HubSpot Ideas

katie_cort

Activities logged on child company should roll up to parent company

Noted in this documentation:

Question: Is there any data transfer between parent and child companies?

Answer:

"No. Right now, all associated contacts and deals, as well as all activities logged on the company records, will remain on the company record. There is no data sync between parent and child companies and no data will roll up to the parent company. "

If someone is emailing a contact at a child company, that logged activity, as well as upcoming meetings, notes, tasks etc should also be logged onto the parent company so that someone can keep track of all the important engagements in one place easily without needing to click between records to find important details.

21 Replies
DFL

This is a super valuable idea specially for activities down the pipeline such as renewals and customer success. 

GCollins9

Data transfer between parent and child companies would be a huge benefit to my company in our efforts to both sell to and report on our success with large public sector organisations.  

BennyP
Contributor

This idea should have many more upvotes...it's VITAL for all those companies using hierarchies on Hubspot (Parent > Child relationship). 

If a company has many child companies, it is impossible to look into every company and understand engagement. Also, the fact that we cannot create workflows between a Parent and Child makes it just difficult to work on Hubspot for all those companies which have prospects that need to be created respecting the hierarchy. Ideally - if activity is not reflected at a Parent company - we could copy some company fields from the child company to the parent company in order to have an idea of what's going on witout getting into specifics (but not possible). 

Hubspot, is this something which is in the roadmap or plans to be? 

ftarara
Contributor

Yes, this should be an easy option to turn on/off!

JBigbee
Participant

It is insane that this isn't implemented. What is the point of having child/parent companies if you can't do this? For example, say you have McDonalds Corporate as the parent and then 100 individual McDonalds franchise as the child companies. If I wanted to see all the communications I have had with McDonalds, I would think I could just look to the parent company and it will show me everything. It doesn't. Instead, I have to open 100 tabs, each of them being a different child company, and manually check each one for communication with our team. How has this not been fixed yet? Another GAPING flaw in Hubspot's CRM if you ask me. 

BennyP
Contributor

Definitely agree @JBigbee, we're having to do the same. And because it's too time consuming we've now pushed contacts to the parent company so that we can have all activity there. Yet this is no solution because this means that you lose the relationship of contacts and no longer exactly know where they work at. 

I've enabled the multiple association so that a contact could have more than one company associated, believing this could do the trick. However, activity is only mirrored at the primary company and hence it's again not a proper solution.... 

@GCollins9 how are you currently working given the Hubspot limitations? 

And does anyone have an update on whether this is on Hubspot's roadmap? 

Many thanks!! 

SBrieger

Thumbs up for this idea. Often you create a child and find out it belongs to a parent, at which point you want to use the parent as foundation for all activities. If the child account when linked auto-transferred all activities to the parent it would make things a lot easier.

JuwelAK

This and some other features are so crucial. I dont understand how the senior managers at HUBSPOT have not thought about this. Its crazy. It shows that are great at CRM functionality but lacking data relationship and businesses understanding. Very disappointed. Might look at other soltuions. :<(

jzeesman
Participant | Gold Partner

I definitely agree with everyone here. That being said, I can see how all that rolled-up activity could easily clog the parent company's activity feed. As a result, I recommend we not only have a new filter that allows for the toggling of child-company activities (maybe it's an all-or-nothing toggle), and potentially a new tab to see child-company activities (potentially we could toggle each child company).

BennyP
Contributor

That's a great suggestion @jzeesman!

Hubspot, do we have any update on this? It would be super super helpful. Working with hierarchical structures is very painful at the moment with Hubspot 

katie_cort
HubSpot Employee

@jzeesman This is a great idea! Hopefully if product ever implements this feature, there will be more options available to ensure the parent company record does not get too messy (especially if there are several children associated)😊

TTupou

This is a great idea! Much more valuable to us when using target account feature. 

OSipinen

This would be great to have! 

BennyP
Contributor

Same @TTupou - we're also using the "Target Account" features and, whilst it has some good things, the lack of complete activity visibility is causing issues. 😞 

CHarper92

I am hopeful the HubSpot team will realize the impact this missing functionality is causing, or someone will post a nifty fix/workaround that I am unaware of. 

Parent company is pitched as a method to group companies together; however, basic functionality and tools within the platform do not acknowledge the relationship. This creates a huge gap in operational workflows that lead to tedious operational inefficiencies, increased occurrences of miscommunication, and a poor customer experience.

Example:

Parent company has 10 child companies and 50 contacts. We need to ensure that all of the companies receive an email with an update to their account/contract. We can send the email to all contacts associated with the parent company. This updates the associated contact records...but not the child company records. Fast forward, a contact calls into Customer support and the company record is pulled up. There is no record of the communication. The customer support rep needs to open the parent and/or the contact record to see the communication even though it is specific to the child company. This leads can lead to an appearance of disorganization or worse...the customer support rep may not see the communications at all and provide inaccurate information to the customer.

The workaround for this is that the activity would need to be manually logged on each of the 10 child company records. So our teams hunt for information because we can not make it readily available to them, or they do redundant data entry that can be prone to error, especially in larger relationships. Many of our parent companies have 15+ child locations. Should our teams really have to log each activity 15+ times?

Now let's say this same Parent company is a Target account...none of the Child company information pulls over in the Target accounts tool.

Please enable the ability to select child locations as associations from the parent record and provide a method to track Target/strategic accounts at the parent level.

JuwelAK

Could not agree more. For such a large firm how is HUBSPOT not understanding the UX, user journey & needs. Its quite simple. 
We are already looking at other options - if anyone has any competitors please post! It might make people at HUBSPOT take notice. 

DigitalImpact
Participant | Diamond Partner

Any updates to this idea? It's been 2 1/2 years and it's a feature that is sorely lacking in HubSpot.

PatienceSeow
HubSpot Employee

+1 Upvoting this idea on behalf of my customer! 

tmitch_sona
Participant

Please can we let parent and child companies talk to each other! It's so frustrating that they can't within native Hubspot functionality, seems to totally defeat the object of having a hierarchy.a

CJesperson

Just working on organizing some of our leads now by organizing into Parent/Child relationships and very surprised to find out they don't communicate. Not sure on the reason to link them without activity and notes being tracked to Parent...