HubSpot Ideas

CBentley

Ability to turn off attachments in Chatflows

Hubspot recently added the ability to attach images and files under 10mb, but now it is always there with no option to turn off. Anyone can send our chat operators any images or files whether we want them or not.

We work in the reproductive health industry and this is an issue for our business for two reasons:

1. We do not use Hubspot to interact with any personal health data for our leads or clients and now people can send forms that should not be collected by support.

2. We attract a certain type of spam working with the reproductive process and now any website visitor could send our operators explicit images over anonymous chat.

All we would need is an on/off button for enabling attachments or not.

5 Replies
bheo
HubSpot Employee

I completely second this idea.

HubSpot's chat widget comes in handy for a lot of businesses, but it also opens a channel for visitors to send unnecessary and even inappropriate files to the website. I understand the need for attachments for a lot of businesses- and so creating an option to toggle this on and off would be ideal. 

GeoComb
Participant

Here's a fix. A rollout is coming.

Here's what Support had to say:

Thanks so much for your patience while I was digging into this for you. I spoke with one of the product managers from our engineering team, and am happy to report that not only are we getting ready to roll out a beta for this feature, but I actually have a workaround that you can implement right now to disable the file upload feature in your chat widget.

You will just need to add the following script to the head HTML of any page with your chat widget on it. Seeing asyour chatflow looks to be targeting all website pages, I'd recommend adding the script at the domain-level if possible. Here is that script:

<script>
  window.hsConversationsSettings = {
    disableAttachment: true
  }
</script>

I used a simple block with that snippet in the footer with my Drupal site. Worked great. Looking forward to the rollout of the switch in settings.

RichardA

Have there been any further developments to this?  I'd much rather be able to disable the feature centrally via an 'allow attachments?' button, than by editing a script on a webpage (or across several pages).

Thanks,

Richard

JBobin

Hey HubSpot - my Live chat person is getting explicit images regularly through Live chat.  We have strong SEO and advertising that pulls in a lot of web chat, which is beneficial for sales.  However we have NO need for images to be attached to any inbound chat.

We have a great female employee doing chat for us and is receiving daily explicit images.  This is nearing sexual harassment, and this employee is complaining about this and there's nothing we can do for her.  Simply put, it's irresponsible of HubSpot to allow any image to be attached to your live chat client, with your customer having no control over this.  We will not have a developer deploy your script throughout our website - it should be an On/Off switch just like you have for many other features.  

Since tens of your customers have already asked about this, how about deploying this fix soon?

Jack

spencer_martin
HubSpot Employee

It looks like this is something that can be disabled via API, but not currently in-app (documentation here). For users who do not have access to a developer, this would be very helpful to be able to toggle on/off in-app.