HubSpot Ideas

krispag

Allow admins to edit user names

It is inconceivable to me that super admins cannot edit user first and last names on the user administration screen. Users often use all lower or all upper case characters, or they make typos. Rather than having to reach out to walk them through editing their first last name, Admins should be allowed to do this, in addition to modifying their user photo. This simply streamlines the support process. This would be a very easy change to implement and would be greatly appreciated.

18 Replies
Briscoe

We have users with all upper and lower case characters for their first/last name and also mispelled names. I spent half hour trying to find a way to edit the names only to find out only the user can. This should be an easy fix/persmission granted to super admins. 

adodge
HubSpot Employee

This is neccessary to keep workers focused on work and allow Admins to make changes without relying on other. 

Luke4
Participant

Yes, completely agree. Admin should be able to change the display name of any user.

nazanian

Totally agree, this is a functionality that would help admins to manage properly how the users write their names and surnames. In my case, we use the name to put in the first place the acronym of the team he/she belongs.

TPiotrowski
Participant

Still a bit crazy to me that this isn't a function haha but really hoping they add this soon. Not being able to add names messes up any sort of reporting where someone hasn't fixed this on their own.

JPVerheuvel

Completely agree with this. To be a super admin but not able to make edits to a username or user's email address is crazy.

SSmithBEP
Contributor

This is key to allow the setup of a new system and linking deals, companies and people to the User Name instead of an email prior to inviting the users.

LMiller86

It's shocking that in the 2 years since this post was first added that HubSpot has done nothing to grant these permissions to Super Admins. Instead of being able to go in and edit usernames quickly myself - so that our reports can be uniform and clean - I have to chase people down and ask them multiple times to update on their own. Our Sales team is great and we want them to focus on selling, not administrative tasks, and I often catch them when they don't have time to update and then they forget - which is understandable since this shouldn't be and isn't a priority to them. Should be a simple fix for HubSpot, and actually makes me miss Salesforce.

JOakley
Contributor

Can we get some movement on this please? I'm getting pretty sick of chasing staff to do a task I should be able to action for them in 30 seconds.  Thanks!

paigeleslie
Contributor

This is an entirely necessary function. Please consider adding the permission to change other users' names to Super Admins.

maddyp

I don't understand why this doesn't have more upvotes.

M_Bigalke
Member | Elite Partner

This is a must for any HubSpot Administrator! A key part of a data migration if you need to make user fixes. 

TAdmin7
Participant

Just wanted to pitch in with my two cents.

Not being able to change this as a global admin is a real hinderance for propper company support.

Would love to know if this can be implemented.

andrearosamille

I was shocked to find that as a super admin, I cannot edit a user name. It seems so simple to add this feature. Please, HubSpot, add this feature ASAP for admins. 

jsg121
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @krispag and everyone who left feedback here! I'm happy to announce that the ability for Admins to edit a user's first and last name is now possible via a new User record. You can join the beta for this feature in your HubSpot account > Product updates > Betas. We'll be adding additional functionality for Admins here over the coming months, including the ability to edit a user's profile picture.

If there is anything else that you would like to see in this space, feel free to comment here or send me a message!

nwcarlson

Ideally, if this could be modified via an API endpoint, that would be even better. For instance, most companies would have an HRIS system with preferred name, capitalization, etc. Syncing those fields with a central point of truth would be even better. Then, in theory, no maintenance from user OR admin is necessary.

jsg121
HubSpot Product Team

Thanks @nwcarlson, API support for the user data in the plans for the future! We do have a user provisioning public API today which won't help you with everything that you're looking to do, but might help with some of your needs.

jsg121
HubSpot Product Team