HubSpot Ideas

KJLUNDE

Associated Company and Company Name

Why is the "Company Name" field in a Contact just a text box that doesn't link to the actual Company in Hubspot?  The "Associated Company" field will link to the actual Company in Hubspot but the "Company Name" field won't.  Why isn't "Associated Company," an actual field in Contacts that can be edited and added to the Contact's list on the left side of the screen?  In general, it's odd that there are two different fields for the name of a company ("Company Name" and "Associated Company"). 

It would be great to see a single "Company Name" field function similar to SalesForce. There's one field "Company Name," that's entered when creating a Company and when creating a Contact (same field on both the Company and Contact pages), that field links the Company and Contact.  From there they have an additional field in the Company's page that allows you to enter an "Associated Firm" field name if you want to link the company to another firm (like subsidiaries, etc).

21 Replies
JWells6

When selecting "Add+" a Contact within a given Company, it would make total sense that the Company field would be auto-filled with the respective Company name. Currently it requires you to re-type the Company name. Seems like a simple fix to help streamline. Thank you!

RPuliyamkalam
Participant

Yes I agree, it would really help in streamlining the process while adding a contact!

TMajor

Totally agree. I can't figure out the best way to use both these fields and their relationship. 

Moocow4556
Participant

I can't upvote this enough. So annoying.

MZimo
Contributor

Yes. This is the source of some confusion for our organization!

MariZanchetta
Contributor

Agree. Having to review 2 fields with the same type of information instead of one is just doubling my work and doesn't make sense. Hubspot needs to streamline this.

Franklandsam
Participant

Yes please! I am sure there is some logical explanation for why it was originally done this way, but surely moving forward this can be improved. Just make one field for the company name. 

- I would think you will need to make it a read only, and if a contact is NOT associated with any company records then it would simply be blank. I think it makes sense to then force (prompt) the user to add a company record to the contact to "populate" it. Or even better, allow users to type in a Name (without creating a company) but make it easy to +company record from this field if required. 

BenMalka

How can I create automation to copy associated company to company name field? does anyone know?

JWard3

I agree with this. I even tried creating a workflow to assign the Company name to the company property, but it's not working.  I understand some companies may need an extra company field, but there should at least be a way to tie these two fields together for those clients that don't. 

olimottola
Contributor

100% It doesnt make any sense to have two separate. I JWard3 tried to create a workflow to copy the Associated Company name to the Company name but I can't leverage the Associated Company name in workflows...

TZiesing
Contributor

Hast this issue been solved? would be helpful! We would nee

BenMalka
Not at the moment
NeumannShopgate

May i Buy 1.000 Upvotes for this? what a **bleep** process, really... anyone from hubspot giving/given feedback on this? 

kacevedo
HubSpot Employee

Hi All, 

HubSpot employee here. I've had a couple of customers who have also expressed frustrations about this exact issue. The context here is that "Primary Associated Company" is not a property but rather an association which is why it can't be sorted/filtered through easily. However, there is a workaround via a workflow to make sure you never have this issue again (as long as the primary associated company is known). See the steps or the screenshot below for the step-by-step. 

1. Start by creating a contact-based workflow from scratch. 
  2. Enrollment Trigger = Primary Associated Company is known
  3. Action = Copy company property value
    • Source company property = Company Name
    • Target Property Type = Contact
    • Target Property = Company Name
  4. Review and Publish
  5. Select "Yes, enroll existing contacts who meet the trigger criteria as of now"
  6. Turn On
  7. *celebratory dance*

P.S. You'll want to make sure HubSpot Insights is not disabled so that this information is available. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 4.19.23 PM.png

Happy automating!

Franklandsam
Participant
Thanks! Just set this up in 2 mins with your instructions and it has fixed my 6471 contacts with bad data! Awesome.
NeumannShopgate

@kacevedo Thank you, you made my day, week and most of the month! 😄 

HansEric

I'm trying to understand what "Associated Company" even means in this context. Why is this different than just "Company Name"?  Feel like I'm missing some background on the two fields and/or their purposes. @kacevedo do you happen to know? Or anyone for that matter. 🙂

Mink_Webs
Participant | Elite Partner

@HansEric 
"The context here is that "Primary Associated Company" is not a property but rather an association which is why it can't be sorted/filtered through easily"

The Company name is something you can edit, filter etc. It's just a name sort of say.
The associated company is the actual company record in Hubspot. So if you associate the company to a contact, you will see the company top right on a contact record. You know that the contact is associated to that company. 
This is also possible for Contacts->Deals , Company->Deals  and all other Objects in Hubspot you set up

JOpie
Top Contributor

I, too, have wondered why this is. The problem with the workflow above - as well as a company workflow that does the same basic thing - is that you cannot use the enrolment criteria for re-enrolment. Hence this works once, but not if contacts are added to the company after it has been run. 😞

JOpie_0-1677591773707.png

This is super annoying, as you think you have the issue under control and then find out that thousands of new contacts are missing the data. I now have a task every three days to run the workflow off a list that captures who is missing this information.

I'm no database expert, but this sounds like a simple external join to me. 

RTjalsma

@JOpie, there's a simple solution for this. I prefer using Lists to trigger workflows. It gives more freedom and can provide analytics insights on top of the workflow data.

See below for how I fixed this for almost 20k contacts in our system and at the same time ensure that it triggers everytime a new contact is added to the system that is added to the list.

List

RTjalsma_0-1697786940718.png

Workflow

RTjalsma_1-1697786970695.png