HubSpot Ideas

alivia

Attaching Offline contacts to a campaign

Hey,

We need to be able to attach contacts we upload to a campaign in Hubspot.

Let's face it, not many companies are 100% online, we all go to events and attend conferences where we get contacts, or even do hosted paid and are given lists of contacts (who have downloaded our content, not outbound).

Salesforce allows us to attach contacts to a campaign with a workflow, could be an idea.

It would also be useful to be able to attach contacts to a campaign for "deal source" purposes > when we send an MQL to an SDR, they get in touch, and the person forwards them to someone else in th company, so we can also attach that person to the source campaign!

Because I don't have this posisbility, I have created a set of altnerate custom sources to track my marketing activities ROI and it is not fun.

Please find a way of doing this!

Cheers,

Alivia

154 Replies
Jmcdade
Participant

I've been told as a work around to create a list, add that list to a workflow (doesn't need to contain any actions) and then assign the workflow to the campaign. It's not the best method, but it can help a bit!

tjordan

ARGGHH This is a great workaround, but I don't have workflows because we aren't in the Professional account. 😞 

Could there be another workaround for people who don't have workflows?

Jmcdade
Participant

You may be able to add the contacts through a landing page associated to the campaign? Basically anything that you can associate to the campaign may work, or if you were sending a follow-up email you could associate that too.

mark-franken
Participant

It actually isn't a great workaround... This workflow idea will show that a contact was influenced by a campaign, but you still have no way to change the first touch converting campaign field. 

Jmcdade
Participant

Agreed - it's definitely not the best. Maybe creating a static list, then running a report based on those who are on the list might work?

In the end, we really just need Hubspot to make attaching offline contacts reality...

alyssacarter
Contributor

The problem with using workflows is it doesn’t attribute the contacts as new contacts from the campaign since they’re already in the system. But this is the best method /workaround to at least get some data until HubSpot fixes this!

mark-franken
Participant

I'm at Inbound this week and heard the GM of the Marketing Hub talk and I asked about this issue. HubSpot will be rolling out multi-touch attribution and reporting first and then will be doing more updates on the campaign tool, that will include offline campaigns. He wouldn't comment on timing, except saying that a year from now, I should be happy.  Smiley Frustrated

annieseattle
Contributor

Yes, this would be hugely beneficial to our company as well.  We don't normally exhibit at tradeshows/conferences, but our team networks and meets new people at many industry and thought leadership events.  If they use the Hubspot ios app, the contact gets added, but the source information is very general and doesn't allow us to automatically track ROI/effectiveness of attending/sponsoring certain events.  

Our workaround is to have folks use Camcard (free) and send a manual excel download, do a vlookup with contact ids, then we create a campaign and upload the contacts to Hubspot using that campaign .  It's not ideal though, becuase it's very manual and time-consuming when it really doesn't have to be.  If the Hubspot IOS would add a simple additional field that you could write a note in or select a campaign code, that would be great.

Even better, it could show only campaign codes that were active and the sales reps could have a short list of campaigsn to choose from that are active or just for events).  That would be optimal and adoption would be higher.

Thanks!

averys

Yes, we need this! I have such an issue because Salesforce enables this so easily but I can't match it to my contacts in Hubspot

mark-franken
Participant

@alivia  Woukd you be able to share more about the web app you created? I'm at mark.franken@foghorn.io

pweston3
HubSpot Employee

We've been closely following your feedback on this thread, and we heard you. We're excited to let you know that it is now possible to associate lists with HubSpot campaigns. Have a list of contacts from a recent tradeshow? Upload them to HubSpot and add that list to a campaign. 

To get started with added lists to campaigns, navigate to any new or existing HubSpot campaign. From here, click "Add Assets" at the top right and you'll see "Static Lists" as an option. You can select up to 5 static lists to add to the campaign. Note that a list can be added to multiple campaigns.

After a minute, you'll see your Influenced Contacts and Influenced Deals metrics update to reflect the contacts from your attached lists. Any Closed Won deal in HubSpot that has one of the new contacts associated will roll up into your Influenced Deals and Influenced Revenue metrics. Also note that HubSpot will automatically de-duplicate contacts that may appear in multiple lists you've attached to a particular campaign.

Please continue to leave us feedback on the HubSpot Community, it positively influences the product development process, and we hope it positively impacts your experience as well.

mark-franken
Participant

@pweston3 It's nice to see some progress on this, but it sounds like these contacts will only show up as influenced contacts? We really need support for these offline contacts to show as New Contacts for campaigns when they are net new to the system. Please let me know if I'm reading your response incorrectly.

aericks2
Member | Platinum Partner

@pweston3 - Thanks for letting us know about this new feature.  I just led the SF Bay HUG and it was voiced by many that this is a huge issue for them.  And we have heard the same from many of our agency clients as well.

The problem is that this solution does almost no good as it's built, since it only adds to "influenced" revenue.  Most people have figured out work arounds to this already by adding event attendees to a meaningless workflow or other similar measures to achieve this.

We need to be able to add uploaded contact lists as a first touch - that would defintely achieve what everyone's looking for.  Events are HUGE expenses for most of the companies we work with and knowing how much First Touch revenue they influenced would be really really helpful in understanding attribution and making decisions on future event sponsorships. 

Can you advise if this is in the roadmap? 

kbjornaas
Contributor

HALLELUJAH! THIS IS RELEASED! 

BUT! It limits you to only 5 STATIC lists. What in the actual heck, HubSpot? 

pweston3
HubSpot Employee

Really appreciate the feedback.

It's true that for now contacts added via a list will show as influenced contacts and revenue. This is the first step towards a cleaner way of associating contacts to campaigns. The issue that @mark-franken and @aericks2  is describing is on our roadmap. And, as Revenue Attribution gets built out further in Marketing Hub Enterprise, we plan on delivering even more robust multi-touch attribution that includes offline and custom interactions. 

@kbjornaas We hear you 🙂 This is a system limitation we're working with at this time. While we work on performance & infrastructure improvements, I'm interested to know how you plan on using lists with campaigns. How often would your campaigns need more than 5 lists? What's the use case? I'd love to pass any examples along to the team. 

kbjornaas
Contributor

@pweston3 thanks for the response. My most immediate need is around a series of events we are sponsoring. We have a significant contract that we need to track success against which we are using under a single campaign. We aren't doing the outreach/promotion so there aren't a lot of other assets to track. 

I can see many instances where we would group smaller campaigns in this way and would call for multiple lists. Such as running offline content syndication campaigns to a single asset/offer and are delivered in batches. Or just an event sposnosrship with multiple engagement opportunities (booth visit, happy hour attendance, session attendance etc) 

KatjaHinrichsen

I agree. It would really be good if I could upload lists and associate the contacts with a campaign. 

Jmcdade
Participant

@KatjaHinrichsenyou can now do that, just go to your campaign, select add assets and you'll see static lists there now 🙂

mark-franken
Participant

@Jmcdade It is important to remember this list support only allows contacts to be "influenced" by a campaign. A list will not properly capture them as new contacts to a campaign yet.

Jmcdade
Participant

@mark-franken  agreed 🙂