HubSpot Ideas

usmiclow

Automatic Phone Number Formatting

When a phone number field has data put into it, it is up to the User to format it the way they deem appropriate. That is not the most user-friendly or data-centric approach. This is a good way to allow users to enter incorrect or sloppy data and cause possibly difficulty with search results while also affecting adoption. There are many other CRM platforms out there (At least 12 I could find) which will automatically format a telephone number.   Hubspot does not currently have this basic feature.

Suggested solution: When a telephone number is typed into a phone field, the number should automatically format to the Contact's standardized country format with a country code in front of it.  So, for US, +1 (555) 555-5555, for UK, +44 5555 555555, etc.  Some countries do not have standardized formats, but widely accepted formats, or multiple formats depending on when the phone number was assigned. I do not know of an easy solution for that, but choosing one format or at the minimum, placing the correct country code in front of the numbers according to the selected country on the Contact or Company would be helpful. Possibly a non-editable drop-down with country abbreviation and code which auto-fills but is still selectable in case of error. This could also help with the calling feature if calling out of the country.

An admin User should be able to toggle in settings whether or not the field will auto format with country code. At the bare minimum, as a US based company, it should at least format any 10 digit numbers into standard US format (555) 555-5555.

159 Commentaires
BPorter5
Membre
That's the point isn't it? Most other software formats data in a useful
way why can't hubspot?

Why should we have to have multiple applications to accomplish this?

elizsmith
Contributeur

This would be incredibly helpful for us, as we need to copy/paste form submissions (like phone numbers) for our registration form to build new companies into our external reservations systems until we have an API integration.

PSughrue
Membre

Pick up your phone and put in a contact

The number is formated 

This BASIC database design 

VERY disapointed in this SLoppy ddesign!!!!!

BuyGoldAndBTC
Participant
One suggestion is to use a Zapier Zap to Zap the phone number into the
correct format, then Zap it back to Hubspot as an updated field

Just a thought!
elizsmith
Contributeur
Thank you for the idea! How would that work exactly?
TimWheeler79
Membre

@BuyGoldAndBTC, you can handle a multitude of actions with Zapier, but do you really want to pay for 2 zaps for every instance? We're talking about fundamental functionality, not something incredibily complicated!

DDavis13
Participant

Glad that this item is now in planning. This basic function will make a difference to all users.

PSughrue
Membre
As a user They won't let me do anything except input data.
**bleep**, even ACT let you pick a format from a drop down.
I have done enough database work to know this is a SIMPLE fix. JUST do it
AHollander314
Membre

It is really simple.

Phone numbers should be stored as ########## and shown in whatever format the user chooses (###) ###-#### or ###-###-####.

Search should work regardless of the format viewed.

Also, searching ANY part of the number should filter the results (last four, for example).

PSughrue
Membre
And this is doable on the user end?
CFE
Membre

Agreed with the most recent comments—we use 3CX integration and it's frustrating that a relatively simple fix (storing the stable E164 format number while enabling legibility and auto-formatting with JS in the UI) is still not available. Sacrificing legibility for HubSpot users by forcing manual E164 entry isn't a great alternative.

Hoping this is addressed soon!

PSughrue
Membre
I'm with you I do not understand the reluctance to fixing this.
KVeeravalli
Participant

We signed up with HubSpot in Dec' 21 and I had to convince all the internal execs that HubSpot is the best replacement for our legacy CRM. We focus on Hispanic demographic that's big on phone number and not so much on email. Initially, I was surprised to know that we can't dedup by phone number but somehow got around it using a dedup workflow. But yesterday, I found out that we can't even force users to input good phone numbers while creating contact. 90% of our contacts are created manually. I can have people creating "abcd" as phone numbers contact. This is beyond belief. It's so basic to so many software products and I am lost as in why HubSpot doesn't have this basic functionality. Any ETA on when this could be delivered?

PSughrue
Membre
They are more interested in making cute icon buttons than BASIC functionality
ACharpin
Participant | Partenaire solutions Diamond

How can we manage that for the moment? We have users from all over Europe....

PSughrue
Membre
Train those that input to use a standard convention.
KVeeravalli
Participant

HubSpot has released a phone formatting feature (or in the process of releasing it). We got the feature in Prod but was rolled back because of some bugs. I am hoping it will be released back again soon. The feature (we got to see it for a bit) is not perfect but definitely better. It lets you add formatting but the user can disable it. It also allows for extensions, even for mobile phone number. The formatting works only for the 2 system fields - phone number and mobile phone number but not for custom fields. As I said, it is not perfect but much better than what we had before. Now, I hope to get that feature released officially very soon.

PSughrue
Membre
Thank you
RMercer
Membre

Four and a half years later and this still isn't an option?!

PSughrue
Membre
Unbelievable Database 101