HubSpot Ideas

Shaunyim

Approval option on deals

We would like to be able to set an approval so that a manager has to approve the move of a deal from a specific pipeline stage to the next. 

- Posted on behalf of a customer

HubSpot Updates
August 16, 2023 08:09 AM

Hello HubSpot community members!

My name is Vaishnavi and I'm a Product Designer at HubSpot. Nice to meet you😄.

Thank you for your feedback. We’re in the process of exploring this idea. To help us better understand your needs for setting up an approval process in your pipeline, could you please take this short survey ? Thank you!

18 Replies
csimmons

I agree, we need this functionality to. It would be great to set approvals on certain deal stages so a deal cannot move from one stage to the next without prior approval from a certain user 

LuciaDeNile
HubSpot Employee

This is an interesting idea. The way I would see it working is by restricting access to specific properties to users (as suggested in this post) .

If this were possible, we could restrict access to the Deal Stage property and set up a workflow to send a notification to a manager in order to approve the deal and then change the deal stage.

ETezenas

I really think this a good idea and would really help ensuring the processes are followed, and will improve information sharing on deal status. 

kals

Agree. We want our sales team to be able to set the stage when they create the initial deal but would prefer only the manager be able to change it after that. 

BCrookshanks

This is much needed. Would be happy help beta test  

sueroy_cerence

We need our deal approvals to be reportable, and directed to a set of specific approvers based on a variety of deal approval types.  We have approximately a dozen different deal approval types, and each one may require upwards of 3 levels of upper management approvals  before we can progress the deal to the next stage.  Example, one  approval type might need  the regional sales manager, CFO and CEO to approve it, whereas another type can be approved just by the regional sales manager.   We are managing this approval matrix and collection of approvals offline and via emails now.  It would be great to have this approval functionality built onto the deals.   We would like to be able to view each deal's specific approval history (time stamps, approvals, rejections, comments, supporting approval documentation), as well as have a means to report approval history across ALL DEALS (so we can provide details to external auditers).

AFreemerman
Participant

This functionality is a basic CRM feature, salesforce has it years ago, the workflow to set a  limited property is not even close. Hope HubSpot can have it soon. 

BKreutz
Participant | Elite Partner

I agree that this is needed. Making properties required is ok but lots of times the sales team puts in old values for deals and does not update them to the acutal signed contract values before moving to Closed Won which causes bad data in Hubspot. 

KMurota
Top Contributor

I just created an app for this. It's not published yet I haven't created an English version either(I am a partner in Japan) but do let me know if any of you guys are interested in using it I will personally keep you updated.

JKazarian
Contributor

You could add a Custom Property to the deal, make it required for a deal to progress to the next stage, and then limit who has the ability to edit that custom property based on the team that property is assigned to. Anyone can see the property but only those approved can edit it. You could also have a workflow to progress the deal to the next stage once approval is granted. 

JKazarian_0-1655340414666.png

PSimbulan
Participant

Hi JKazarian,

This is an interesting workaround to the problem. But it there a way to have the edits to the custom property set as 'pending' approval, so that admins can approve it?

JKazarian
Contributor

@PSimbulan 

Create one property for the deal owner to Request Approval. Once approval is requested, a 2nd property will be set to `Pending`. Only the Admin can update the value for the 2nd property. Once the admin updates the 2nd property to approved, you can have a workflow get triggered to move the deal to the next stage in the pipeline. 

Are you looking to approve progression through deal stages or approve quotes? 

New feature - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/quotes/approve-quotes

PSimbulan
Participant

@JKazarian 

Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand how this can work.

I'm looking to approve progression in deal stages. I've used the quotes approval feature before and I think it would be a great help to have it in deals as well.

K_Xavier
Participant

Yes, I need deal approval too. In my case, a deal should not be able to progress into the next stage without approval. 

It sounds like a basic feature. I can't believe it hasn't been implemented yet. 

VSureshKumar
HubSpot Product Team

Hello HubSpot community members!

My name is Vaishnavi and I'm a Product Designer at HubSpot. Nice to meet you😄.

Thank you for your feedback. We’re in the process of exploring this idea. To help us better understand your needs for setting up an approval process in your pipeline, could you please take this short survey ? Thank you!

OMutluer

Aloha! This is essential for sales processes. Why does Hubspot not have a kind of functionality? Needed! 

jphilbrook
Contributor | Partner

My client doesn't use the quoting option in HubSpot they have another system. The approval process on an order is critical to make sure all the information is attached and ready to move to the next stage. 

MLincoln

This is definetely a missing functionality. 

The work around above is interesting, however a formal and proper solution would be good.