HubSpot Ideas

mitchellkp

CTA retina display support

HubSpot automatically compresses images, CTAs - either custom image or the out of the box Hubspot stylings -- do not look crisp, clear and high-res on retina displays.

Add support for retina and otherwise address the image quality loss in CTAs.

72 Replies
Courtny

Upvote! The auto compression for retina images hosted in Hubspot is very annoying! Perhaps have an option to bypass this with an appropriate named resource (@2x prepend or something)

"Guys, huddle in and take a knee… Listen, it’s 2017. Mobile opens outweigh desktop opens by 2-1. Every mobile device has an HD display. Now … what the hell are you doing over there?"

Kanefire
Contributor

agreed. macs make up a significant percentage of machines used. Retina and HD is here to stay. Having a native way to handle images without devs/js/coding is a must.

ojobson
Top Contributor

It's not just macs but pretty much EVERY MOBILE DEVICE! Any half decent mobile device produced in the last couple of years has a high res screen and graphics containing text look rubbish if the image isn't made to suite.

The issue isn't the compression, it's due to not serving a large enough image. The image needs to be aprox' double height and width. If you have high compression and double size images, the images are still fairly small in filesize, but look great on screens with high pixel density, like retina.

ojobson
Top Contributor

Possible work around, foudn here: https://inbound.org/discuss/image-quality-loss-in-ctas

1. Make your CTA as you normally would, including uploading your 144 dpi image, and save the CTA.

2. Edit your CTA from the main list of CTAs, go to the Design tab, and click "Original" under Image Size. 

3. Save your CTA again, and voila! The quality is no longer crappy.

UPDATE: This doesn't work 😕

raleighleslie

Oh man I cannot beleive there is no way to display retina CTA images!

I have tried every which way to no avail... the possible work around above does not work.

Please make it so we can serve the original image but sized down! Thanks!

tabbs

The workaround above looks helpful, but this is certainly something that should not require a workaround. 

But..... not sure this is going to be helpful for the Header/Footers? 

raleighleslie

The workaround does not solve the problem here. 

It is currently not possible to have Retina CTA images. Cannot wait till it is possible!

Embarrassing pixelated CTA's misrepresenting our companies care about quality... 😞

ojobson
Top Contributor

Yep - not good. No idea if there is even a road map for this?

JDot14

Yup yup, same boat here - the combination of image compression and no retina support for the CTA is killing me. My emails look super sloppy because of that - it's just not good enough! 

Justin14
Participant

Was just about to post a question about this - it's really a major pain. On mobile the CTA's look terribly blurry and I can't seem to fix this. It absolutely needs to change - something like 56% of our opens are on mobile 😞

jakeb
Participant

+1

I'm surprised that it's been over 4 months since this issue was reported and HS has yet to respond to this. This is a valid bug and really is preventing us from wanting to use CTAs.

mike-ward
Key Advisor

Another +1.

It's awful having low-resolution CTAs when the majority of users are opening emails on a high-res phone display.

And the only workaround would be to not use HubSpot CTA functionality but build-your-own - which kind of defeats the point!

jakeb
Participant

6 weeks later... no response from HubSpot! Still dealing with 1x graphics, and I'm still cringing every time I see one of our emails.

I wonder if HubSpot reads these threads...

Kanefire
Contributor

yeah, there is a bunch of critical stuff just languishing. they seem to be only focused on the things that will make them more money. kind of ironic for a company that coined the term "inbound marketing" where it is all about the user experience.

mitchellkp
Top Contributor

We need to elevate this issue with votes. Share with your networks and others users to get it upvoted. It looks like so much HS dev is on sales products and new revenue, not helping with UX. CTA images, better WF controls (holidays/pause), email flexible templates, etc.

Kanefire
Contributor

We are on sales side to and... well... that needs serious help too. They built their platform based on their ideology and not the needs of the companies that use it and it is biting them in the arse right now. Again, ironic for a company who captured the term "inbound" which is bottom up.

Sonnenberg

The only solution I found was to use the Rich Text Module instead of the build in Image Modile. Insert the retina image then use inline CSS to resize smaller.

Szed
Participant

Up.

I can't  believe this is still an issue.

CTA's look so ugly, i won't click on it event with a stick.

Please Hubspot, fix this!

mitchellkp
Top Contributor

I'd like to use Smart CTAs but I will not without retina support for HS CTAs

T_G
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

We are still having issues with this.  We're an agency and it's hard to sell a product you think has major flaws in essential areas. We didn't think to ask "will it take us 20 times longer to build emailers with CTAs than in any other available platform?"  (not exaggerating -- we track our time).