule 2 (above), the results for the "Inbound 18 Campaign" should be $6,000 of influenced revenue based on the close date of the deal. This is because the deal was created before the campaign was created and closed after it was created.

I think the data would need to appear in two different columns:

Influenced Revenue: Created and Closed

Influenced Revenue: Closed

The columns would have tool tips to explain how these columns are calculated.

Taking it to another level, interesting and perhaps useful data would be:

Influenced Revenue: Created Deals 
This would be all deals created within that lookup window and associated to that campaign

I think the default behavior should be that all deals should not be included in "Influenced Revenue" unless the deal was created after the campaign was created.

These other metrics I'm proposing should be additional and optional to add to your columns in the report.

22 Comentarios
kristibjornaas
Colaborador

HubSpot gets it SO close on so many things. It's these types of tools and functionality that stands in HubSpot's way to being a truly strategic tool. I love the concept of the campaign reporting but it is missing some key things like this and the ability to associate offline activities. 

mrizzo
Participante

Thanks Kristi, please pass this around to anyone you know in the ecosystem. We need this to get to the top of the list and get some votes!

Siddall
Colaborador líder

Here is another simple scenario where this "Influenced Revenue" is very inaccurate.  [We sell IT software, fyi.]

Campaign launched:

2017 New Years Promo

Prospect purchases:

February 2017 (yay!)  Influenced Revenue

More purchases:

December 2018 they purchase more software licenses

May 2019 they purchase one of our other software solutions.

The Problem:

Hubspot recognizes those 2018 and 2019 revenues as "influenced by the 2017 promo campaign".  (booooo)

Campaigns should have some form of "influence shelf-life".  At some point when the campaign is over, its "influence" is done.

Caveat:

I used wildly spread out dates to make the point...because, yes, you can ask..."why are you reporting on a 2017 campaign in 2019?"  But with campaigns that run and end Monthly, and customers who purchase new stuff Monthly....this really screws with "Influenced Revenue" reporting on campaigns.

Possible Solution:

A campaign option to add a "Influence ends on X" could be a resolution to this.  Thoughts?

Kecarl12
Miembro

Influenced revenue should also only look at Closed-Won opportunities, not all Closed opportunities. 

KateH
Colaborador

The influenced figure is really misleading!!! It looks like these are closed won deals but clearly not - makes evaluating campaigns really difficult if you have to go through the deals manually to see which really are closed won.  I think its pointless having it there!

It is also annoying that when you set up a campaign it doesn't pull historical info in - If I want to review an event and pull all the assets together to see how sucessfull the evnt was, it will only give me the info from the create date.

Also - is it me or do the Tracking links not always work?  I am sure that there have been hits to social media posts that we have used tracking links on and there is no information in the campaign even tho they are linked. I am just not sure how much I trust the information - I just need to be able to see the figures and not have to dig around to check them!

RRoux2309
Miembro

My problem is that any contact that has opened your email but also closed a deal not relevant to your email counts as influenced revenue! I could definitely be missing something in the way that deals are being linked etc. but I'm having a very hard time doing my reporting through Hubspot! For example, this snapshot shows closed deal of 1, but that deal does not relate to the product that I had advertised!

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 4.39.33 pm.png

Am I missing something and is there a way to fix this?

TarynR
Participante | Partner nivel Elite

It would also be good to have a second revenue figure - one that is just revenue from that campaign (i.e. not influenced revenue) so that we can see actual revenue that was a direct result of the campaign and not just if they were associated with the campaign (i.e. on the list an email was sent to). So having both figures would be helpful 

Also, it seems that if someone is on a list of an email that gets sent and a deal closes from them being in the portal already and they tdidnt even click on the email or open the email , they still seem to be added as a closed deal under the influenced revenuew on the campaign - this isnt correct as it should only be influenced if they actually interacted with email/ad, etc. 

KateH
Colaborador

This is a completely incorrect figure in campaigns - the information on the influenced revenue figure clearly states that this is the "Total revenue for all closed won deals" - It is absolutely not.

What is the point of having the figure if it doesn't measure anything and has no apparent reporting value.

Come on HubSpot this is useless and prevents any sort of camapaign comparison at all.  I wonder if this function is better in Marketo?  Its hard to be a HubSpot champion when you are trying to defend a fundamental part of marketing reporting that doesn't work!

Lucinda
Colaborador

It would also be really useful to be able to pull a report of properties against the deals that have been influenced by a Campaign. 

AliNaqvi
Miembro

We have the same issue. We see customers interacting with our campaigns. The campaigns are shown as influencing revenue which is wrong. Ideally, the campaigns should only be shown as influencing revenue if the interaction was done before they signed the deal. This is misleading.

KateH
Colaborador

HubSpot have corrected this.  I'm not sure if thats a global thing or someting they just did for us as I had requested it - might be worth checking

Ours now only measures closed one deals

Estado actualizado a: Delivered
dmastin
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

For Marketing Hub Enterprise users, Influenced Revenue has been replaced by Attributed Revenue. When a contact engages with a campaign, you will now see revenue attributed to this campaign based on the interactions of associated contacts when deals are closed/won. Marketing Hub Enterprise users can click into the metric to see a detailed breakout of the revenue interactions. You can also find more detail about how campaigns are performing in the report builder.

Marketing Hub Professional users will continue to see the Influenced Revenue metric for the time being.

Bruamico
Participante | Partner nivel Diamond

Hi @dmastin , this feature is higly needed for professional accounts as well, it's a way to highlight HubSpot as a true strategic tool, and enable it to grow inside a company. My pledge is to make it available to all versions.

BrittanyGrace
Miembro

Hi @dmastin I agree 100% with @Bruamico, in our professional account I find that I want to use the Campaign functionality so badly because it really could be so effective for marketing reporting. It's just not quite there and creates problems when we actually do try to report off of it.  

@KateH outlined the problem really nicely: "The influenced figure is really misleading!!! It looks like these are closed won deals but clearly not - makes evaluating campaigns really difficult if you have to go through the deals manually to see which really are closed won. "

So did @RRoux2309  "My problem is that any contact that has opened your email but also closed a deal not relevant to your email counts as influenced revenue!"

These are also my biggest pain points in our HubSpot Professional account and could be SO helpful for marketers in terms of reporting but unfortunately, it causes more issues when trying to report off of it in terms of false information. Please help us Pro Accounts 🙂

KateH
Colaborador

@BrittanyGrace I spoke to HubSpot about this and they have changed ours so it excludes closed not won/closed lost deals now.

I thought they had done this across the board but looks like it may just be ours they have adjusted.  worth speaking to them though as ours just reports on closed won now.

BrittanyGrace
Miembro

Hi @KateH thank you, that is so awesome to hear! I will reach out to our CSM now 🙂

jeremypyles
Participante

I'm a 10 year long time Hubspot Enterprise Marketing and Sales Pro/Service Pro customer.

To be totally frank, I hate the campaign tool. I really hate it. My marketing person hates it. My Managing director hates it.

It is 90% great with a massive 10% fail that invalidates the entire purpose of the tool, which I would summarize as this:

OBJECTIVE: show me the revenue from all the marketing activities associated with a campaign.

Hubspot can't do this. I don't care about anything else.

We run sales in Shopify and have to manually create a static list to associate those sales with the campaign. Some are automagically associated and some are not. no idea why. this **bleep**.

So we jump through hoops to manually create a list using shopify tags. (that was awesome). 
It now shows 6 deals associated with the Campaign. Great...right?

No not great because the revenue number is unicorns and rainbows wrong. It seems like it is just made up.

Hubspot: why can't you just show me the revenue of the DEALS associated with a campaign?

Is that too much to ask?

If you hate this tool and think they missed the boat, please up-vote!

I apologize for my passion here...just really really really hate this tool.

Jeremy

bmalave
Miembro

I'm the Marketing Person that Jeremy mentioned above. I have been setting up Campaigns for what feels like forever and I'm blown away that the Revenue information is still not accurate.

Ideally, it would be nice if the correct amount generated "automagically" but why not have a drop-down under the Deal so our sales team can manually assign that deal to a campaign?

BrittanyGrace
Miembro

Yes to the manually assign! Especially because you cannot retroactively add deals to a campaign. For example, I set up a campaign and a deal had closed from it but it went through the wrong workflow and thus was not tagged as the right campaign so now I have to make a sticky note to remember that the deal was a part of that campaign as opposed to being able to pull an automated report. 

WBHydrosense
Participante

Hello mrizzo, 

Thank you very much for starting this thread, it is exactly what I was looking for! 

One additional point i'd like to make is as well as being able to define the close date of a particular deal within a particular deal pipeline it would be great to include some additional filtering. 

For example I have some additional custom properties within my deals to include quantities of product sold to each individual customer/deal within a specific month (deal pipeline). 

We often have product specific campaigns and thus it would be no use looking at the infulsence of revenue for a campaign if the campaign was centered around selling a particular product and said product was not sold on the deal. 

Hope this makes sense but the bottom line is we need some additional filters within the capaign anayalitics section; 

Closed deal date range 

Campaign date range 

If customer property includes X (Or greater than for numeric values) 

Thanks!

Will