HubSpot Ideas

KatieR

Auto-generated ID's (Deal IDs, Deal numbers, Project numbers, Job numbers, Reference numbers, etc.)

Are you interested in creating a custom field for deals that could auto-generate a unique ID? Sometimes they are called project numbers, project IDs, job numbers, job IDs, reference numbers, reference IDs etc. Some companies use an alphanumeric number and some just use a numeric value.

To the best of my knowlege Hubspot doesn't currently have a custom field that can be configured to auto-generate a value. Previously they have recommended using the deal ID in the URL string but this 8-digit number is not searcheable and also hard to remember as other users have pointed out. 

If you're interested in an idea like this vote it up in this thread and/or the following threads:

Found a workaround? 

Have you found a temporary workaround for this idea? Please share here or in the idea thread at the link above. 

19 Comentarios
TakeStock
Miembro

I too think this is a needed function as most CRMs allow for client ID naming conventions so we know that Smith Electric in Texas is different from Smith Electric in Florida w/o looking at the contact/company account to find the location.

robertriversoz
Colaborador | Partner nivel Platinum

Yes, it would be fine if an autogenerated ID could be created for each form submission too! This would help a lot when forms are used in events.

Great!

BennyBobby
Miembro

There is already a Deal ID generated in the URL for each Deal (the 9 digits that follow /deal/ are unique to each deal, so it should be possible to translate this as a field in the platform as well. Future iterations could include a unique ID for every accout, followed by consecutive numbers for new deals.

SarahN
Colaborador

I would very much like this option, for a different reason. As part of our cancellation process, we have clients fill out a form and send them a confirmation number. Right now, we are using Google Forms and an app that auto-sends replys and populates a number based on their form submission number. But it doesn't look pretty. What I would like, is to be able to do this through HubSpot or a related integration. I want them to complete a form and receive an automatic email with a confirmation number inside that is generated based off of their ID. 

Fedelta_PaulW
Miembro

I am interested in this feature, but from a company and contact perspective. When integrating multiple softwares which all require this informaiton, syning with a simple string is much easier than by long name/description

Matt_H
Miembro

I have a client that uses case IDs that his is a major need for. 

geraldjim
Miembro

This would be so useful as we are required to generate membership numbers for our doctors.  Being able to create a unique number and the being able to use this with other integration will help to streamline so many things as some of the professional we have do not use a unique email address ie they are managed byt the clinics admin.

TJ_Price
Colaborador

Agreed that there should be a way to create custom properties that auto-generate a random number (Deals, Contact, and Company properties) 

I would like to use an auto-generated property in a form, this would thus have to be a Contact Property ... though in cases where a contact submits the form multiple times, this property could be overwritten ... I guess that's where the Deal ID comes in?? I'm just not familiar with the relationship of forms to Deals. From what I know, only Contact Properties can be included in forms.

BPSmarketing
Participante

The issue with our environment is that there are unique numbers from 2 different systems and we would have to manually update information in those sales systems if we wanted to use the HubSpot ID. As in most businesses, sales is not willing to take on the heavy lifting so marketing is trying to make this work.

DanielleROTL
Participante | Partner nivel Diamond

is there any update on this? looks like this thread was started 3 years ago, assumed there would be something available by now? maybe a developer has created something?

AMcKnight7
Miembro

We would find it very useful to have this feature as well

LaraHerding
Miembro

This is a major need for us! 

We are curently implementing HubSpot and without an automaticlly generated ID we really don´t know how to proceed... We need a gateway to our existing ERP-System - without a unique identifier it´s simply not possible. For use the email as a unipque identifier is not working - emails can change, numbers not!

Jeet_Gautam
Participante | Partner nivel Diamond

I think we should have functionality at property level to auto increment the value of that property even in custom objects as well.

GGunnlaugsson
Miembro

It's absolutely mental that this is not an option. Kind of making me withdraw the decision to use Hubspot for CRM and sales. 

eliot_martin
Colaborador

Every other CRM/ERP I have used has the ability to create auto-generated numbers.  Like many others, this is a significant blocker for us in how we develop HubSpot.

Exhausted from having to hack what should be vanilla functionality into this product.

LBenyk
Miembro

Product numbers would also be very helpful.

Eddithor
Participante

We use a custom code action to generate a seven digit reference number for every ticket when it's created. Essentially, the system looks at the highest reference number on any of the existing tickets and then gives the new ticket that number + 1.  That actually gets assigned to a hidden system reference number property, which is then copied to the case reference number property that our team sees. The system reference number is a unique identifier to prevent accidental overlap, but the case reference number is often copied to related tickets in order to mark them as being part of the same case.

We do this because we need to be able to give a reference number for future follow up, particularaly with retail and service partners. Hubspot IDs are long and awkward to give out over the phone, whereas our retail partners are already accustomed to a 7 digit format that slowly counts up over time. And marking tickets as being part of the same case is especially important because of the lack of ticket to ticket associations.

This would all be a lot easier if generating IDs was a built in function. Even with our solution, the workflow that generates the reference number has to be prepared to try over and over again, as the action can fail several times before making it through.

BEvans32
Miembro

Another crucial yet simple function Hubspot should not lack.

Up Vote

Auto generate Deal Number - Quote Number  - Ticket Number

And for the sake of use all ......Please make them SEARCHABLE!

JIrvine1
Colaborador

Not just deals. In our case we'd like to auto generate ticket numbers that someone can remember.