HubSpot Ideas

lilybond

Allow advanced filter logic with parentheses for lists and workflows

We often have very advanced filters for lists and workflows, and it is cumbersome to continuously clone to create every possible "or" statement.

Instead, it would be helpful if we could use logic like "1 and (2 or (3 and 4)) and (5 or 6)" to build lists and workflows. This is how it's done in Marketo and Salesforce and it is much more sustainable. That logic statement would be a nightmare to build out in HubSpot.

Ex:

Has visited a key web page

AND

has a score of 25 OR both a behavior score of 10 AND a demographic score of 10

AND

has no recent activity OR has no account exec assigned

HubSpot Updates
December 08, 2022 11:16 AM

Hi everyone! My name is Alexa and I am a Product Manager at Hubspot. 

As an FYI, the research study that was mentioned here is now closed. Our team is currently planning the work to add in OR filtering within groups, which would allow you to arrive at similar logic as was surfaced in the original idea post. 

That said, we appreciate the continued feedback for the advanced filter logic (or parentheses style filtering).

Thank you!

September 28, 2022 08:56 AM

Hello again, everyone. Hope you're all having a great week!

Just a quick update that we are still looking for participants for the above research. If you're interested, please sign-up using this Google Form. If you qualify, I'll be emailing you to schedule a time to talk next week.

If you've already submitted this form:

Please check your email for a message with the subject "Schedule a HubSpot Research Session" and pick a time! We're looking forward to sharing this prototype with you and gathering your feedback.

If you submitted the form and haven't received an email to schedule a research session:

First, make sure that your HubSpot email preferences are set to allow one-on-one emails. If you're unsubscribed from these emails, then we can't email you to set up a session.

If your email subscription settings do allow these emails, then you may not have qualified for this research. There are specific legal restrictions on how we can recruit for research, and sometimes that means we can't speak with you for a specific study. But thank you for volunteering, and keep an ear out. We're always testing new functionality and welcome your feedback in the future!

Thanks all. Looking forward to hearing from you!

September 21, 2022 07:33 AM

Hi everyone. My name is Kyle and I'm a Product Designer at HubSpot. Nice to meet you!

Some good news: we're aiming to add some new functionality that will allow use of OR logic within groups of filters. While this is not an equation-style advanced filtering experience, it should allow you all to get the results you need in Lists, Views, and more.

Would any of you be interested in participating in a paid research study? In order to ensure that this functionality is effective and easy-to-use, we need to test it with you, our users. That will help us understand how well it works and meets your expectations.

Session details:

• Participants will be paid upon completion of the session
  • Session will require no more than one hour of your time
  • Session will consist of a Zoom call where you'll complete tasks using a prototype of this new functionality
  • You'll be asked to provide honest feedback as you go

Interested? Please sign up using this Google Form. If you qualify, we'll reach out to set up a time to talk.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to talking to you.

27 Replies
DavidT

Agreed. I need to modify a simple workflow that is

A and B and C

to

A and B and (C or D or E)

but there doesn't seem to be a way. It looks like all I can do is

(A and B and C) or (A and B and D) or (A and B and E)

Which is very bulky and inefficient.

azalaquett
Contributor

Yes! 100% agreed. I would kindly request the ability to write out the logic with parentheses and AND, OR logic, similar to how other platforms like SFDC allow you to! 

theScott
Top Contributor

I agree. This is a desperate need. The entire point of using personas is to be able to segement your audience using very specific sets of criteria in order to deliver a highly personalized message. This is currently impossible to achieve in the HubSpot platform without it being significantly cumbersome. I intentionally keep smart list filters way more simplistic than I'd like becuase that's the only way to really make sense of what each list is trying to accomplish and to avoid unintended consequences.

larrymock

Yes, this is a big pain in the A. Why has'nt someone from HubSpot chimed in ? all they would have to do is allow Logical groupings with parentheses. 

mike-ward
Key Advisor

I also agree. This would be incredibly useful!

Aseemgupta
Member | Platinum Partner

I would suggest using lists for each bracket which contains similar operators . 

AM8
Top Contributor

I also agree.

placer

Don't understand how I'm force to choose criteria A, B, C, D, E, F, and also G, but sometimes the value for G is blank, so I'm force to create criter where A, B, C, D, E, F are TRUE OR A, B, C, D, E, F are TRUE AND G is True.

Something so basic...any developer should understand the need for bolean logic instead of forcing us into a simple OR ( AND( nest as they have done 

cjcooper1983
Participant

I had a call with support around a workflow issue and they said "wow you have a lot of triggers" I replied saying because you don't have decent and/or logic and the response I got was "fair enough". 

Can't stress enough how important this is. Going from systems that had this ability it's been frustrating to deal with.

helenasolsona
Contributor

Yes, it's unbelievable that such a basic and necessary feature does not exist yet. The triggers look overwhelming like this, and it's a lot more work to do it this way.

I think this should be prioritised, they have other features that are nice but a lot less essential.

ATucker
Participant

Just want to add visibility to this request. 

As a new HubSpot user with experince in Pardot, and Marketo, I am VERY suprised that such simple functionality doesn't exist in HubSpot.  We're going to be scaling up segmentation and work flows and I now see that with HubSpot it's going to be way more work than I was expecting. At some point I'm going to have to make a reccomendation to my Director about whether to keep HubSpot or move to a more robust tool as we grow...and seeing something like this lacking is very concerning for me.

MBeran6
Contributor

New Hubspot user here and I'm shocked by this logic limitation. I shouldn't have go around creating lists to support basic audience logic. 

Vivre
Participant

After using Marketo for many years.... I am crying that we cant do advanced logic 😭

CWilson86

I've used Salesforce in the past and it has this feature. Its a shame because segmenting persona is a fundamental element of 'marketing'; and HubSpot prides itself as the marketing CRM.

ROKelly0

Concerning its been 3 years since the origin of this post and no response from HS. Also, I do know they are upgrading their system that powers list logic and segmentation but not certain if this will include advance filters that's much needed.

RGrant4
Participant

This is standard functionality in other MAP and CRM products. Must have for advanced users in Hubspot.

ALister5
Participant

Great point. Not being able to run AND OR options in the same list makes it messy. Would be useful to have the lists interchangeable like this. 

KWhelan
Contributor

I 100% agree that this is needed and a huge feature gap

Designer-Kyle
HubSpot Product Team

Hi everyone. My name is Kyle and I'm a Product Designer at HubSpot. Nice to meet you!

Some good news: we're aiming to add some new functionality that will allow use of OR logic within groups of filters. While this is not an equation-style advanced filtering experience, it should allow you all to get the results you need in Lists, Views, and more.

Would any of you be interested in participating in a paid research study? In order to ensure that this functionality is effective and easy-to-use, we need to test it with you, our users. That will help us understand how well it works and meets your expectations.

Session details:

• Participants will be paid upon completion of the session
  • Session will require no more than one hour of your time
  • Session will consist of a Zoom call where you'll complete tasks using a prototype of this new functionality
  • You'll be asked to provide honest feedback as you go

Interested? Please sign up using this Google Form. If you qualify, we'll reach out to set up a time to talk.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to talking to you.

Designer-Kyle
HubSpot Product Team

Hello again, everyone. Hope you're all having a great week!

Just a quick update that we are still looking for participants for the above research. If you're interested, please sign-up using this Google Form. If you qualify, I'll be emailing you to schedule a time to talk next week.

If you've already submitted this form:

Please check your email for a message with the subject "Schedule a HubSpot Research Session" and pick a time! We're looking forward to sharing this prototype with you and gathering your feedback.

If you submitted the form and haven't received an email to schedule a research session:

First, make sure that your HubSpot email preferences are set to allow one-on-one emails. If you're unsubscribed from these emails, then we can't email you to set up a session.

If your email subscription settings do allow these emails, then you may not have qualified for this research. There are specific legal restrictions on how we can recruit for research, and sometimes that means we can't speak with you for a specific study. But thank you for volunteering, and keep an ear out. We're always testing new functionality and welcome your feedback in the future!

Thanks all. Looking forward to hearing from you!