HubSpot Ideas

spanishgringo

Add RegEx and wildcard support to list and workflow criteria

Please give users an option to use regex and perhaps wildcard support in criteria used for lists and workflows.

You have equals and you have contains (along with the negative version of each of those).  But neither of those work for patterns that are more complex or are more than just one term.

For example, imagine I want to set a critieria looking for Vice Presidents of Finance.  There's not good way to use contains for that pattern when looking at a title field.

Instead I need a wildcard patterns like "V*P*Finance" OR "V*P*FP&A".

Personally I'd rather write this in RegEx like "V.*P.*F(inance|P&A)"

Non tech-savvy marketers can still use wildcards just fine.  But give me the option for either. I can do a lot more with RexEx that wildcards alone can't do.

Google Analytics has had regex support from the beginning over 10 years ago. I think HubSpot can add RegEx and not overly complicate the product.

13 Replies
kbento
Contributor | Diamond Partner

I'd love to see this as well.

Jarrick
Participant | Diamond Partner

Me too! One instance where I've needed this is when trying to create a smart list of contacts who have ever had a negative lead score.

The system currently allows us to pull a list of contacts who have ever had a negative score, but you have to specify an exact score. We need a wildcard to be able to show any negative number.

erikfrye

I am looking for something like this enroll contacts in lists and workflows based on wildcard events. Each event starts with the same text "video started" or "video completed" but the video titles change.

Having a way to use a wildcard for enrollment would be a huge time saver.

markcambridge

Regex similar to GA implementation would be a dream.

The current regular expression implementation is close to useless for any advanced technical users or users working with large websites.

In addition to this dissapointment and limitation, Hubspot support is clueless when it comes to RegEx. "..this is an advanced functionality that HubSpot Support does not support, so it should only by implemented by users who are familiar with regular expressions." .. i'd barely call this advanced functionality with all its limitations.

SOURCE: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/lists/what-are-the-options-for-the-page-view-crit...

spanishgringo
Participant

Any update from HubSpot on this? This idea was requested 14 months ago.

spanishgringo
Participant

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? 

graham_bartle

It would be a perfect addition to an evolving tool

kyleh
Participant

wish there was a way to make a Reg Ex formula to pull in data from a url for our website campaigns so we can monitor it easier. This will make it easier than running a bunch of if-statements to hard code these values into a contact.

KSM
Contributor

Any update on this request?

MrBean
Top Contributor

One of the better communtiy ideas I've seen. Hubspot please deliver this feature 🙏

TH7
Contributor

Yes please give us this (without having to buy operation hub enterprise). Segementation is so important for GTM sales and marketing plays.

I'd like to craft my own personas using multiple string fields.

NearlyFriday

Yes please add a wildcard option on searches. Especially useful when we record structured reference codes. It seems strange this has been sitting here for 5 years - i imagine this to be a very useful functions

Roger
Contributor

This would really be a great benefit especially also to use in scoring strategies. 

Has anybody already tried a solution with regEx in a coded workflow? Would that be an idea in the meantime? 

Thank's for any help or idea.