HubSpot Ideas

usmiclow

Automatic Phone Number Formatting

When a phone number field has data put into it, it is up to the User to format it the way they deem appropriate. That is not the most user-friendly or data-centric approach. This is a good way to allow users to enter incorrect or sloppy data and cause possibly difficulty with search results while also affecting adoption. There are many other CRM platforms out there (At least 12 I could find) which will automatically format a telephone number.   Hubspot does not currently have this basic feature.

Suggested solution: When a telephone number is typed into a phone field, the number should automatically format to the Contact's standardized country format with a country code in front of it.  So, for US, +1 (555) 555-5555, for UK, +44 5555 555555, etc.  Some countries do not have standardized formats, but widely accepted formats, or multiple formats depending on when the phone number was assigned. I do not know of an easy solution for that, but choosing one format or at the minimum, placing the correct country code in front of the numbers according to the selected country on the Contact or Company would be helpful. Possibly a non-editable drop-down with country abbreviation and code which auto-fills but is still selectable in case of error. This could also help with the calling feature if calling out of the country.

An admin User should be able to toggle in settings whether or not the field will auto format with country code. At the bare minimum, as a US based company, it should at least format any 10 digit numbers into standard US format (555) 555-5555.

159 Kommentare
JasonGilkes
Mitglied

Yes please, this is absolutely fundamental to a successful CRM.

The same way you format telephone numbers on your forms, you don't allow your paid users to do the same. It's mystifying.

daveyankowiak
Mitglied

Our sales team keeps requesting properly formatted/validated phone numbers on form submissions, so I keep coming back to this thread to see if the feature has been completed yet.

Hubspot, we need this feature ASAP.

Any update?

JohnBergquist
Mitglied

I've used other CRMs like ACT and Goldmine that allowed for this on any type of field, not just phone with a "Constrained Field" type.  That field type let the admin set the constraint of the new field by keying in nnn-nnn-nnnn for a phone number or aaaa-nnnnn for a 5 number part with 4 letter suffix for example.

BenjaminSF
Mitglied

I totally support this and was about to post my own thread on this very subject.  It kinda blows me away that every CRM I've ever used has this functionality... except for Hubspot.  My data and lists looks like **bleep** and dialing from the app is worthless if the phone number was input incorrectly.  Oh, and try dialing outside of the country without international code support.  Good luck.  

brentswashburn
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

@hroberts Like most, I'm very excited about this release, but I'm not seeing any difference aside from the country-code dropdown on forms. I think the orginal intent and largely the greatest need is to force formatting like (xxx) xxx-xxxx. Is that not the outcome of this soution? If not, I don't think it's fair to mark this as solved. 

krispag
Stratege/Strategin

@brentwashburn this truly is not solved. They have only added formatting to forms, but not the CRM user platform, which is equally if not more important. Admins should be able to enforce different formats depending on property type.

brentswashburn
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

@krispag Are you seeing forced form formatting for phone numbers? I just went through two dozen portals and I didn't see any changes aside from the country code drop-down. So now you can have that fancy +1 but the rest of your number still looks like 0000000000.

krispag
Stratege/Strategin

@brentwashburn no, they have not met this minimal expectation to date. Again, I am not even looking at forms, only the HubSpot CRM UI. What is interesting is they recognize the need because they do this with your phone number on the User Profile and Preferences screen, but then do not offer it anywhere else. If HubSpot themselves view it as necessary for data they are collecting, why would their users not need the same functionality?

Wholesale-Solar
Stratege/Strategin

@bhalligan It would be wonderful if someone from Hubspot could chime in on this thread. It feels like we are on our own here.

hroberts
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi all! This idea is not marked as Delivered anymore. There was a misunderstanding a few months ago and I reopened it. We are definitely still working on a more holistic solution to this.

There is a bug with the timestamps of the pinned posts at the top of this thread that are making all my comments appear as if they just happened. Our community developers are aware of the issue. I apologize for any confusion this is causing! Please always reference the status at the top left of the main post for the most up to date info 🙂

DidierG
Teilnehmer/-in

I definitelly like the suggestion of Erikblues .

It would be also a must to have  individual preference regarding phone formating (eg . spacing char "dot" or "space".)

This would make phone contact information more readable.

Thanks

LinaMHerrera089
Mitglied

It's really important!

Need country code in forms and all entries to phone number contact property.

johnhenry
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

HI Community,

Just picked up on this thread, like many others I share the enthuasim towards of this idea of having a set format.

Has there been any movement on this update?

thisisdatis
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

I see the option to add a country code, but i don't see a way to select how the format would appear. 

I need my phone numbers to appear like this +1 604 555 5555 

Is there any way of dictating the format? 

thisisdatis
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

anything happening with this?

Sara_O
Mitglied

Hi there! Any updates on this capability? 

Jusbut99
Mitglied

would be good to have!

Status aktualisiert zu: Being Reviewed
Dylan
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. The request to format and validate phone numbers is a good one, I can certainly see how this would deliver value in many different ways. Based on the comments and use cases you all have listed, we are reviewing this request and its feasibility among other priorities on our roadmap. At this time I don’t have any details around timing or delivery, but thanks to the comments and votes on this post we’re actively looking into a solution.

kdemars
Teilnehmer/-in

We are getting repeated requests from our sales team to have the phone number field automatically formatted regardless of how a user enters the information into the field. Not only would we like to have this moving forward, but if this feature is rolled out, it would be great to be able to apply it to our existing HubSpot data.

PeteAd
Mitglied

Any news on this feature? This really should be standard.