HubSpot Ideas

eberkes

Archive Contact Lists

I would love the option to archive contact lists. Currently, we can only "clean up" by moving things into folders (we have about 20, and I don't use them because searching is faster).

If it were up to me, I would delete lists we are not using, but I understand the importance of being able to access the lists on old emails if needed. Therefore, I would like the archive option to hide the lists from views (in the Lists tab and when selecting lists for email sends) but leave them accessible and restorable from a second tab under the Lists section.

This would make it much easier for me to find what I need when my coworkers create "new and improved" lists. They can archive the old stuff, and I wouldn't have to sift through 10 lists with almost the same title, wondering which one is correct—or worse, ask. Smiley Wink

On top of that, I'm thinking this archive thing could solve the secondary issue I have with deleting lists: workflows that run based on lists, and smart lists built on other lists.

22 Replies
AshleiValles
Participant

This is a major issue for us as well and would love to see this feature implemented. I previously used Pardot at another at another company and where that tool has many faults, the list archive feature was one I really liked. 

Hollyl

agreed - need to be able to archive lists 

cmaestephens

Even if I could just turn off active lists so that no new contacts are added once I no longer need that list, it would be helpful. Every time I add a new contact, they are getting added to lists that are completely irrelevant & keeping those things cleaned up has become a chore.

lvalladares
Participant

Agree as well.   It would be so nice to archive lists to clean up the main list page. 

irsteve90
Member | Partner

I was distraught to find out that this wasn't even a thing already. Having this functionality would help a lot in the annoying mundane task of sieving through unwanted lists items. Definitely a must in my books.

mbrown
Contributor | Platinum Partner

This would be a great idea to be able to archive lists. 

H-Rob
Participant

I wholeheartedly agree! I created my own Archive folder, moved lists into it and now don't want to see those lists in my main Contact List view, but there's no way to "hide" a folder as the default view. Please add this! The original request was 2 1/2 years ago and would really go a long way in helping to organize our marketing lists and maintaining our sanity. 

jwiedenheft
Contributor

This would be great. While searching for the list you need is very easy, there's no point in having visible or accessible lists that are no longer used.

mkarsten
Top Contributor

We have around 600 lists, so even searching gives a lot of results to sift through. I'm looking at consolidating some lists, for instance conference lists from multiple years, to help use them more efficiently. I'm just now researching how deleting the original lists will affect the email records for campaigns. So far, sounds like an archive option would be great. As long as it didn't include those lists in search results.

Msyvrais
Key Advisor

I agree being able to archive the list and turn off an active list so that new contacts dont end up with 1000000 lists in their membership when it no longer applies.

We create active lists for email sends because we prepare them in advance to the send and its important that someone gets added if they are new, but once the message is sent we can't turn it to static unless we do 500 clicks and it's not scaleable so we end up with hundred of lists to which 50% are not being used but we dont want to delete them because it's important to know who was sent what.

cfleish
Participant

I thought this used to be a function. I'm frustrated it is not. 

ericacowan
Contributor

Agree - need this functionality. Want to be able to see the segmentation criteria used for individual emails, but want to be able to archive the lists to clean up and reduce the opportunity for choosing an incorrect list based on a similar list name. 

tarnoldd
HubSpot Employee

Hey team right now we have the "Unused list" feature but not a way for users to choose what lists they can archive! Since some lists are being used by a lot of other tools, its easier to archive it manually than go through each list to remove the assets before deleting it.

Having an archive feature will give customers a lot more control over their lists especially as they grow and try to organise 100's of lists at a time!

danielle423
Member | Partner

Need to archive and/or deactivate lists. Don't want to delete as the history goes away.

Also, when a list is added to a folder, it should work like Workflows, in that the list is then accessed via the folder -- not saying in the main list.

lindahouben
Contributor | Elite Partner

Agree. It would be very usefull. The folders would only work if that is your standard view, but it's not. Please implement this idea! 

Kalvarado8
Participant

^ Would be super useful to clean up but not forget, a lot like the email archiving option. 

BukunmiOdetayo
Top Contributor | Partner

Hi,

I think there's been a couple of ideas like this one, with the first dated as far back as 2017. It would be fantastic for users to have a feature that allows us to archive lists we're currently not using but don't want to delete because the same lists have been used in the past for a number of activities like emails, workflows, sequences, etc.

I am working with a client whose process requires us to segment customers often, and because of this, we use lists a lot. But the space is getting congested, and we don't want to delete these lists as we may need to reference them later.

Jaycee_Lewis
Community Manager

Adding my upvote based on multiple customer requests for this feature

Would love to have this. The only way to clean up the lists is to use folders or delete them. I much rather be able to archive them.

Assoc-Sacto
Participant

Please add this feature!