HubSpot Ideas

jkeough78

Add Lazy Loading as core feature for HubSpot pages

Page speed is an important Google ranking factor now and HubSpot pages are slow. Lazy Loading would be a big help and should be fairly easy for dev team to add as a core feature as the community has laid out exactly how to do this here:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/CMS-Development/how-to-implement-lazy-loading-in-hubspot-pages-not-...

11 Replies
LPM
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

100% agree. I've had to implement it by myself every project and it's very flimsy. Dealing with SVG files it would a lot of the time fail if the dimension of the image was adjusted, images not loading in some parts like carousels, etc.

Also, since it can only be done on modules I code in myself, I basically can't use HubSpot's native image modules.

It's such an important feature, and platforms like Wordpress have plugins where everything is automated with a click of a button that makes this even more frustrating.

AliceF

We are in the same position. Having this would help a lot with Google ranking. 

Please make using HubSpot less frustrating. 

ziadi
Contributor

Hubspot, this is a MUST have feature. Especially with Google Web Vitals being included in the ranking algorithm in the coming months!

kyle4
Participant

Please implement this

wspiro
HubSpot Product Team

Thank you for submitting this idea! We are currently planning the implementation of more native lazy loading options in the image field of modules. Thank you!

jkeough78
Contributor | Partner

Great news, thank you!

LPM

@wspiro I noticed that there's an option on custom module image fields now for "Loading". I can't really tell if this is functional right now as I'm currently at the beginning of a project. Do you have any notes from the development team on whether or not this is preemptive or is it complete?

Thanks in advanced

cpak
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @LPM - Thanks for your interest in lazy loading for images! We’re close to getting this functionality out to all image fields so after the update, any custom modules created with image fields can set up lazy loading for images. We’ll have documentation and an announcement out soon, so keep an eye out!

LPM

@cpak thanks for the update. So does that mean the options on the modules right now aren't functional? If there's an option for lazyloading background image as well, then it would check all my requirements for it!

JohnLaprairie
Participant | Gold Partner

Very nice timing! I was looking into this today to try to implement on our Hubspot site and our client's sites as well.

Will each image need to be tagged as lazy loaded or be by default? I assume this can be set up in the module as such.

Is this going to be backwards compatible? If I change the option on an image module in a page template, will all pages with that template be updated on the next cache renewal? 

cpak
HubSpot Product Team

Hey folks - we just published an announcement with more context on lazy loading images here. Check it out for for context on the functionality introduced and for links to related developer documentation! 

@LPM  - the functionality to enable lazy loading on image fields in custom modules should be available at this time.

@JohnLaprairie - this isn't going to be backwards compatible with any custom modules that have used image fields prior to this update. As for the default behavior, I believe this section of our developer doc will address your question.