HubSpot Ideas

alexaude

Auto Change Fields from Uppercase to Title Case

When I imported over 1,000 contacts to start the database, all of the contact information was uppercase. However, now when we started to manually enter new contacts, people have started to use lower case instead.

We would like to create consistency so we want to change the 1,000+ contacts that are currently uppercase to title case. Is there a way to batch change it to make every contact title case? If not, I would like to request a new feature be added to batch update/edit features for company and contact records. 

20 Replies
shearn
Key Advisor

One way to do this would be to export your contacts that have upper case contact information to an Excel Spreadsheet and then use the Poper Case function. Assuming you've uploaded them all on the same day, you can go to All Contacts and then on the left filter by create date and then under Options -> Export all in view. Make sure you include the Email field and then just choose the other fields that are in upper case.

Open your Spreadsheet and just follow these directions: https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/Change-the-case-of-text-01481046-0fa7-4f3b-a693-496795a7a44...

Then just save as .csv and re-upload. 

alexaude

Thank you very much!

alexaude

@shearn I made a new CSV file with my contacts in lower case, and I am about to upload them again but some of them do not have email addresses and it says it won't be deduped if it doesn't have an email...so does that mean I will have repeats in my CRM if I upload it?

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 4.35.13 PM.png

shearn
Key Advisor

@alexaude Because the email field is the unique identifier for contacts, a new contact will be created if you do not have an email associated with them. So yes, you will have repeats in your CRM if you upload.

alexaude

@shearn Okay, thank you. Would you recommend I delete all the contacts that I uploaded on that day and then reupload the CSV file with the lowercase versions?

shearn
Key Advisor

If they have no email address, I would recommend trying to find one first before doing anything. Without an email, they shouldn't have any historical data that will be useful to you. If you want to delete them and re-upload just for consistency in your database then there shouldn't be any issues doing so. 

alexaude

@shearn Thank you very much for your help on this! I was able to update it successfully. I really appreciate the help. 

Sam_Alford
Member | Diamond Partner

I’m excited to advise that I’ve created a custom workflow action that corrects the case of names submitted in forms. It changes FIRSTNAME LASTNAME, firstname lastname and fiRstname lastName (in other words any case submitted) to Firstname Lastname. Just create a workflow that triggers when any form is submitted and add the action. Simple. Best of all it’s FREE! You can get it here.

bradyujm
Member | Diamond Partner

Hi Sam, your link is no longer working. If you still have this workflow would you mind sharing again? Thanks!

Sam_Alford
Member | Diamond Partner

Whoops, sorry @bradyujm! I've updated the link now so it should work. But if not, here's the direct link just in case 🙂 https://inboundaddons.com/change-name-case/ Cheers, Sam 

bradyujm
Member | Diamond Partner

Thanks, Sam! Going to try it for a new client who recently added 2000 ALL CAPS contacts to their starter portal. Cheers! 

kkbockin
Participant

@Sam_Alford wondering why you need my HubID to download? I feel like with my name, company name, email, HubID and cell number you have enough info to call into HubSpot support and make account changes.

Sam_Alford
Member | Diamond Partner

Hi @kkbockin ,

that's a great question. In order to add the Custom Workflow Action to your workflows which triggers the fix of the names when a form is submitted with all uppercase or all lowercase names we need to know which HubSpot application to add it to. We do that through the HubID. We then need to connect HubSpot and our add-on so they can talk to each other so you need to authorise the connection (and authorise our add-on to change your contact data). Otherwise we have no way of changing it. We use OAuth2 to securely manage the connections and that also needs your HubID to know which application to authorise.

Regarding your contact details eg. phone and email, I need those so that if anything goes wrong with the sign up or you need assistance with working out how to use it I can contact you.

In relation to being able to change your account information through HubSpot support, I wouldn't be able to do that unless a) you give me a login to your account and b) you give me permissions through the Users and Teams permissions in HubSpot for that login to make changes. Incidentally it is often the case that I do have a login to add-on accounts but that is only for the purpose of support. FYI I have been a trusted HubSpot certified partner for a number of years and wouldn't maintain that status if I abused any privileges. 

I hope that clarifies why I request the details. Perhaps I should make that clearer on the form so that others who wonder the same thing won't be concerned. Feel free to contact me directly at samantha@inboundaddons.com if you have any other questions or would feel better to jump on a call. I'm in Australia so if there are any time delays in my response it could be due to time zone differences.

Cheers,

Sam

austinpostler
Participant

Having a workflow, or some type of function, that allowed us to edit the case of the text would be greatly helpful.  The most common example for us is names.  Many of our inbound leads that come through site forms lack proper punctation.  I know this is on the lead themselves to properly capitalize their names, however, as an institution we feel it's important to make sure each email going to our leads is properly capitalized.  We currently take a few moments with each lead to manually correct this in  Hubspot, however, it would be nice if this happened automatically.

Dave_
Contributor

There a couple of ways this could be done, the manual way via import and exports as described above, and this is a method I have used myself.

But the easier way, via an integration maintaining all future edits and additions:
https://ecosystem.hubspot.com/marketplace/apps/marketing/data-management/capitalize-204014

Disclaimer: I am the author of the above integration, and it is paid (though I've done my absolute best to keep it affordable). But it was very much built to help us internally avoid having to do repeated manual export imports across a number of our accounts.

evilc79

Hey Samantha. Awesome lil tool you've developed. We need to give access/permissions to your workflow addon which allows it to rewrite contact data.

In terms of security, would someone be able to use a vulnerability in your tool to access form data on my side?

If so, would you have a paid version, I can just code into my own Hubspot account instead of using it as an integration?

Update: Just tested it, does not seem to work. It executed the action, but the first name - "nameTest" remained the same.

Sam_Alford
Member | Diamond Partner

@evilc79 In relation to nameTest not working, the integration works for all lower case and all upper case name inputs, not camel case as I realised that names like McDonald were edited incorrectly for camel case and there were surprisingly too many actual surnames that use camel case to factor them all in. Also, I found that the vast majority of people either accidentally had caps lock on and entered all upper case, or were lazy and just entered all lower case so it fixes the vast majority of the incorrect case issues.

In relation to security, I guess if someone can hack into defense, banking and government systems then it's possible that they can hack into mine (or any integration for that matter). That said I have coded it as best I can to be secure however there's always a risk with any integration so you should be aware of that and decide for yourself whether you're comfortable with it.

In relation to providing you with the code, no I don't provide my code for a fee, and in any case if you were using my code it wouldn't remove the risk as it would be the same code with the same potential risks.

I note that there is also now a paid version written by someone else in the post above yours so feel free to disconnect mine and try theirs if you'd like. I only wrote this to serve a need in the community that wasn't being met to help people that were frustrated like I was with emails and text messages going out with incorrect name case.  If you'd like to continue using my tool, that's fine too, happy to help 🙂

paytek_haley
Participant

It would be useful to have required formatting or casing on properties in HubSpot. Ex: Company Name properties could be required Proper Case, names Proper Case, deal names UPPER, things like that, based on the user's needs.

This is just general data hygeine, and makes it much easier to keep consistency, rather than going through the process of exporting and cleaning data.

kholmes

Surprised not to see this...decreases conversion rate of leads by making any automations where you merge a lower case first name in your email/sms/etc. very clearly automations.  By contrast, Salesforce.com has this capability to force Proper Case...

MBAdBadger

Upvoted!

It would be very helpful for HubSpot to edit these fields to Proper Case. Please implement this 🙏