HubSpot Ideas

Stevie

Automatically associate Contacts with Companies based on Company Name property

Currently, HubSpot will only automatically associate a Contact with a Company if the Contact's email sending domain matches the Company Domain Name of a Company record. If a Contact is using an email address that was not supplied by their company, it would be great if the software could instead match it to a Company record via the Contact's Company Name property. 

35 Commentaires
danyelb
Contributeur

Actually, this is a MUST HAVE as this email based restriction is present in no other CRM and creates complete havoc when you try to import data that doesn't meet the pre-established email based criteria.

Quite a few times, you don't always have a Contacts email address from the get go...

And if you have some contact list that you could use as Leads but they don't have email address' then if you import these, no association will happen and you will end up with a bunch of Companies with no Contacts and Contacts with no Companies.

Please consider changing the way these associations are made!

Thanks!

jsearles
Participant

The functionality should go a step beyond. Using the Company property as a "fallback" if the email doesn't provide a suitable domain is not necessarily desirable, either. HubSpot needs setting for users to determine how they want to company record to be generated. For us, the Company property is the only method we would use, not a fallback.

Example:

Our target prospects are real estate brokerage owners. Many of these people have email addresses supplied by their franchise. I'll use RE/MAX as an example. The contacts' own different, independent franchise companies with names like RE/MAX Elite, RE/MAX 1st Choice, etc. All of these companies are separate entities, but most of the owners use name@remax.net for their email address, so HubSpot matches them all to a national RE/MAX company record. We have hundreds of unrelated contacts grouped under RE/MAX, when they should each have their own company record for their brokerage.

fergus
Membre

Please fix this. I realize its a core function. But many times companies have subsidiaries that have different email domains. This single function makes it difficult for my company to use Hubspot. 

LizO
Contributeur de premier rang | Partenaire solutions Elite

Here is an idea until HubSpot can build what you want.  According to this post, "HubSpot will also look at the contact's Website URL property to attempt to match the contact with a company's domain name."  adding the URL property to your imports will help HubSpot auto assign your contacts.  

Oh and I too agree that the Company field should be used to try and associate Contacts to Companies.  

lindsay_tiz
Participant

I honestly can't believe it doesn't do this if you have a contact and a company tied together in a row. We just imported our data from another CRM via .csv, and a number of contacts had Company name but not email, just because we had been data gathering and hadn't gotten emails yet. None of the contacts are associated with the company, even though they CLEARLY are tied to the company. So lame. A basic function that every crm, address book, directory, etc. honors.

cortneyc
Participant

Please please please add this!! I'm working in rural development in Ukraine, and most of the companies (or entities I'm recording as companies, such as village councils) do not have standardized or discrete email domains. Most people just use things like gmail or mail.ru. We want to be able to use HubSpot in our mission of promoting small- and mid-sized businesses here, but it is tremendously cumbersome having to manually match contacts with companies! 

danyelb
Contributeur

Hi HubSpot,

Are you guys ever going to consider or address this?

I hate to say it, but this comes back pretty much every week from the Community, so I would say it's high time it gets fixed...

Looking forward to somekind of feedback.

Thanks!

jsearles
Participant

I would be quite happy with a Workflow option that allows me to associate a contact with a company or vice versa. That would be a really great feature for anyone importing for the first time, as well as for the rest of us for whom the current logic does not work.

Wahlfried
Membre

This would be a great feature!
We have customers in city councils, districts and towns who all have the same domain but different "offices". Every "office" (unit) manage themself in a certain degree and therefor we have to be able to track what communications has been sent to each "office" and which contacts that has been contacted.

Not having this feature leads to us having to manually associate contacts of several hundred contacts during our campaigns which slows down the process.

WhatJudisays
Membre

SO SO nescessary!!!   We have thousands of contacts and I'm having to manaully update over half of them!  So to reitterate what the other commenters have said:

if a contact i've imported has the email address joe@live.com, or anything else that's not an exact copy of the company domain, hubspot either creates a new (and now duplicate) company for him, or doesn't link him to anyone. I'm having to go one by one through hundreds of contacts to either link them, or even more time consuming, merge the now duplicate company with the one it should be and then go back and link him to that one. I'd like to be able to 'tell the system; to link by website address or company name rather than email domain.   

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this as an option.  

Thanks!

DWahl
Membre

Totally agree with this - this feature is very needed indeed!

Anna-T
Participant

The automatic association really makes no sense at all and makes importing contacts almost impossible. Adding them manually is the faster and safer way up to a number of at least 50 or so. We are a b2b business and we almost always have different offices of the same company in our system, so location Berlin, location Stockholm, location Paris, etc. They all have the same domain - so when we import contacts, it almost always creates a mess. 

StefanieSmith
Participant

We focus on small, privately-owned businesses and many use gmail, not a unique domain. Could we verify by Company Name and Street Address, for example? There needs to be a way to match Contacts to a Company based on an alternate field than email domain.

andrews
Membre

This is a must have and should be enchanged in next release; severe limitation of database management.  

p_viv
Contributeur

Had I known this limitation I would not have moved to HubSpot sales.

DaveE
Participant

This is a VERY necessary feature and I'm glad to see we aren't the only ones who have been caught out by this. 

We work in the sporting industry managing admin for organisations such as sports clubs. Often, the people who run these clubs will operate them through their personal email and therefore, currently, it is impossible for us to quickly associate contacts to companies en masse which is a huge part of the service we pay HubSpot for.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. Frankly, I'm very surprised and disappointed it hasn't been updated sooner. I can't see how the current method is beneficial for anyone.

eNinja
Membre

It's absolutely ludicrous that filling in the company name field on a contact record does nothing to help associate the contact with that company. I thought HubSpot CRM was smart enough to go through and match things up, but obviously I was wrong. This is by far the biggest surprise from my testing thus far.

SarahCame
Participant

I think user should be be able to choose which field the system uses to automatically associate contacts with companies. some people use URL, some use comapny name etc. This limitation (along with not being able to A/B test workflows) is really causing issues for our business. If i had known about some of these limitations before implementing HubSpot i honestly think i would have rather gone with Marketo

CannabisBigData
Participant

+1  Ridiculous that we cannot import Company ID as an associated company for the contact record

SimonJ
Membre

I completely agree with this. It is a key feature that most other CRMs have and is a basic function i would like to see added to an already pretty holistic system.

I wouldnt even mind the opportuntiy to manually match the Company and Contacts when creating a new one,

An example is if you have the company in you data already, and you have to add 5 new contacts who are associated with that company (and the URL/email domain matching doesn't work because they work for a subsidiary of the group) then to have a drop down option under the default "create a contact" properties where you can select from your existing list of companies that are part of you database already is something that a lot of other systems do/have the capability of doing already.

This would also remove any opportuntity for error at the early stage of creating the CRM record