HubSpot Ideas

allyg

Bulk-editing multiple checkbox properties

When using properties to track activity that we need to report on, e.g., event registrations or product adoption, it would be very helpful to be able to bulk edit multi-checkbox properties by appending values rather than replacing them. Currently the only way to do this appears to be with a workflow or new import, but we are often updating properties directly in the CRM and hate to risk undoing work/data that has been compiled over time. 

47 Replies
annieseattle
Contributor

I am shocked that this has only 2 upvotes.  I just bulk edited about 300 multi-checkbox items and the value that I "added" via bulk edit on contact records overwrote all previously selected items.   This is terrible.  Instead, it should append the new value that's being added to a record.   It could have a quick checkbox to say "append to current selected checkbox items" or "overwrite all previous values."    

It should be disabled or have an error message if it doesn't just automatically append the new value that's being added to a record.    

Please fix this.  Thanks!

allyg
Participant

^ I agree with having a warning/error message, at the very least!

charliepinker
Contributor

Agreed. As a minimum the UI should warn users better about the actual behaviour of doing this. There's no indication whether bulk updating a multiple checkbox property entirely replaces the existing values or just adds the selections you've made.

I suppose the reverse scenario clarifies the way it has to work this way - e.g. if I wanted to unselect a particular selection in bulk, how would the update process know whether me leaving a field blank meant I didn't want to update that selection, or that I actually wanted to unselect that selection from any existing records. This could be improved with some more configurability of the bulk update UI.

katkocurek

Agreed. What is the point of having the multiple checkbox property available in bulk edit if it's functionality is not to append but to overwrite? 

jonathanredford

Upvote - this is a important feature!

AndreaH
Participant

I also agree - please fix this issue. 

Abirch
Participant

I 100% agree that it is a much need feature to have the option to either append OR override when updating a property that by nature should allow multiple selections!

We use the multi-checkbox as a feature to track at which events a person has been met with to determine our ROI on events. I do this with imports of our lead scanner lists after an event and it is a pain that I cannot update this property within that import without overriding the original inputs in that property.

maanumer

Yes! I found this out the hard way. Does anyone have a good work-around for this until it is fixed?

njohnson7
Participant

Also just learned this the hard way!! Never would have expected the data to be overwritten in a multi-choice check box field.

vmcgee
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Totally agree, if you aren't going to allow the append in bulk edit then at least provide a warning. 

AmyLauder

100% agree - this is going to be a serious issue for us if we can't do it. We have massive amounts of multiple choice properties and want to be able to bulk update one option at a time without impacting all the other options. How is this not possible?

kimberkol
Participant

This is very necessary!

david-perroud

It is necessary for us too. Whenever a contact fills in a form with multiple checkboxes, it overwrites the data instead of appending it.

- The new data should be appended and not overwritten by default

- Even better, when creating a form, we should have the option to ever "Overwrite" or "Append"

kimberkol
Participant

david-perroud - I was able to work around this issue by setting up a separate identical property for forms and then setting up a workflow that appends each corresponding value using if / then branches. Let me know if you would like any help setting that up.

Ultimately, it's a huge flaw that we have to make such a workaround and this would be a very important feature that would save my company a ton of time.

mhandford

(facepalm) Yes, an append option would be useful for us and a real time saver.

cbung
Participant

I agree.  This is an edit feature, not a "clean the slate" feature.  You should be able to uncheck or check boxes; not erase them and start over.

lmilliken
Participant

AGREED 100%!  This is definitely something that would help make our workflows so much easier.

Thinh

To be able to update multiple choices properties would be very much appreciated. Now it overwrites any updates.

Case:

We've made a property 'downloaded content offer' and listed all the forms we have in this multiple choice property. The idea is to learn whether our users find our offers valuable enough to come back and search (and download) more content that could help them. This way, we would also better understand the clusters of content that go together.

There are workarounds I can think of, but it would be much easier if the multiple choice property could be updated accordingly.

mprichodko
Participant

YES please!!! Very useful and important feature!

Cecilia_Decima
Participant

Adding my voice to the choir here - this would be a very valuable feature.