HubSpot Ideas

snedyavila

Automatically reopen closed tickets when they receive a reply from the customer

*Submitting on behalf of customer*

Tickets are a great way of managing customer support/services. However, it would be helpful to allow for the automatic reopening of closed tickets that receive a reply from the customer.

Currently when a ticket is closed and the customer replies, it remains closed. This can lead to missed replies when focusing on open tickets.

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
March 17, 2019 06:32 PM

Hey all - thanks for your patience here! This feature is now available for all Service Hub Pro and Enterprise customers and will be turned on by default for any net new customers moving forward.

Just navigate to Ticket settings and select the pipeline for which you’d like to configure this automation:

ticket-status-automation.png

32 Replies
cketelaar

To me this makes sense. when a customer responds, this automatically means he/she has additional information. So the ticket should re-open.

Now, as a Service Hub power user, I want to be able to configure this re-open action for our agents. What should happen with a customers' response to an already closed ticket;

- create a new ticket (possibly associated to the former ticket)

- re-open the closed ticket and set it to stage NEW (so it can be assigned like a new ticket)

- re-open the closed ticket and set it to stage "first line support" so the previously assigned support agent can pick up from where he left off.

- re-open the closed ticket and set it to stage "level 2 support" so our technician can pick up from where he left off.

-etc.

thinkinh about these options, I would like it to be configurable. so as the service hub manager I can set the stage a closed ticket should re-open to when receiving a customers' response. (or create a new ticket entirely)

Kam416

Just adding my voice here.  Freshdesk has this in the free version, as it appears a lot of others do.  

Very disappointed that Hubspot wouldn't put this as an option in the free version.   Clients that start in free often upgrade over time as they grow, but if they don't want to start in your free version, you lose them and they scale in your competitor systems.

Kierstin
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Love this idea! I was just looking into how this works for one of our customers. We need this ability or we have to wait to make sure there's no push-back before closing. 

Salubritas

Looks like this was added to Service Hub Starter on April 22, 2020 (but only if purchased after March 3rd!)

https://www.hubspot.com/product-updates/product-update-blog-ticket-automation-for-service-hub-starte...

sbk_100
Participant

I completely agree with @cketelaar - I find it very hard to believe that the only way to manage replies to a closed ticket is by turning on ONE rule that would define how to manage ANY customer reply.

i.e. if I am engaging with a customer on a ticket, the ticket should remain open (example, Waiting on Us vs. Waiting on Them) but if a ticket is Closed and a customer replies to it, then I'd like for that reply to be moved into NEW status as well as clear Ticket Owner field.

I'm going back & forth with the HS Team for over a week trying to figure this out. Why is something so obvious so difficult to accomplish?

@cketelaar @ wrote:

To me this makes sense. when a customer responds, this automatically means he/she has additional information. So the ticket should re-open.

Now, as a Service Hub power user, I want to be able to configure this re-open action for our agents. What should happen with a customers' response to an already closed ticket;

- create a new ticket (possibly associated to the former ticket)

- re-open the closed ticket and set it to stage NEW (so it can be assigned like a new ticket)

- re-open the closed ticket and set it to stage "first line support" so the previously assigned support agent can pick up from where he left off.

- re-open the closed ticket and set it to stage "level 2 support" so our technician can pick up from where he left off.

-etc.

thinkinh about these options, I would like it to be configurable. so as the service hub manager I can set the stage a closed ticket should re-open to when receiving a customers' response. (or create a new ticket entirely)

dave-kimble
Participant

This is a really basic request and should be included in basic and starter.

ARich
Contributor

This is NOT delivered in all instances. If the email in question just happens to be a forwarded email it becomes a second class email that isn't treated the same. No automation for you! The email was forwarded HubSpot doesn't update the associated contacts and it doesn't reopen the ticket. How dare you deal with forwarded emails and expect the same functionality. 

Kubs

Hi guys,

If You need a workflow which opens tickets when any email comes to your ticket, this is the best way to do it. 

Kubs_0-1675332360106.png

I was struggling for months with this case and found out that Inbox in Conversations is superior over tickets, so ticket workflows go crazy and unlogic. My team is working in above workflow for last weeks and I haven't noticed any problems. First line of Hubspot Customer Service and my Onbording Partner couldn't help me with that - @hubspot you should count that workflow in your templates - it is basic function for support teams.

STexas

@Kubs  - that is a great idea and I wish it would work for us. Unfortunately, it seems you still have to have Service Hub Pro or above as it doesn't seem you can alter ticket properties in workflows without it. So dissapointed in @hubspot for not even having the most basic functionality in their service platform. I've used so many CRMs over the years and this one is the absolute worst for service. Without the functionality to automatically re-open tickets when a customer replies to them, this system is essentially worthless for service. 

ARich
Contributor

There's the built in functionality under the Settings > Tickets > Pipelines > Automate where you can turn on the function to move the ticket to a specific status when someone replies. 

ARich_0-1701265836666.png

Someone else suggested that forward are treated as a second class email - which they are by default. I too was really struggling with this and then one of the HubSpot Support folks pointed out the "Choose original sender of email forwards" toggle in Inbox settings. 

Settings > Inbox > choose your inbox > edit your email address > scroll to the bottom of the page to find the toggle. 

When I turned this off, most of the problems we were experiencing in this area were immediately fixed. No system is perfect, but this really helped. 

ARich_1-1701266077638.png

DanMYD
Contributor | Elite Partner

There's also a way to modify the standard workflow that reopens tickets when people reply. This allows us to work around the issue of forwarded emails and replies to them not reopening a ticket. Just takes a little knowledge of how the default properties work in HubSpot (including ones that are hidden from the UI).

JDale

This was implemented but not thought through at all. If a customer replies to a closed ticket on the same topic, sure, you want that ticket to reopen. But if the customer replies three years later on a different topic because that was the easiest way for them to find you support email address, that should be a different ticket. And right now it is just that same original ticket which now will have metrics that say it's been open for three years. That is not good.

Worse than that, it actually re-opens every ticket that appears to be even remotely related. So one email might re-open a dozen old closed tickets, and you have to re-close every single one, plus make a new ticket, and tediously change all the associations for the email. This workflow is a disaster.