HubSpot Ideas

MTrummel

Baffled by Recurring Revenue Complication

I recently developed a system within HS to track three separate pipelines with three sets of deal stages. I added product line items. I worked with the sales team to help them track this information within their deals so that we could see the MRR, ARR and TCV within each deal. Each line item allows you to establish how many months are within the billing cycle. All of that data should allow for a report to be created WITHOUT having to even FURTHER complicate the MRR with the recurring revenue system that HS created (Here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/deals/track-recurring-revenue-with-revenue-analytics). If HS already calculates the MRR of each deal, asks for the billing start date and the number of months billed...why is it not possible to pull that data into a simple report?? Why do I have to create redundant properties to create this report when you already have the data?? 

• Recurring revenue amount: the total amount of recurring revenue associated with a deal. This is a monthly value. (AUTOMATICALLY CALCULATES IN HS - WHY MANUAL??)
  • Recurring revenue deal type: the deal type. The available values for this property are New businessRenewalUpgrade, and Downgrade. (WE ALREADY HAVE DEAL TYPES IN DEALS)
  • Recurring revenue inactive date: the date when this specific amount of recurring revenue for the deal is no longer collected. (YOU ASK ME HOW MANY BILLING MONTHS AND YOU KNOW THE START DATE....)
  • Recurring revenue inactive reason: the reason why this specific recurring revenue amount is no longer collected. The available values are ChurnedRenewalUpgrade, and Downgrade. (NOT ALL BUSINESSES NEED THIS PROPERTY FOR TRACKING)

Why is this so hard? This seems like SUCH a useful tool for many HS users who would like to understand how their MRRs are tracking. 

HS, please don't make us completely overcomplicate this process. 

3 Replies
Austin01

While trying to find out why the billing start date didn't really work how I was looking for it to work, I came across this forum and have very similar feelings.

The billing start date is a great feature but it doesn't appear to help with quoting or reporting. When it comes to quotes, nowhere does it state that "Line Item 1" fee starts after "X Days" which would be necessary for us to use the quoting feature without confusing customers. We could add the information to Purchase Terms but adding it to the actual line item would make it significantly clearer. 

Then for reporting, we have very similar pain points to the original poster. One property we want to be automated is First Year Value to us. The ACV number is accurate until you start using delayed billing dates and then it no longer works for reporting. The only way I have found to have a report on First Year Value is by manually filling in the property, I have not found a way to automate delayed billing date information into any reporting.

When we saw the delayed billing date feature, we were excited because we have quotes with multiple line items that all kick in at different times. But once I started testing out the field, I learned that the delayed billing date isn't shown anywhere but on the line item in the line items section. 

If anyone has any suggestions or have found other options, would appreciate the help. HubSpot, would love to see this feature built out more.

EPTMichael

I too have run up against this as we've looked to try and accommodate some odd customer requests.

The fact that there's a "delay billing start" field and it just ignores it during ACV calculations completely ruins the ACV metric and any reporting built off it.

I don't imagine this is especially hard to build out... it's already present in the billing summary, just make ACV reflect total first year billing?

Like previous posters, any alternatives would be welcome. 

jamesdavison

Agreed, using delayed billing start dates makes it impossible to get an accurate ARR number (as all the delayed starts count as first year ARR).  We are doing this to allow for different discount levels for different years of a multi-year contract but it breaks ARR/MRR reporting