HubSpot Ideas

achia

Future start date for Recurring Revenue reporting

Hi team, 

Currently, the recurring revenue analytics reporting uses the deal's close date as the start date for the recurring revenue (per this knowledge base article). However, deals are sometimes closed a few months before the billing/subscription starts and users would like to keep track of both the actual deal close date as well as specify a start date for the recurring revenue for accurate reporting (see this forum thread as well).

It would be fantastic if the start date for reporting could be indicated separately from the deal close date.

19 Replies
BMAiforia

This is very common for SAAS contracts, must have 

FoodNotify-DK

Definetely agree. Upvote! 

BlueVennMktg

As an enterpsie SaaS business we have Deals that can include a variety of recurring and one-off products within a deal, each that have different start dates for when revenue should start being realised. We currently track ARR outside of Hubspot by exporting the data and running calculations to derive the answers we need. 

The new ARR reporting is great, however we are unable to use it because the ARR for all the products within a deal are driven by the Deal Close Date field. This means that ARR calculations for products in the deal that need to start on different dates cannot work.

I wanted to therefore post an idead to start using the product start date fields t drive the ARR for each product instead of the deal 'Close Date' as this would add extra flexibility.

PATRICKHOSCH

could not agree more! essential as close date is not the start date - the start date of MRR/ARR should be the date on the line items! what's the purpose of that field if it is not really used?

LauraTucker

Yes agreed! We have often stepping stones so Yr 1 = £x, Yr =Y but it means the ARR figure is currently adding them together rather than seeing that the ARR is changing each year. 

WParkhurst

A suggestion would be to tie the Recurring Revenue start date to the line item start date.  As noted above, we close deals on a start date and client's subscription start date is often weeks later.

Scott21
Participant

Agreed, this is desperately needed. I talked to a potential client just today who is going to move away from HubSpot altogether because they can't keep maintaining the inefficient process of tracking and reporting on forecasted revenue outside of their CRM. They're currently not even using the Deals function in HubSpot because they have to use Excel anyway for an accurate picture of their projected revenue timeline.

MollUser1
Contributor

We also have this issue.

We track when our actual "Sell" starts with different personalized property and would be really helpful if we could also personlize the Revenue Analytics accordingly. By setting "Start Date" as "Specific personalized Date" would make it so much easier.

I also already submitted an idea.

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Dashboards-Reporting/Revenue-Analytics-other-Start-Date-than-Deal-C...

HubSpot please update this Report. Otherwise, it is not usable.

NReinhart

Being able to control the recurring revenue start date here is essential. The revenue analytics tool is pretty much useless without it. We just upgraded to Enterprise to get the Revenue Analytics tool, but I don't think we'll even use it because it is lacking this. Can't be that hard to add right?

MatthewBoyd
Contributor | Elite Partner

For anyone still monitoring this thread, at Hype & Dexter, we have created a micro-app that can be installed in any account with Sales-Pro or Above.

In essence, the app, which can be built into a workflow, will enable you to set a Date Property for a designated period of time AFTER another date property. E.g 1 Day, 1 Week, 1 Month, 1 Year or any combination of the above. 

This, combined with a couple of clever workflows, has enabled us to truly create a functioning Recurring Revenue Pipeline for ourselves, and we're starting to offer this to our clients and other HubSpot Community Members (posting as replies to people needing this type of feature). 

For the example given above, you'd be able to have your Close Date on the Deal, your Recurring Revenue Start Date on the Deal, and the app would format your Recurring Revenue Period End Date. This way I have used it to either just Report Month by Month for the Month ahead, OR report 12 months ahead from the Recurring Revenue Start Date, while being able to halt reporting 6 months in, if the company were to Churn. 

Because of this, we can ALSO report on Average Lifetime, Average Lifetime Value and given those metrics, what each churned Client means to your business - not to mention if your Sales Model is commission-based, help gauge the Revenue to Commission ratio your Sales Team are generating over a period of time.  

If this is of interest to anyone here you're more than welcome to Click here to schedule a Recurring Revenue Demo

jensonB

We also need to distinguish between closing date and start date of a contract. As a developer I don't understand why we can't simply connect the recurring revenue to a custom date field. Should not a big deal to add this and I am sure that this is relevant for a lot of your clients.

quentinexplain

must have ! 

TTruckenbrod

Absolutely necessary!
Please upvote this if you see this article.

Ed_Exemplify

The fact that this isn't native is appauling. Upvote to the max!

Caroline_S_Lane
Participant | Elite Partner

Definitely need this!

GregSamson

Running into issues with our deals starting a few months after close, and this would help out a lot in our MRR forecasting and reporting

adamjbly
Participant

Just adding to the voices asking for this to be native... 

FourJawOP

Why hasn't this been fixed yet... the recurring is so useless without it??!

willatdraftwise

Identical to this thread, I am requesting that "Billing Start Date" as captured in Line Items added on any deal can be reported on. I'm trying to display "Active ARR" on a Report and can currently only display "Sum of ARR from Deals with a Close Date within a Rolling 365 Days". This completely ignores multi-year guaranteed deals, deal duration extensions or deals that started their billing date at a later time from the signature date - that's a massive percentage of revenue and makes any ARR reporting using today's HubSpot tools totally worthless. I want to display "Sum of Line Item Revenue with a Billing Start Date within a Rolling 365 Days".