HubSpot Ideas

yvonnekloiber

Alias for Live Chat

I wish there the opportunity to show a different name in the live chat profile than the user name. For privacy reasons I don't want every website visitor to see my full name and would prefer using an alias or to show only the first name.

This is very essential to protect support employees and make sure unknown website visitors don't interfere with the privacy of them.

HubSpot Updates
June 02, 2020 05:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback! We are currently considering this feature and will provide an update once we have one in a few months. Thank you!

38 Replies
EllaAndOllie

We've created a new name/avatar for our chatbot and we would like the conversation to continue under the same name even when it is handed off to a live person. Explosing real names to chat users is a privacy concern for employees and we'd prefer not to expose that information to people on the website. Furthermore it detracts from the user experience for them to see a name switch in case multiple people are responding.

Change

Its definitely a basic Feature which should be there from the beginning.

Hope it gets real soon.

CGuo

Agreed. We definitely need the ability to add an alias for emails as well. Hubspot, please let us know when this is updated!

JFredman

I think this is important from a privacy stand point-- can you please expedite?

ryan415

Any update here HS team?

Bruno_Teixeira
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

This feature is really needed.

El_Gallo
Participant

Any update on this? Seems like quite a few people, including HS, agree that this should be an option.

DDigidosson
Member | Gold Partner

This should be a default feature, and I should have to choose if I wanted to display the names of users repling in the Live Chat after chat bot.

Sarah116

Hubspot please work on this idea - it's needed for safeguarding our team members, and frankly I'm shocked and disappointed you don't already allow it...

RLong8
HubSpot Employee

Hey all! It looks like we've recently added this as a feature -- see below 🙂 

• Click to expand the Choose chat avatar section, then click the Chat heading dropdown menu and select the name and avatar to appear on the chat widget.
    • Custom branding: display a generic team name and image.
      • Click the plus icon add to upload an image or GIF, and enter the name to display.
      • To apply the custom branding throughout the entire chat conversation instead of the user's name and avatar, select the Use custom branding throughout the conversation as an alias for agents checkbox. Custom branding will also appear in the chat transcript.

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/chatflows/create-a-live-chat#3-display-customize-the-live-chat-s-appea....

finn
Top Contributor

@RLong8 

with all due respect, that is not the (entire) solution. The solution, that we have been asking for during more than 4 years is to have an avatar for individual chat users. It is a huge privacy issue and rather disappointing that it is not available...

CoenTAJ

Hi Hubspot! Can we get an update on this one? 

Willirob
Participant | Diamond Partner

Though this is possible to do for a live agent chatflow, it is not possible to do if you're first using a bot then transfer to a live agent. Upon transfer to live agent after a bot collects basic informatipon, the agents name/profile picture is displayed and there's no options to change this. 

MV2023

Shocked this still isn't a feature. Major privacy concerns with a large number of security issues these days. Disappointed this functionality isn't an option after 5 years of requests. 

YashD7
Participant

Surprised that there's still no update to this after years of people requesting it. Sorely needed feature.

Otterbot
Contributor

100% second this idea. Being able to set a display name for Bot-to-Live Chat is needed to protect our employees from potential harassment. We are a small but visible company, with employees that have marginalized identities that make them vulnerable to targeting by bad actors. For the safety and privacy of our service employees, we very very much would like this feature implemented.

Jazzmin
Participant

We need this feature, since we have to work with a bot-to-live chat logic, and do not want to expose our agents names.

JWSL

This would be an excellent feature as our customer support agents are at risk when using their own names. This allows malicious actors to search for these agents online (i.e., LinkedIn), which can lead to security issues for our agents and our company. We have been threatened by these malicious actors multiple times. Especially when they search LinkedIn, and these days, it's so easy to find someone person's address online.