HubSpot Ideas

exoboy

Be able to add buttons that trigger webhooks

I have a client who wants to be able to view shipping quote pricing from our shipping platform in their HubSpot account and also be able to click a button to "refresh" or "requote" that deal's shipping costs.

Unless I am mistaken, there is currently no way to create a button and assign it to a webhook. I would love to be able to trigger sending calls to our API through direct user actions, like clicking a button, or updating the property of csutom properties... or basically ANY user data changes that they initiate.

1 Reply
exoboy
Participant

So, for anyone interested I finally found an answer for my own question. In order to have something on the page that could trigger a webhook and execute an activity on an external serice, I created a work-around as follows: (1) I created a custom Deal property called "Deal Action Options", (2) I then added a webhook in a custom app I created that listens for changes in this properties values, (3) it triggers the webhook which sends the new value to my external API.

The custom value appears as a select menu in my deals, and all of the option's values are what is passed to my external serivce (API).

It works great. But the downside is that the user has to select an option THEN click the save button in order for the property change event to trigger my webhook.

Also, the selected value gets saves, so when the page is reloaded it is pre-selected. I plan on writing a workflow that resets this property every time the page reloads (if possible). If not, then I might be able to send back a request from my API to alter the value to a default, non-action. This would be noisier since it will also trigger a new request to my API - but I have things set up to ignore anything but legitimate requests.

Don't know if this helps anyone, but it has certainly been eating at me for a long time.

With all of HubSpot's power, it is severely lacking in customization flexibility at the developer level.