HubSpot Ideas

lilybond

Add Alt Text to Twitter Images

We work in the accessibility community, and it's critical that we be able to add alt text to images on Twitter so that they are accessible to blind viewers.

This is possible using Buffer to publish Twitter posts: https://faq.buffer.com/article/799-publish-image-descriptions-alt-text-for-twitter

It would be awesome if we could be inclusive of our blind Twitter followers by having HubSpot add this feature!

30 Commentaires
ArmadaHealth
Membre

We do not see any functionality for image alt text as of today when posting to Instagram. What do we have to do to ungate this feature?

kqueen
Membre

@jacquimalis - not seeing the functionality on my account yet. Would you mind looking into this? Thank you! 

jacquimalis
Équipe de développement de HubSpot

@kqueen We have ungated the feature to all, but the alt-text function will present itself when you hover over your image. Please see the loom video below with a demo of the feature, and if you still cannot find this functionality please let us know and we can look into it. https://www.loom.com/share/a47c674659084f838c74c5a3cbbbc049

ArmadaHealth
Membre

For Instagram, I still only see Edit, Replace, Remove options when I hover over an inserted image. Should I open ticket to have this looked at?

jacquimalis
Équipe de développement de HubSpot

@ArmadaHealth this functionalitiy is currently only available for Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook. It is not currently available for Instagram, once Instagram releases this API functionality our team will work on having it available for our customers.

kqueen
Membre

@jacquimalis thanks - I understand now!

HazelS
Membre

Hi. I have used the Image description for tweets a couple of times now. I have also had a couple of blind colleagues check the output with their screen readers and they're happy. Smiley heureux This is good news and will save using Buffer for Twitter and reduce the amount of tracking URLs we have to create. Phew! Couple of questions:

Is there a reason we're restricted to 200 characters and yet on Twitter I can describe an image with 420 characters?

Also (not sure if I am missing something) but I don't seem able to edit/add image descriptions to posts that are in my drafts.

SarahW1
Membre

Hi. I have tried the new Alt Text function for a Twitter post. 

It seems that you can only add the alt text if you add the image to the post first. There is no option to add the image decription if you have put your text in first before adding the image. Is this a bug?

ShellyK
Membre

@jacquimalis I have also tried to use the Alt Text for Twitter images.  Though I can add Alt Text to an image, if the post has a website link the link preview or image overrides the image I added and I cannot add Alt Text to the image created by the link.  I have tried several times, but cannot seem to get it to work for website generated images.  This is something I can do in Buffer, I can add Alt Text to website generated previews or images.

jtsang
Participant

I am having the same problem above. I can't add alt text to an image if I replace a website link generated image with seperate image in a social post.