HubSpot Ideas

richardwalsh

Allow further formatting in rich text area columns in HubDB

I love the fact that you can use HubDB to dynamically create pages, and we've been using it to feed our various workshop pages.

What I would like to see, however, is when using the Rich Text column that we have the ability to format content more effectively. Right now, we can use simple formatting (like bold, italic, etc.) but we can't style with headings so no real way to provide proper content structuring.

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 9.46.13 PM.png

I likely could use multiple columns and build my template that way, but I'd rather just be able to use a single rich text area and pop whatever I want in there. A source editor button would be even more appealing to the more advanced user.

5 Replies
Hawk-Steve
Top Contributor

+1 Thumbs up from me

An advanced source editor would be the real winner here. It would be a great way to save on mile-long hubdb tables too (due to all the columns needed for each individual element)

kaburke
HubSpot Employee

I have been advised by Product that there is currently no plan to include source code editing because that presents an avenue for introducing HTML markup incompatible with the HubDB backend storing of Rich Text content.  This is something that may be explored in the future.

mIIwaukee
Contributor | Diamond Partner

+1 on being able to edit the source or at least a way to view the source instead of just blocks. There must be an inbound cut-and-paste filter that strips incompattible markup, instead why not put that control "on submit" to prevent saving incompatible markup.

EPerreault

I understand allowing us to edit the source might have compatability issues...  but if we at least had the ability to add class names or IDs to the block elements, this would allow us more content formatting options through CSS.

JohnLaprairie
Participant | Gold Partner

I agree that a little more control of the formatting would be welcome.

At least if able to add a class to a block.

The workaround right now for simple content is to the Inset Embed option.

JohnLaprairie_1-1664429062804.png

add div with class into embed popup

<div class="bluebgnd">Hi</div>

Results:

JohnLaprairie_0-1664428982540.png

Further editing gets complicated especially if a person does not recall that it is an embedded item