HubSpot Ideas

kaious

Add default ownership as an option for custom objects

When someone creates a deal (or other standard object in HubSpot) the owner field defaults on the creation form to current user (the person creating the object). Whereas a custom object defaults to no owner on the creation form, even when an owner field is added.

It would be great if there was an option to have the same behaviour to automatically set the current user as an owner when a custom object is created.

Deal creation:

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 10.41.02 AM.png

Custom object creation:
Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 10.40.43 AM.png

5 Replies
KCadogan
Participant

This would be great. I recently found the same issue with our newly created custom Trial object.  

As a work around, we're going to remove the "owner" field from the create trial form and because we set it up so the trials can only be created off a deal record, we've created a workflow to copy the deal owner into the Trial owner field.

Not sure if this solve can help others in the meantime.  

trial-owner-workaround.jpg

kaious
Top Contributor

Thanks @KCadogan – that's a good point, I imagine for a lot of people a custom object can carry ownership from another CRM object, such as a deal.
In our case, we didn't necessarily have the same owner, but we had a similar workaround in that we removed the owner field, and then set it via a workflow from the created by field. Unfortunately, that requires an additional couple of steps – we trigger a workflow that sends a webhook to Zapier with the object ID and the ID of the user who created it. Worth noting though that Zapier has three steps: 1) trigger off the webhook with the ID (not owner ID) of the person who created, 2) Look up the details of that user by ID, to get the Owner ID, 3) update the object with the Owner ID. (2 & 3 we do with zapier API calls, but could now use app extensions I think)

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 8.34.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 8.41.38 AM.png

KCadogan
Participant

This is great, @kaious. Thanks so much for adding the details up there.  My deal to custom object was an easy fix but there are a few others you may have just solved for me.  Appreciate it.  

KCadogan
Participant

Also, you mentioned another pain point with your use-case - the fact that if I want to see a CRM object list view and filter by the creator I need to know the HubSpot owner ID number ahead of my list creation because you can't just filter by their name. 

I have about 400 users so creating those list views filtered by creator has been a much more daunting task then necessary.

Usually just build a report but I may be able to work with your solve above.  So thanks again!  

kaious
Top Contributor

@KCadogan no worries – glad it was useful! ...and hopefully we see some changes from HubSpot soon 🤞