HubSpot Ideas

Siddall

Auto-populate Contact Country based on IP details

There needs to be an option for the "Contact.Country_IP" to update the "Contact.Country" field.

Unfortunately, it can't be done with a Workflow, because you can't update a List Field / Dropdown (Contact.Country) from a Text Field (Contact.Country_IP).

Why this request?

Inbound Marketers, including HubSpot, tout / stress / preach that more fields on a form = lower conversions; but then HubSpot makes us put Country on the form, even though a geo-lookup is done for County_IP.

I can't imagine that we are the only HubSpot Customer that needs to route new leads, and eventually report on leads "by Country".  Let's get this one sorted soon please.

18 Comentários
lauraparsons
Participante

We've created a mega workflow (well technically 6 as it was so big!) based on IP country code. so if a contact's IP country code is equal to ae set country contact property to United Arab Emirates. and do this for every IP country code.

I shan't lie - it took my colleague a long time but that's the way around it we found.

Siddall
Top colaborador(a)

New idea:  Export / Import feature for workflow configuration.  Smiley Gargalhando

@lauraparsons - Thank you for share what I assumed was the inevitable.  Cheers.

gepot
Colaborador(a)

Great idea, but needs more.  Where IP Country isn't available, the option must exist to switch on  a function for Company Country to copy to Contact Country. 

Siddall
Top colaborador(a)

@gepot - That idea does work for non-international companies.  Unfortunately I don't want HubSpot updating all international "McDonalds" contacts to the US solely because HubSpot Insights has the "McDonalds" company recorded headquartered out of the US.  If that makes sense. 🙂

gepot
Colaborador(a)

@Siddall - We ended up including the Country field in all our forms - waiting to see the impact of it in terms of conversions.  Yes, we recently worked through the same issue where global subsidiaries share the same domain.  Our workaround was to exclude certain domains for automatic association, then maintain a smart list of contacts that don't have a company association.  That way our sales teams can update manually as need be.  Lots of manual work, but at least it wil but comparatively accurate.

mphnyc
Participante

This is super important.  It gives us a way to get pertinent information without making contacts put info that should be easily understood.   Please consider getting this into plan ASAP!! 

SvetSli
Participante

Hi @Siddall ,

How did you exclude certain domains from automatic association?

Siddall
Top colaborador(a)

@SvetSli - I don't believe that we me that mentioned that.  I think it was @gepot 

Hope that helps.

SvetSli
Participante

@Siddall Whoops! My apologies.

@gepot How did you exclude certain domains from automatic association?

gepot
Colaborador(a)

@SvetSli - You can find the instruction to exclude domains here.

Siddall
Top colaborador(a)

My "Year 2 Check-In" on this one.   Bueller?

JeremyHong
Colaborador(a) | Parceiro Diamante

+1. This is definitely a needed feature for a few of our clients.

I'm surprised HubSpot hasn't implemented anything yet, especially at the Enterprise level. 

ChrisAllis1
Membro

Is there a data source for regions with countries?

Lanny
Participante | Parceiro Diamante

Following the topic here. I was perplexed to find out that this is not done automatically and now I see that it's hardly even possible?! Mayor Upvote from our side

WPolec
Membro

Big bump for this topic, just figured out that, unless you map each IP country code to a specific country/region, this cannot be done (still).

ShiranA
Colaborador(a) | Parceiro Diamante

Still needed.
There's no way to do it yet, right?

DeanHummel
Membro

+1 Please implement. Thanks

CCarroll4
Membro

Hey everyone!  In the past Ive used my own geoIP wordpress plugin to handle this.  It was sketchy at best.  However, now Clearbit is part of HubSpot.  Check it out at https://app.clearbit.com/.  I just got into it yesterday and I think its going to be promising!