HubSpot Ideas

rkimmerling

Block User from Chat

The chat function is a great way to allow our website visitors to get in touch with us quickly and conveniently, but it is also a tool that can be abused by the few mal-intentioned indivuals we see on our sites. Whether they believe the individual they are interacting with is a bot, or they are simply violating professional decorum, there should be a function to ban a user or an IP address from the chat frunction, either permanently or for a specified duration of time. 

LiveChat Inc is a software I have used in the past that has this function, which works quite nicely. I would love to see this implemented in Hubspot in the future. 

HubSpot Updates
December 14, 2020 02:27 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback! We are taking a look at blocking chat users and addressing the experiences raised here. We hope to incorporate it into our 2021 plans and I will share an update here when we have a more specific sense of timing.

39 Replies
skiingmadman
Participant

Agree with all those concerned about the lack of control and anonymity the hubspot inbox enables. 

DoraMeleg
Contributor

This was requested more than a year ago, and was planned for 2021. Still no news? 

AHethcote

Hi @tilly 

Is there any update to this? We would really love this feature as we get a lot of bot traffic through the chat. 

NicoleJ
HubSpot Moderator

+1

Ikam
Participant

I see there hasn't been an update, and we've had a lot of issues with abuse utilizing the chat app. As a result, we're considering abandoning Hubspot chat because it lacks the same level of security and functionality as rival platforms, which provide it as a standard feature across all pricing tiers. It's unfortunate that there have been no changes to this matter, and Hubspot has failed to keep commitments yet again. It's been years since SMS and Whatsapp, and despite having seen the new WhatsApp native app, which will be extremely lovely, it has yet to be launched. I'm leaving for the time being!

AAeschlimann
Participant | Platinum Partner

Great idea - would save a lot of ressources.

Rongen
Contributor

It's 2022 - any update for this?

Hydro

Salesforce

FreshChat

CrispChat

LiveChat

DriftChat

CollectChat

and even Zoho 

all allow their customers to block abusive users from chat. And we pay a premium to keep reading and processing this spam?

Is HubSpot not recording the IP address of a user entering a message into a chat window?

Does this feature require an entire rewrite of the chat module?

TC_MI
Participant

Agree, this is a basic function that should be available, and is available in other Live Chat software.  We previously used Pure Chat and had the ability to block. 

CCompteprinci

Is there a date set for this change?
Thanks in advance

APineiro2

Any updates on when we can expect this feature? We are getting more and more phishing messages through our Live Chat. 

jfreeley
HubSpot Moderator

This is something that I'd love to see added. It sounds like this is a best practice for site and data integrity.

AVChrista
Contributor | Elite Partner

Would love to see this feature become a reality!

bjoernshw

woul be helpful if implemented soon.

JMartin9
Participant

Any updates on this? Sadly we've had an individual missappropriate the livechat on our website for the last couple of weeks.

I'd also appreciate any pointers towards a workaround if anyone knows anything 🙂

VArmstrong
Participant | Elite Partner

If you show HubSpot support the chat then they can find and manually block the IP address. Clearly, your nuisance person can use other devices but if you persist in getting them blocked we find they go away eventually

KGreene3

Would love to see this become an option. It helps to block but that does nothing when the prank chatter comes back under a different email alias. 

ScottKiessig
Participant

Any update? 2021 plans... but its now 2024.

SVitale8

We get a lot of spam users trying to sell to us and simply bombard us with gmails and other personal domains. It would be great for users to have to input their email to gain access to the chat. And then we can block things like domain and limit to business-only emails (if that fits our needs). More personalization on the chat feature is definitely needed.